Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
No Insurance? Taxes not payed? = No fuel for you...!!!

There today, here tomorrow...???

You will be assimilated...

CCTV at petrol stations will automatically stop uninsured cars being filled with fuel - Mirror Online

CCTV at petrol stations will automatically stop uninsured cars being filled with fuel

Downing Street officials hope the hi-tech system will crack down on the 1.4million motorists who drive without insurance

Cameras at petrol stations will automatically stop uninsured or untaxed vehicles from being filled with fuel, under new government plans.

Downing Street officials hope the hi-tech system will crack down on the 1.4million motorists who drive without insurance.

Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras are already fitted in thousands of petrol station forecourts.

Drivers can only fill their cars with fuel once the camera has captured and logged the vehicle’s number plate.

Currently the system is designed to deter motorists from driving off without paying for petrol.

But under the new plans, the cameras will automatically cross-refererence with the DVLA’s huge database.

When a car is flagged as being uninsured or untaxed, the system will prevent the fuel pump being used on that vehicle.

The proposals will have a huge impact - forcing drivers to insure and tax their car if they want to drive.

One in 25 drivers in the UK do not have insurance - one of the worst records in western Europe.

According to recent figures, around 160 people are killed and 23,000 injured by uninsured and untraced drivers every year.

Downing Street officials are due to meet representatives from the major fuel companies in the next few weeks to discuss the idea.

But some petrol retailers said the proposals were a “step too far” - claiming they put cashiers at risk.

Brian Madderson, from RMI Petrol, which represents independent petrol stations, said: “Staff are already getting stick from motorists for high fuel prices.

“This proposal will increase the potential for conflict. Our cashiers are not law enforcers.”

>

Don't get me wrong, everybody should follow the rules.

The question is, where will the line be drawn...???

Similar tactics could also be used for,

Parking tickets

or

Maybe your late on the electric bill?

House payment?

Child support?

Credit card over due?

You name it...

And, if you give them a inch, they'll take a mile.

Welcome to bigger brother...

This is what I'm afraid it's coming to.

>

>

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
LOL. What if you make your own fuel, I suppose that means an automatic jail term for being subversive?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Panzerwagon - '02 Skoda Fabia
90 day: 53.88 mpg (US)
It's not a bad idea. Many of the ininsured drivers aren't neccesarily UK nationals so it can be hard tracking the owners down.

Re: Making your own fuel requires you to pay fuel duty on it AFAIK, so there's some paper trail involved.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Just add the insurance and the tax in the price of the fuel. Then everybody is covered.
The Following User Says Thank You to nemo For This Useful Post:
Ryland (03-13-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...obviously, England's BIG Brother is 'bigger' than America's BIG (Uncle Sam) Brother...at the moment.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm ok with no insurance no fuel, and people who loan there cars to drunks should loose all of their cars and be liabable for all damages.

Better yet, why am I paying insurance on your car and my car, your paying insurance on your car and mine. Let's just insure our own just like our body's with health issurance and be done. Yeah it sucks to pay when someone else fault, but 99% of the time each of our rates would be lower.

BS on adding it to the cost of fuel, I have no accidents ever, I don't want to pay average rates, me, my wife and my 19 yo daughter are better than average.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
At this point they already know who you are, so why not have the cost of the fuel pulled from your bank account as well?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
I can see a lot of flaws with this system. I'm boycotting pumps that require my zip code, so any station that does this I will be boycotting as well.

One situation that is a problem:
You buy a used car... so no license plate.... you can't fuel it up before going home?
Dealer temp plates wouldn't work for this as well?
If this system was made, I suspect license plates would be stolen by those who don't have insurance, or maybe even print their own licence plates that is copying someone else's numbers since it is an automated system, it couldn't tell the difference too easly.

Next thing they will want to do is track your milage and tax you more for better MPGs since you pay less road tax than others, and double slam people with trucks or older cars.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
At this point they already know who you are, so why not have the cost of the fuel pulled from your bank account as well?
Heck, why not just get shot in the head? The govt already says it has the right to.

The way things are moving sux, Orwell was right, and the idiot sheeple love it and say "bring more of it onto me".

Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Panzerwagon - '02 Skoda Fabia
90 day: 53.88 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
One situation that is a problem:
You buy a used car... so no license plate.... you can't fuel it up before going home?
Dealer temp plates wouldn't work for this as well?
Not an issue in the UK where plates are assigned to the car, not the person.

Quote:
If this system was made, I suspect license plates would be stolen by those who don't have insurance, or maybe even print their own licence plates that is copying someone else's numbers since it is an automated system, it couldn't tell the difference too easly.
Number plate theft is already fairly common. My dad had the number plates stolen off his Citroen AX twice, so drove around with stick-on plates until the next MOT, on one occasion 11 months later.

The police even knocked on the door after someone used the plates to steal petrol, though they already knew the plates had been nicked, as soon as he pointed out the real holder of the plates was a diesel they apologised and left.

Reply  Post New Thread