Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #31 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
This is interesting. UPS has been using Bicycles to deliver for a couple of years now. More on Wiki

I've seen in a few places that the left turn program failed in the UK but can't find anything to confirm that. Anybody else know?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
epic stock master

86 Accord LX (carb) - '86 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 35.57 mpg (US)
i suppose the UK;s round abouts solve the no left turn issue by default.
maybe they don;t have as many as i think.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
This is interesting. UPS has been using Bicycles to deliver for a couple of years now. More on Wiki

I've seen in a few places that the left turn program failed in the UK but can't find anything to confirm that. Anybody else know?
Oh, "I read it on Wiki so it must be true."

Assuming that it IS true (on the Left coast, as Wiki and the article said?) I'd like to see it implemented here: have them leave the bike in the middle of the street, same as they do with their trucks. It would be either run over or stolen before the delivery is made.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #34 (permalink)
epic stock master

86 Accord LX (carb) - '86 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 35.57 mpg (US)
wait a minute! the UK drives on the wrong side of the road... so they would actually be trying to avoid right turns...
silly lazarus. you tricked us.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #35 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
Oh, "I read it on Wiki so it must be true."

Assuming that it IS true (on the Left coast, as Wiki and the article said?) I'd like to see it implemented here: have them leave the bike in the middle of the street, same as they do with their trucks. It would be either run over or stolen before the delivery is made.
Geez dude why the hate Did UPS not deliver your trike on time when you were a kid.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lazarus For This Useful Post:
wdb (01-12-2010)
Old 01-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Geez dude why the hate Did UPS not deliver your trike on time when you were a kid.
"Hate"? I am simply critical of their practice of parking their trucks in the middle of the street.

You have an odd definition of what "hate" is.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:39 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoMod Wannabe

Taurusaurus Rex - '97 Ford Taurus GL (Sedan)
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Blue Wagon - '00 Ford Taurus Wagon SE Comfort
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
I talked to my friend who is truck driver at UPS and he says the no left turn rule is that for example, you are driving up main street- there are culdesacs on the left and the right. Here is a diagram of what NOT to do (left turns) and one of what you SHOULD do:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	5348  
Old 01-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
"Hate"? I am simply critical of their practice of parking their trucks in the middle of the street.

You have an odd definition of what "hate" is.
[...]
I'd like to hear a better rationalization for them not wanting to park at the curb
UPS does seem to get your blood pressure up Thyme. Frankly if the UPS guys park for thirty seconds in the street and it gets my packages to me faster I'm all for it.

I can come up with at least four explanations better than not wearing out the steering:
  1. They don't want to get blocked in
  2. It's simply faster to drive up, deliver the package and drive off rather than having to park or steer around cars
  3. The drivers may be tired and pulling the truck to the curb a hundred times a day is hard work.
  4. 30 seconds saved on each of 100 deliveries is nearly an hour sooner they can go home.
It's Occam's Razor, Thyme - the simplest explanation is almost always the correct one, and a secret corporate rule not to turn the steering wheel to save wear on the steering is a complex explanation involving lawyers, accountants, managers and executives. My theory is that is simply faster.

=====
Sean T, that left turn guidance you posted makes a lot of sense over a rule to never make a left turn.

Last edited by instarx; 01-13-2010 at 07:37 AM..
Old 01-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #39 (permalink)
38 time NHRA/IHRA Champ

I retired from the Post Office and now they are starting to use the no left turn method....it is NOT for FE, but for accident prevention. The majority of the wrecks happened while drivers made left turns without being carefull enough. They are now starting to put gps tracking units into several mail trucks to track speed and length of stops to keep track of their workers...I would have welcomed that when I carried so the supers could really see that I was NOT wasting time, not taking extended breaks, or going off my delivery area!

05 SRT4-12.17@117 mph on DOTs-31.0 mpg-SOLD
96 Geo Metro-3 banger-60.1 mpg-SOLD
95 BMW M3-13.41 @ 106 mph-31mpg-SOLD
77 Chevy Monza with 350/350-FOR SALE
84 Horizon-1880 lbs-29 mpg
95 Neon-43 mpg
99 Z28-10.80 @ 127 mph-27.1mpg
2011 Prius-62.1 wife's
Old 01-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarx View Post

I can come up with at least four explanations better than not wearing out the steering:[LIST=1][*]They don't want to get blocked in
Not true in suburban areas. That's extremely unlikely.

Quote:
[*]It's simply faster to drive up, deliver the package and drive off rather than having to park or steer around cars
True

Quote:
[*]The drivers may be tired and pulling the truck to the curb a hundred times a day is hard work.
So is driving a cab, a city bus, etc., etc.. Others that drive for a living don't flaunt the law like UPS does. Are UPS drivers the only ones that become tired? Does that make them deserving of special privilege?

Quote:
[*]30 seconds saved on each of 100 deliveries is nearly an hour sooner they can go home.
True. But what gives them the right to do what no other delivery service does?

Ultimately, it's still hazardous and it's illegal.

So why I don't see any Fed-Ex trucks doing it? If it were only one or two UPS trucks I've seen doing it, I would agree with you. However, when we see a majority of them doing this more often than not, it's more than coincidental. And since only UPS does it, and no other company does, it's likely they are being told to do it.

Reply  Post New Thread