Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

N8sPony - '98 Ford Mustang
all I gots to say is...AWESOME! I've been working on this exact thing off and on for a while and thought I was completely on my own, nice to know there's others more intelligent than I working on it as well. I built a usb-obdii interface using a pic and it works with pwm, which is what my car uses. I've got an extra set of chips from that project that I could use if it comes down to it, but I'd rather just use straight arduino if I can. Anyone seen any of the low-level info about pwm, besides the message formats and such? So far all I have is my 4x20 lcd hooked up and laid out, and the message frames all compiled, I just have to figure out how to get the right signals sent (whether I need to use a rs232 converter chip or if I could bit bang it or something).

Oh yeah, and another thing I learned from my last project is...SAMPLES!!!! I didn't have to pay for a single chip on that project, plus I have extras now to use if need be

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wolf - '96 Volkswagen Golf Mk3 TDI
90 day: 47.5 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to scratch
I have an arduino board and I was looking into doing the same thing! I haven't started because I lacked the time... Untill now. I will place a sample order too, allthough it costs money for oversea sampling (6$), its still cheaper as at farnell (actually not, but i need to order 98 pcs at least over there)...
Well, I'm folowing this thread very closely, and I'll try to contribute some code
Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
OBDuino coder

Titine - '13 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
n8thegr8 and scratch, welcome aboard

My car use ISO (and CAN) but I will focus mainly on ISO protocol.

For PWM unfortunatly I don't know a lot about it :-/

scratch: it costs also $6 for the shipping to Canada, I ordered 2 samples.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

N8sPony - '98 Ford Mustang
Thanks! well, from what I've gathered, and looking at the schematics from the usb adapter I built, there should be no extra hardware needed for pwm, as the pic on that board just drives 2 transistors for 5v (which I think is what the arduino digital pins are, no?). I've also gathered that pwm at the physical layer is a balanced bus of +/- 5v in reference to each other. I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around it, but it's comforting that we should be able to do it without extra hardware.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Spectra - '08 KIA Spectra EX
Question DIY OBDII MPG Display

I have most of the parts on the way for the freeduino setup. I also have the chip and the LCD coming. Once I have everything connected, Im not sure how to do the programing for the device. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly welcome.

P.S. Sorry if i havent read enough of the other threads on this forum, But im new at this and need help.

Thanks Everyone
Old 06-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
OBDuino coder

Everything about the *duino board can be found here:

Arduino - HomePage

Download the IDE from their web site and install it. Once you have a little program made, in the IDE you can compile it and send it to the board via Serial/USB.

Note that the "OBDuino" project is very very young for the moment, we have the hardware but no software
Old 06-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Spectra - '08 KIA Spectra EX
Thanks.

That helps out some. One big problem is that I know NOTHING about programming. And that being the case I should probably give up. If anyone has some code already written that I could use it would be greatly appreceated. Also is there anything else I need?

Current items on the way:

1 freeduino v2.0 board
1 2x16 LCD display
1 MCZ33290EF sample from freescale
1 serial to obdII cable

If there is anything else I need, please let me know.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
OBDuino coder

I plan to plug the OBD2 signal (from the freescale chip) on pin 2 and 3 of the board, the RS232 on the board will be used to send debug message on a terminal screen, so you will have to either make an adapter or cut your obd2-serial cable to plug the right pins.

For the moment, no, there is absolutly no "OBDuino" code for the project!! I started to write some code, blindly, as I have no hardware to play with!
Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

NewBlue - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 38.13 mpg (US)

The Better Half - '97 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 25.84 mpg (US)
I will work on getting parts ordered tonight and start building, I might be able to help with the code once I get the hardware.
Starting point 30mpg ready...... GO.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
OBDuino coder

Thanks Bluecivic!

hé, we're not that far, I go through Albany when I go in vacation

I continued my code to write a function to send an ISO string, a command is 7 bytes length maximum IIRC. The same function will return the response and the number of received bytes.

I plan to have four pointers to function to display the four info in the four corners, prototype something like
void (*topleft)(void);
void (*topright)(void);
void (*bottomleft)(void);
void (*bottomright)(void);

then in the config it will assign what you want, e.g. if you want to have the instant MPG in the top left, the config will assign the pointer of the function to the topleft() one. Let's assume a function cal_inst_mpg() calculate it, the config will just do:

topleft=cal_inst_mpg;

and in the loop() it will do:

loop()
{
// read a couple of value
iso_read_whatever

// display on LCD
lcd.gotoXY(0,0);
topleft();
lcd.gotoXY(8,0);
topright();
lcd.gotoXY(0,1);
bottomleft();
lcd.gotoXY(8,1);
bottomright();
}

but hé, I go too far, let's receive the board and solder it before!

Tags
obd2