Register Now

View Poll Results: Is it ok to bring your own food and drink to the movies
Yes 20 68.97%
Yes if I have a medical need 8 27.59%
No 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #31 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
they did raise their price

a ticket is almost $10 now

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Old Tele man -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...being diabetic, I *always* bring my own "goodies"--right along with my "Doctors' Note" saying I can.

...so, guess which answer I selected?

P.S.--guess how "old" that "Dr's Note" is by now!
Calling Dr. Kildare, calling Dr. Kildare ...

My Dad's a diabetic, so I understand beyond completely that it's literally a life-and-death requirement.

I miss going to the movies, but my life is too messy to afford the time. Truly sad. Poor me, .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 03-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #33 (permalink)
2000 Honda Insight

I know this is an old thread but I saw this video and thought of this thread.
When I was in high school, I used to have a very small income and spending a bunch of popcorn and a drink was a big deal so I came in chewing a good long lasting gum and I didn't miss the popcorn or get thirsty. Then after doing that for awhile, I realized that I'm not buying their stuff anyway and would bring in my own can to drink and since I couldn't afford to buy the food anyway, they weren't going to be at a loss either way.

I've even had people working at the theaters notice me bringing stuff in because a few times I got lazy about hiding it and it was t-shirt, shorts, and sandals weather but nobody really cared that much that every pocket was bulging with goodies. If they did give me crap for it, I would stop frequenting their theaters because they are a dime a dozen now.

Now that high school is in the distant past for me, I've enjoyed going to theaters that have 21+ theater rooms and a liquor license. Their full service bar has prices that are similar to a bar and the fun part is I can get a few beers for the price of one drink at a different theater and they have bacon popcorn. I don't usually spend money at theaters often and go to a restaurant with wait-staff less than once a month and don't go to coffee shops or other pricey luxuries that mostly charge for a service and I do my own oil changes. Now if I go to a movie, I go to the nearest one that I walk to from my house early on Mon-Thursday when they have $5. I like to drink a little bit of alcohol at the theater and its hard to hide enough in to feel it and still have it be drinkable. I buy their slushy which is the same price as their standard drink and I dump my flask in. Now they get their concession and I pay the premium for watching a movie before its released in a cheaper venue outside the theater. This is usually only when I have a favorite actress in a movie or there is a must-watch movie and usually I use gift cards that I get on birthdays and Christmas so it doesn't cost me cash that I could send other ways anyway. For everything else, Red Box is $2 for a Blu Ray and I watch it using my 1080P projector($655) on a 95" piece of my wall that I painted with $20 or whatever for a gallon of Behr Silverscreen paint from Home Depot, the screen is effectively bigger than the theater and I have as much popcorn and drinks I want and can be social with friends without being rude to people paying big bucks. Anyway, here is the video of how we all felt when we were youngins' smuggling in the goodies from outside. opcorn:

Old 03-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Does anyone still go to the drive-in movies? I used to love them when I was younger..

I had an ancient 1953 Ford Anglia where, if I parked at the correct angle, I could put the front seat-back down, and recline on the back seat with both legs stretched straight out!

It used to cost about 30c a head - but I worked for what was then 20th Century Fox Theatres (Southern Africa) so, as long as I was driving, I always got myself and all my pals in for free!

We ate and drank whatever the heck we wanted to eat! Fried Chicken was popular... Great Fun!

My car looked something like this!

It could do almost 60mph - which was pretty scary - and had cable operated brakes!!!

Last edited by kingsway; 03-08-2012 at 11:34 AM..
Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post

So, in terms of profit, garages are auto parts stores first and foremost. Stores with a HUGE markup and a nice network of just-in-time suppliers. And yet, garages go out of business all the time. I guess $70/hr just isn't enough, when a technician costs you $20/hr.

I do all my own work on my cars.
My VW Golf had a broken mounting for the Cat convertor. The local VW stealer wanted nearly UK£1000 to fix it.... I said 'no thanks' and went down the road to the local exhaust place and had it welded for UK£20.00

That was 2 years ago, and it's still going strong... (I could get a new cat on ebay for UK£150-00)
Old 03-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #36 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I would never bring food into a theater, because when I do go (every couple or three years) I go to one that serves dinner and drinks. Yes it's expensive, but it's a great treat.

As for a garage, "Install customer supplied parts" is one thing. The customer has diagnosed the problem, specified and bought the parts and the shop isn't responsible for solving the underlying problem or even caring about what the hell is going on (as long as it isn't blatantly illegal). If the shop does all those associated tasks, don't screw them. The markup they make on parts isn't pure profit; it covers the time and money they spent putting together the package they told you about. I'm a parts guy, and the store doesn't pay me to hand the customer everything he needs to go out and buy parts elsewhere while his car is tying up one of our lifts. You wouldn't ask the movie theater to pop your store bought popcorn for you, so don't ask the tech and parts counter to spend their time on you for free, either.

But if all I'm buying is a ticket to see a movie, I'll probably bring food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Reply  Post New Thread