Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #151 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
The reason I say temporary is that we want to use it, as is, immediately but improve it later as weather and time permit. We would like to do this with the least impact on the stream and avoid putting in a giant culvert. We would also like to use the recycled steel and other materials we have available but that would be impossible if we get the local government involved. They claim to be green but they seem to over engineer everything which leads to waste and destruction. So we will build a "temporary" 30 year bridge. That way we are not doing anything illegal and we are reducing the impact on the stream. It is having enough of a struggle with the increased flow as it is.

Load wise, it would be important that delivery trucks could use it, but for now the Previa at 4000 lbs loaded would be the max. I will probably add the side trusses and a centre I beam later so it can carry trucks.

The tubes are oriented with the 5" vertical and are already capped. I will create some kind of pads to raise them up and keep them dry soon.

I'll take some pictures so I save a lot of explanation suffice it to say, there is room for the water to go now and it's very unlikely that it would ever touch the new structure.

If we get the local government involved, it would have to wait till spring in any event so we need a temporary solution

I would assume it to be mild steel to be safe, but I will do a spark test later to see if it's structural grade. They were used in a large building previously, so I would think they are structural grade but I don't know.

I was just reminded of the most important load requirement: Fire trucks.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Last edited by orange4boy; 12-23-2009 at 01:13 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #152 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
. . .
I was just reminded of the most important load requirement: Fire trucks.
OWCH!

I think you were OK for just vehicles but a quick check showed fire trucks can be 20-60,000 lbs depending upon size. Probably a quick phone call to the local fire department can answer the question. Regardless, I'll try to work up a 'back of the envelope' analysis later this evening. ... Footers become very important as weight increases and I'm no civil engineer. Those guys get paid big bucks for good reason ... ever try to analyze 'dirt?'

Bob Wilson
Old 12-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #153 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Probably a quick phone call to the local fire department can answer the question.
I'll do that.

Quote:
Footers become very important as weight increases and I'm no civil engineer. Those guys get paid big bucks for good reason ... ever try to analyze 'dirt?'
I think dirt is like wood if only in the sense that it is always moving. Wood does come from dirt after all.

I just remembered, I have friend who is a dirt expert/road engineer (can't remember the correct title) Is it civil engineer? Anyway, I haven't talked to him in years but I'm sure he could give me some idea as to footer size/design.

Since the footers should probably be farther from the edge of the embankment, I think I'm going to put the footers in beyond the existing truss ends and then extend the tubes over the pads with some heavier gauge material welded on. That way I don't have to dig under the existing trusses and I get the extra length. Welding is easy and fast.

Thanks for your help Bob.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:08 AM   #154 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Got the bridge set up for now. Works fine. Going to lay off the work for a while and enjoy the holidays. Back atter in the new year.

Didn't have time for pics again today.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:14 AM   #155 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Got the bridge set up for now. Works fine. Going to lay off the work for a while and enjoy the holidays. Back atter in the new year.

Didn't have time for pics again today.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Chill out, have a 'nog, maybe some warmed cider, and relax with your family, man. That's what I'm doing all week, aside from maybe tinkering on my new MKIII Golf while the wife helps her sister make holiday goodies!

Happy holidays to you and yours, my friend.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:37 AM   #156 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sorry, should have said merry Christmas

A nog and a cider sounds just right. Save me some turkey eh?.

Cheers!

Last edited by orange4boy; 12-24-2009 at 02:48 AM..
Old 12-24-2009, 02:39 AM   #157 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Oh Noes!!!

Old 01-21-2010, 01:26 AM   #158 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lots to report. Returned from a long road trip.

New tires: Nokian WR G2 185 65 14 XL. T rated. LRR silica/canola tread and non toxic. Absolutely love them. Have them at max sidewall of 51 psi front 49 rear. They are getting nicely worn in and the car now coasts like it should. The van used to coast better (it's on LRR Costco/Michelin Radial X tires) but now they are about equal. I can finally P&G and get 80-84 mpg on the flat. The honey got 63 mpg without trying. That's without the +2% for larger diameter.

Picked up a circulation tank heater for the engine block so I need to find the lower engine block coolant drain if there is one. I may still install it inline with the heater core and force heat the block that way. It also just occurred to me that one could be installed to pre warm the transaxle too. I notice that the mpgs don't get really good until that sucker is above 50˚C.

The HV battery has awoken from all the use it got driving to Caly and back. Saw full bars for the first time coming back from Miur Woods. That sucker really likes it warm too: ~ 20˚C. Still thinking about a heater for it.

Yes, I'm in full efficiency optimization mode. I've seen the difference in mileage here on the island between cold and warm and it's about 2:1. Also, It's real nice to be warm.

Last edited by orange4boy; 01-21-2010 at 01:32 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to orange4boy For This Useful Post:
bwilson4web (01-21-2010)
Old 01-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #159 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
I've seen the difference in mileage here on the island between cold and warm and it's about 2:1. Also, It's real nice to be warm.
I can second that. The cold has made a huge impact on my Prius' mileage. My worst tank this winter has been 39 mpg. That is down 30% from my summer average. Gotta find more ways to keep her toasty.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #160 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I know my van goes from 25 mpg average summer to 16 mpg average in the dead of a western New York winter. I am reading you heater post with passion!

Reply  Post New Thread