Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #521 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wow you guys are amazing... I wanted to get my post count up so that I coul PM folks about an IGBT power section for Paul's DC controller, and bam! I find this.

Do any of you sleep? Yea, me either when I get excited about something.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #522 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ChiefsBuggy - '66 VW Dune Buggy Type 1 w/ Boss Bug body Bondo?
TI app note on FOC.

Basic, but good stuff.

focus.ti.com/lit/an/bpra073/bpra073.pdf
Old 05-20-2011, 03:01 AM   #523 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsBuggy View Post
Paul,

Seems like you started down the IGBT path and are now working on a MOSFET power section? Are you looking for a cheaper Power section or is there some other characteristic you are designing for?

I plan to be first in line to buy a kit when its ready. I've finished my 1966 Boss Bug dune buggy... all it needs is motor and controller. Motor is targeted to be an AC-50 from HiPerf (no curtis controller thank you).

Your dedication and tenacity is inspiring. I feel like I know you pretty well after reading posts in this and the big open revolt forums!

Jim
Paul is building this controller in two parts for flexibility. He's working on two different Power Stages (one MOSFET, one IGBT) so that if your system voltage is low, you can have a cheaper more efficient MOSFET version, or if you have higher voltage, the IGBT version. Note that the Logic board will work for many different motor types and changing the power-stage will allow you to scale to whatever size/type motor (excluding DC).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Devon_Heron For This Useful Post:
Alcibiades Ramos (03-28-2012), gtx90 (05-20-2011), MPaulHolmes (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #524 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon_Heron View Post
(excluding DC).
hmmm... how about if you

- connect those 3 phases together (with a 3' ballast, if needed) to one side of the motor and ground return to the other. Drive all switches simultaneously for 3x current driving DC controller.

- or use two of the phases for a full bridge config so you can move the motor forward/reverse or regen with a PM/sepex motor.

- or use the 3rd phase for field (weakening) on sepex motors.

- or use that third phase as a buck converter for a charger/DC-DC.

- extra phases make great pets too. I'm walking one just now... oh need to scoop, later.

JR
The Following User Says Thank You to JRoque For This Useful Post:
Electroddy (10-23-2012)
Old 05-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #525 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoque View Post

- extra phases make great pets too. I'm walking one just now... oh need to scoop, later.

JR
(bending down to pat your pet-phase) --- Oh what a cute, sweet little phase ... he looks so (ZAPPP! ) ...

Crap, didn't see that cap hanging around his collar! Discharge that thing before you take it out!

[I really should have gotten some sleep last night]
The Following User Says Thank You to ChiefsBuggy For This Useful Post:
Electroddy (10-23-2012)
Old 05-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #526 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automcdonough View Post
looks like I'm not too late to this party. I'm an EE with experience making DC-DC converters and rectifiers.. mostly in the 300W~2kW range.. 360VDC input side.
I just now came across this in my quest to DIY a motor driver.. I might have had some circuits to toss at you for the DC version but I'd rather concentrate on this as I'm on a mission for AC.

I remembered that I saw a post from AutoMcDonough offering to help with DC-DC design. Just a thought, but since this is your space, and since Paul is designing out the expensive/hard-to-find DC-DC, this might be a great back-up option if the parts count is low and inexpensive. What is interesting about your offer is that you've got experience powering the DC-DC from the high-side. That is an interesting twist, except pack voltages are all different in our applications. Basically, we move the opto's to the other side. Just a thought, but since this is your space, and since Paul is designing out the expensive/hard-to-find DC-DC, this might be a great back-up option if the parts count is low and inexpensive. Well, maybe you have a good isolated DC-DC powered by the controller voltage?

One last thought... I saw a high-side/low-side IGBT driver with an appnote that didn't require DC-DC. The IGBT driver could drive the 20v and tolerate the batt voltage directly. Now, where did I find that driver chip? I left it somewhere in this Internet.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #527 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Dude just verbed IGBT!!!
As mentioned in the Jargon File, for Hackers, any noun can be verbed. (And if they're feeling particularly perverse, any verb can be nouned).
Old 05-31-2011, 06:12 AM   #528 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

this is a little late but , why use 01-03 prius interver and transaxle at $500 for trans. and $500 for the inverter . trans axcle has 35 hp and 15 hp MPSM motor in it and the inverter whas the IGBT to power them both .. all one needs is the CPU to control the inverter ...

????
Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 AM   #529 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SO...

so you have got,
muscles(motor)
nerves(cables)
bones(transaxle)
but you havent got brain (controller) and I hope Paul&Sabrinasīs will reach
Old 06-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #530 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

newcomer

Hello. I have just read the thread and am anxiously awaiting the next development. Thank you Paul for putting all the effort into getting this going, and everyone else that is contributing to this excellent project. It looks like there should be a working prototype soon. I think it is most important that the technology gets out there and is available to anyone who wants it and then there will be a demand for parts. Most people are not capable of populating circuit boards and will need to buy these modules. Keep up the honourable work.

Nigel.

The Following User Says Thank You to energymiser For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (06-06-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread