EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Pedal-operated parking brakes might influence the low demand for manual transmission? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/pedal-operated-parking-brakes-might-influence-low-demand-35423.html)

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-29-2017 12:15 AM

Pedal-operated parking brakes might influence the low demand for manual transmission?

The parking brake, or e-brake as some folks still mention it, might eventually also influence on how efficiently someone drives a different vehicle. Now that many newer cars actually have an electric push-button parking brake it became more common to see hill-start control on cars with manual transmission, while others keep the lever-operated which is particularly useful for me while starting uphill. Driving a vehicle with manual transmission and pedal-operated parking brake on the other hand is a PITA because it doesn't allow a progressive release, which often leads some folks to not match the clutch and throttle in the most efficient way.

Gasoline Fumes 07-29-2017 02:19 AM

I think phone in one hand and coffee in the other is more likely the cause of low demand.

Jez77 07-29-2017 02:39 AM

I blame traffic jams. Inching forwards in traffic for an hour is too hard on the clutch foot.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-29-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jez77 (Post 546095)
I blame traffic jams. Inching forwards in traffic for an hour is too hard on the clutch foot.

Rush-hour traffic sucks. When the traffic jam reaches the access ramp of an overpass, like it happens quite often in a touristic city where I usually go on summer, sometimes my left knee gets extremely painful. But anyway, since I usually don't try the heel-toe while starting uphill and then have to use the parking brake to keep from backing down, a pedal-operated one always become another PITA when the car is fitted with a manual transmission.

freebeard 07-30-2017 12:28 PM

I dream of a diesel-electric hybrid future. Five-speed manual and stop-start.

I'm weak on the details of how that would work. Maybe a thumb-button on top of the shifter?

Fat Charlie 07-31-2017 10:40 AM

The handbrake takes up valuable cupholder real estate- and the transmission itself takes up (apparently) valuable mental real estate, forcing people to pay attention to the vehicle they're allegedly operating, plan more than half a second ahead and other non-Facebooky type things.

redpoint5 07-31-2017 11:49 AM

I've never used the brake to assist with hills. Even large hills, I'll roll back no more than a few centimeters. Just rev the engine and quickly let out the clutch to the point that at least the car isn't rolling backwards.

It seems crazy that automatic transmission cars have hill hold feature, or that people would care about that.

The thing I miss most about the absence of the hand brake is E-brake turns.

jamesqf 07-31-2017 02:12 PM

There are still vehicles with pedal-operated parking brakes? I think everything I've driven since the '60s is either a lever between the seats, or a handle under the dash.

rmay635703 07-31-2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 546305)
There are still vehicles with pedal-operated parking brakes? I think everything I've driven since the '60s is either a lever between the seats, or a handle under the dash.

Newer cars have a button, why? No idea

gone-ot 07-31-2017 05:19 PM

Our '14 Prius has a small, hanging, pedal...like european 'small' manual tranny pedals.