Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
(pedestrian) almost hit by Prius!

I just got an e-mail from my brother, concerning his safety. Sounds like the problem was a quiet vehicle COMBINED with a bad/inattentive driver.

Here's his message to me.

"I had a Prius scare the hell out of me when i was crossing the street to go to the post office.

It had just made a right hand turn and barely made any noise.... almost ran me down.

Those things need to play a music ringtone or something.

<I'm too sexy for my car..to sexy for..>"

Please note that my brother is currently on crutches, and doesn't usually dress as either a ninja, or in camoflage.

So what do you think? Should Hybrids be "belled"?

If quiet is dangerous, should we also force bicycles to be louder too?
Why or why not? Please explain your answer.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I think this needs to be delt with on both ends. There are SO MANY careless drivers out there that need to be more careful, hybrid or not. I tend to blame them more than anything. However, people also need to be aware that there are cars out there, not necessarily all hybrids, that are really really quiet.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 39.49 mpg (US)
Yea, there are many cars that are almost silent, and not just hybrids. When my Tercel's exhaust is really tight and not leaking anywhere, it's near silent at idle, so the only sound a pedestrian would hear is wheel noise, which is the same that a Prius would make.

I think people need to realize that they're not the only ones on the road - drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists. You can't rely on sound when you're driving or walking, you need to look around as well.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Here's an article I posted last week regarding the GM Volt and their plans to make a "pedestrian friendly alert" which seems to be a good idea. Whether or not the driver uses it is another discussion.

GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Electric Car Site » Blog Archive » The Sound of the Chevy Volt
Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

And how quiet is a car in EOC? Gotta look where you are going and go where you are looking.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I think a good rule of thumb is to assume everyone on the road and the street is oblivious to their surroundings (in a car, on foot, etc.). Unfortunately, as a driver the pedestrian always has the right of way (even if they wander into the street and aren't in a crosswalk). Soooo...be extra careful out there!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Cars are loud to pedestrians. Cars can be dangerous to pedestrians. Therefore, if you hear a car, you could be in danger. That was the line of thinking that needs to become outdated or less significant in my opinion. If cars were never loud, we wouldn't be reliant on that sense. Similarly, if cars had a distinctive smell in front of them, we'd use that sense (and then have trouble when a new car doesn't smell ).

Look right, look left, look right again... Just like in kindergarten Personally, I keep looking until I cross. I don't fall asleep while operating this body As already said, don't assume the other guy knows what he or she is doing - then, be predictable in case the other guy does know what he or she is doing.

I don't know all the circumstances of this situation - but the fact that the car was silent AND therefore nearly hit a pedestrian could very well be a fallacy. How many pedestrians are hit by noisy cars? I wonder if there's a statistic of pedestrians hit per 100 million vehicle miles by car type - I'm willing to bet their on par with each other.

The car just made a right turn, meaning the driver was probably ONLY looking left for oncoming traffic - I'm put in this situation all the time on my bike, and have had my fair share of close {slapping on the side of the car} calls. And I'll admit I've had a couple instances of a lack of concentration, and never looked right for pedestrians or bikes - luckily, never when those two were around.

I see no reason why we are unable to adapt to this change in environment. At the same time, I don't have any problem with automakers adding a pinging device.

Last edited by trebuchet03; 11-03-2008 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

When I learned to drive from my grandfather his rule when turning was "look right-left-right." He also was a former Driver's Ed. instructor so a good teacher to learn from. A rule I still use today!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
So, when everybody drove a big noisy V8, nobody got hit by cars? Silence is what is dangerous? Not people RUNNING OVER PEDESTRIANS!?!?

If you can't see a dude stumbling along on crutches, and you think it is his responsibility to hear you and not "leap wildly into your path", you shouldn't be driving!!!! Your brother should have put a crutch into the pruis' headlight.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Herring View Post
... his rule when turning was "look right-left-right."
I thought it was Left-Right-Left! Unless you are in England!!?!?

I think comments about Noisy cars hitting people is right on. I don't think the problem is quiet cars. As others have noted, there are lots of very quiet cars that are NOT hybrids! We do need a culture shift for people to start LOOKING for cars (and those sneaky quiet bicycles as well.)

I suppose we could also "smell" for oncoming traffic if it was waste vegetable oil. If you smell donuts or fries, don't step off the curb...

I am thinking about adding a backup beeper to my Electro-Metro. The car is small, black, and quiet. People don't expect it to start moving in reverse, with no noise first!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Reply  Post New Thread