Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2015, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Severus - '02 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab
90 day: 31.35 mpg (US)
Personal Best; 30+mpg in a non-aero'd Ranger

We all choose what level of insanity were willing to go to for mpgs. I enjoy reading about the crazy stuff you guys do to get your insane numbers (I really do- its fascinating what you dudes come up with). By standards set in this forum, im a failure with relatively mild expectations. Still, considering my ride and my drive style, im shocked at the mpgs I pulled this trip.

Went from Austin TX to Mandeville LA pretty much I-10E all the way. I stayed between 55-65mph (mostly 60). I didnt use pulse and glide nor did I kill my engine and coast. I also used A/C about 15% of the time, had my stereo cranked (add 400 watts of parasitic draw at the alternator), and was carrying about 200 pounds of crap (plus about 100 pounds of sub and sound deadening in the door).

I did however make aggressive use of 18-wheelers. I tried whenever possible to get behind one of those big air-pushers and it was pretty incredible to watch the ultragauge respond. I didnt draft (way too close for me), but I did get close enough to see a significant reduction in throttle needed to maintain a speed. I turned it into a game in my head (seen some of you guys mention this) and constantly looked for my next mpg patron

Tank total (gps verified miles, gallons at pump): 497 miles on 15.855 us gallons = 31.35 mpg

Keep in mind my tank is 19.5 gallons- I could have easily done 600 miles on one tank of gas! Simply killing my stereo, losing the 200lbs of stuff, forcing myself to no more than 55mph, and bringing cold rags instead of using the a/c would easily have netted 32mpg. Add a partial grill block, mechanical fan delete, and leaning out the a/f ratio via a chip, I could prolly hit 33mpg.

Not bad for a truck! First tank to net over 30mpg. Truck:
2002 Ford Ranger Supercab, 2.3l inline 4, 5 speed manual, 4.10 gearing, ultraguage

*Disclaimer* I prolly wont do many more if any fuel economy mods to this truck. Since I cant race this slug I might as well have fun going slow

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Good work, ziptie!

I noticed the same result in my F150 while tailing an 18 wheeler. Ultra gauge showed a 4 to 5 mpg increase as soon as I got in behind him. I kept my distance for safety though.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
That is really good mpg coming from a truck and on top of that, using the A/C and having more alternator draw than usual. Congrats!

If I may dissuade you from not modding... aero mods would do wonders on your truck. It has a higher coefficient of drag (Cd) than most cars and would see improvements better than an already "slick" car. I personally noticed a difference in acceleration and coasting starting at 25 mph and above. I have lowered my aero drag enough that I can avoid drafting semis and go my own pace.

Also, if you had coasted down hills in N (Engine On), you might have added more than 1 or 2 mpgs to your highest average. Just some food for thought

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
Old 07-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Severus - '02 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab
90 day: 31.35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog F150 View Post
Good work, ziptie!

I noticed the same result in my F150 while tailing an 18 wheeler. Ultra gauge showed a 4 to 5 mpg increase as soon as I got in behind him. I kept my distance for safety though.
Yeah, I imagine a fullsize sees even more of a benefit. I think the benefit was lowered since I really dont like following close- I kept enough distance to stop completely even if a panic stop was initiated ahead of the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDiesel View Post
That is really good mpg coming from a truck and on top of that, using the A/C and having more alternator draw than usual. Congrats!

If I may dissuade you from not modding... aero mods would do wonders on your truck. It has a higher coefficient of drag (Cd) than most cars and would see improvements better than an already "slick" car. I personally noticed a difference in acceleration and coasting starting at 25 mph and above. I have lowered my aero drag enough that I can avoid drafting semis and go my own pace.

Also, if you had coasted down hills in N (Engine On), you might have added more than 1 or 2 mpgs to your highest average. Just some food for thought
I have considered just 3 possibly 4 mods: partial grill block, mechanical fan delete, mudflap removal, and an a/c compressor kill switch.

The grill block would be the best, but I live in Austin TX (tons of traffic) and right now its summer. It gets HOT there, and a grill block would limit engine cooling air and limit airflow over the A/C condensor. I might try this when temps come down a bit- I really dont want to get close to overheating that aluminum motor. I cant do an aero shell on the back btw- I use the bed to haul motorcycles a lot.

The mech fan delete is tricky. If I do it, I either need to replace it with an electric fan and go about thermally wiring it, or I need to get a tuner and configure the A/C electric fan to function as an engine fan as necessary. This has the bonus of adding horsepower which 4 banger pickups need badly.

The mudflaps.. well I hate how they look and you guys say they add drag. They do help prevent rocks from cracking others windshields though. Not sure on this one.

I have also considered a pushbutton on the stick shift to disable the A/C compressor- this is as much for acceleration as it is for mpgs. That way I could have the a/c on and disable the compressor when accelerating without having to reach over and switch the heater control to off.

Noted on N down hills- I do that all the time in town. The trip from Austin was pretty flat overall so hard to accomplish coasting in this way.

Ill update this thread after the trip back.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
I have also considered a pushbutton on the stick shift to disable the A/C compressor- this is as much for acceleration as it is for mpgs. That way I could have the a/c on and disable the compressor when accelerating without having to reach over and switch the heater control to off.

I have been considering this, but I think a adjustable vacuum switch might be better, automatic.

Reply  Post New Thread