Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #111 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Great updates! Somehow I didn't see the latest posts. Looks good!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #112 (permalink)
BeginnerModder

Well Kimer, it runs.
I ran it off the mechanical fuel pump, and had no issues.

I drained the gas tank and dumped the three or so gallons of fuel into the 20 gallon tank on my 1976 GMC truck. I hooked up my shop-vac in the "blow mode" to the fuel inlet and blew it out for an hour. I knocked out the gas filler spring flap in the fuel filler neck so that in the future I can fuel the damn thing. I went ahead and grabbed 5 gallons of diesel (1.649 a gallon, Feb 14, 2016) and dumped it down the hatch.

Scouring eBay resulted in a fancy Racor fuel water separator that will mount to the firewall in a few days when it arrives. For now I'm running it off a cheap inline filter just to keep it clean.

I purchased 6 feet of bulk/straight radiator hose and tried to wind the **** around the other **** that gets in the way. I resigned myself to using 1" copper pipe and fittings from Home Depot to handle the angles, and make the connections with the rubber hose. I added a bunch of antifreeze, some water and a splash of 12-year-old Scotch for luck.

The fuel shut-off solenoid is acting particularly difficult. When I load the starter it dumps the negative connection and therefore drops the shut-off solenoid to the "Hey buddy, no fuel for you" position. ugh.

Anyway, the summary is this: It runs in the car, with the adapter plate and transmission hooked up, in neutral. No efforts have been made to run it in gear. The coolant system is plumbed, the heater system is excluded.

Have I over-posted? Anybody still interested in this or am I rambling too much?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to planejob For This Useful Post:
bikeprof (03-14-2016), COcyclist (01-22-2019), elhigh (02-15-2016), MetroMPG (02-19-2016), user removed (02-15-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 10:37 PM   #113 (permalink)
Growin a stash

Still watching and rooting for you...

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
The Following User Says Thank You to ME_Andy For This Useful Post:
KrautBurner (05-17-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 11:07 PM   #114 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Planejob. Please continue. If most of the people here are like me, we simply don't have anything to add. It would be a damn tragedy if you stopped posting. This site is kinda slow right now, and this thread is the reason I check Ecomodder 2-3 times a day. I have been following your thread from the beginning.

I'm happy it's running, once you get it in driving condition a short video would be awesome. Maybe a outside view with a start up, followed by a quick drive around the block.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:41 PM   #115 (permalink)
BeginnerModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Planejob. Please continue. If most of the people here are like me, we simply don't have anything to add. It would be a damn tragedy if you stopped posting. This site is kinda slow right now, and this thread is the reason I check Ecomodder 2-3 times a day. I have been following your thread from the beginning.

I'm happy it's running, once you get it in driving condition a short video would be awesome. Maybe a outside view with a start up, followed by a quick drive around the block.
Awesome - Kimer and I were having a moment there and I was worried that I had gone so far out that people weren't interested in following anymore.
I'm off work tomorrow and so is my 6-year-old daughter so I'll see if I make any progress. Also, if you are considering doing this yourself - do it. The adapter plate was difficult but easily a DIY project for the average Tinker/Maker and everything else was simply a matter of picking the correct of three tools: the grinder, the cut-off wheel, and metric bolts.
The Following User Says Thank You to planejob For This Useful Post:
iveyjh (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 12:04 AM   #116 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
We're still watching and we are still interested. Keep up the updates.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:30 AM   #117 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Overposted???? HECK NO!!!!!

The fuel solenoid....has 2 coils...one is a strong pull-in unit and the other is a weaker unit that holds it in place. Yours might be wired backwards. Key ON should energize the HOLD magnet. The starter should energize the PULL-IN coil only during cranking. Maybe check amp draw to decide which is which? Heavier amps for the pull-in coil. If the pull-in coil stays energized too long it will burn out. Don't ask how I found out. Kubota solenoid cost many wampum $$$. Dodge/Cummins fuel solenoid cost $27 off eBay so I put one on my Perkins diesel in my Tollycraft boat to get rid of the cable operated fuel stop and just use the key.

I have several Racor units on my toys. The see through fuel bowl kind I like the best. Older GM 6.2 diesel units are good and have water drain, air vents, electric water contamination indicator, cheap to but but no visual bowl.

My last week project (picture) was to scratch build the 40 gallon diesel fuel tank for my Onan 7.5KW 3 cylinder diesel gen set. Is that using the same Racor filter that you ordered? The see thru bowl and drain are very useful. It has the similar costly pull-in and hold-in fuel solenoid. It also uses Firestone air bag motor mounts, snowmobile fuel gage, LED light inside the fuel tank and one for the fuel gage. I suspect its a Kubota, 1991 vintage, but there are no markings. I will look at my Yanmar and see if they are the same.

Keep up the good work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160203_191746 - Copy.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	19640  
The Following User Says Thank You to kimer6 For This Useful Post:
user removed (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 04:39 AM   #118 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Watching here in Ireland for last couple of weeks. Should really be posting encouraging comments to keep you motivated. I feel your pain. I'm currently show-horning a TDi engine and upside down transmission from a VW Passat into a 1966 VW Splitscreen camper van.

I really love this thread.
Keep it going.
I'm So looking forward to seeing it move under kubota power.

All the best.
D. C.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Splitbusvanatic For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (03-24-2016), KrautBurner (05-17-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #119 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm here, too!
Old 02-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #120 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The 66 VW bus was very popular for surfers, young people and hippies in the 1960's! They are still to be found in restored condition in California for astounding prices.

I put the Kubota 905 diesel in my Metro Convertible during a manic 3 week span in 2008. It ran without issues for several weeks until the license expired. Installing a diesel in a petrol vehicle in this state is mostly illegal and would be failed by the emissions test station and would possibly be impounded if driven unlicensed. It still exists in storage minus a battery with a full case of beer in the boot, ready for the forthcoming zombie apocalypse. Here it is:

The current Metro diesel conversion in Texas is being done by a brave soul and true engineer who doesn't have to follow our strict emissions testing and insane laws. I cannot legally buy a $60 catalytic converter for the diesel generator set I just finished. Nobody will ship one to California. Its prohibited unless it has the California approved number inscription (available for $600 extra) specific to a VEHICLE. I can't wait to see his results.

Please post pics of your conversion!

PS: Friends (your neighbors) from Galway, Ireland, visited me. I took them camping for the first time and they loved being under giant redwood trees. The children played Tin Whistles around the camp fire. They were astounded that my van had 5.7 liters of American petrol V-8 motivation. The 8 liter boat engine in my garage really blew Eanna's mind. ....All the best......Kimmer-6

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimer6 For This Useful Post:
elhigh (02-19-2016), Joggernot (02-16-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread