Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2016, 11:26 PM   #221 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I couldn't agree more. I'm waiting for the perverts, molesters, illegals and politicians to leave so I can get back to enjoying this scenery. Maybe tomorrow I will fire up my diesel Metro and see if it still runs.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #222 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

Anymore progress...???

>
Old 07-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #223 (permalink)
BeginnerModder

Hey guys, sorry for the long delay. I look at my Metro everyday and am eager to see it put to use.

It runs and drives, and it is titled. It is going to need a new home. If you are interested in taking over the vision please let me know. The wiring needs to be sorted. It is not "finished".

My plan as of now is to continue letting it sit, until the heat subsides (Dec 24th), and then complete the wiring and drive it on some long distance runs (would love to drive it to Vegas and back... no particular reason.)

Anyway, if you are interested in taking over this amazing and fun project please contact me to interview for the opportunity.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #224 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

December 24! Hahaha. Does it come with snow chains?
Old 08-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #225 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

MPGeo - '93 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 67.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by planejob View Post
I changed out the final drive from a 4.10 to a more diesel friendly 3.52...
Hello PLANEJOB... I was just wondering? How did you, or where did you come across a 3.52 crown & shaft??? How much??

I've been trying to find those two items for some time without any success. Not really trying to buy a full trany if I can help it, but it looks like I will have too... I just took mine apart and verified it is in fact a 4.10... and want to change it as part of the rebuild before I put it back together. But if I can't find some I will just have to buy another trany and rebuild it.

Any help will be appreciated. thanks.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #226 (permalink)
BeginnerModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGeo View Post
Hello PLANEJOB... I was just wondering? How did you, or where did you come across a 3.52 crown & shaft??? How much??

I've been trying to find those two items for some time without any success. Not really trying to buy a full trany if I can help it, but it looks like I will have too... I just took mine apart and verified it is in fact a 4.10... and want to change it as part of the rebuild before I put it back together. But if I can't find some I will just have to buy another trany and rebuild it.

Any help will be appreciated. thanks.
Well, here we are on October 11. The high today was only 90 F. So it's now safe to go out into the garage and do work (son!). I got the 3.52 from a guy on here who happened to have on for sale. He read my plight and contacted me. Keep your eyes open.

So, the Diesel Geo Metro runs, and drives, and the tranny has been rebuilt. The challenge now is to get it licensed, and get it operating off of the key rather than having to reach under the hood and fiddle with the wires.

Well, now that we are down to highs of 90s I'll be working on it again. Expect updates and stuff.

And YES. It is for sale. I just want to drive it to you. This isn't some "for sale and trailer it off" operation. You want it, I'll bring it to you, ok!
Old 10-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #227 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

silverado30mpg - '90 Chevrolet Silverado 2WD w/ 3.08 gear
90 day: 18.91 mpg (US)

BuzzBuzz - '91 Suzuki Swift GT
90 day: 159.12 mpg (US)
Hoping you can post some numbers before you sell

Would love to know what this setup does for you. My electric setup is very similar power-wise with my ME-1003. But my electric motor is 98% efficient...
Old 10-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #228 (permalink)
BeginnerModder

Well, I spent some time today studying on the wiring diagram in the service manual. I think I've got it figured out. I found a wire that is Hot in "start" and in "run". I'll use this circuit (airbag) to operate the "hold open" side of the fuel solenoid. I also identified a wire that is hot in "start" only. I'll use this circuit to operate the "initial open" side of the fuel solenoid, and also to control the starter. Bam. This could be key operated soon.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #229 (permalink)
BeginnerModder

Runs using Key for start, run, and stop!

Ok, so I've been studying on the wiring for a few days. I'm unfortunate enough to have the factory shop manuals: they clarify one thing and confuse the next two. But really, they are pretty useful.

When I took the gasoline engine out I refrained from cutting wires. I just unplugged all of the connectors and stashed it out of the way.

I was able to reuse some of the connectors, and pulled power from the correct circuit for the starter. The diesel engine has a fuel shutoff solenoid that is normally off, and requires a "trip open" wire that is powered upon initial start (I put this on with the starter circuit) and a "hold open" wire that draws just enough power to hold the solenoid open while running - I wired this into a wire in the existing harness that is powered on only when the key is in run. perfect.

The third wire on the fuel solenoid is ground. I plan to put a temperature sensor in line here that is normally closed, and opens during an overtemp situation.

I pulled some wiring out. I have a LOT more to pull out. I'm going to finish opening up the harness and take out everything thing that is not necessary... eventually:

And here's a video of it doing it's thing with the KEY. THEY KEY!!
[youtube]https://
Old 10-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #230 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ok, I'm impressed. Sounds good; looks good; runs good. I have never been able to read a wiring diagram, so you have me beat by yards. Nice work.

Reply  Post New Thread