Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pittsburgh - Mammoth Cave, KY - Columbus - home

Planning on taking a trip from Pittsburgh to visit Mammoth Cave, KY in the next few months, with a stop in on Charleston, WV on the way out and Columbus, OH on the way back.

Any suggestions on the most fuel-efficient routes?

I suspect sticking to the main interstates will make the most sense, but wanted to check to see if anyone had a better suggestion.

(Also open to suggested sights to see on the way out!)

Thanks.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Johnny 5 - '81 Honda Cm400e
90 day: 42.86 mpg (US)

Da bike - '06 Honda Shadow Vlx deluxe
90 day: 59.47 mpg (US)
are you coming down 79?
it is kinda hilly, some good eoc if u can.

but that is about it... i know at 70-75mph pittsburg is 3.5 hours away from charleston.
interstate 64 is also 70mph limit, once u leave charleston toward huntington it is "mostly" flat, not too awful,no long grades like 79 has, but u will be coming down hill most of the way.

i live about 45 min away from chalreston. travel those roads all the time.

on the way back no clue only been there once or twice. mainly to the zoos
jkp1187 (09-09-2009)
Old 09-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco View Post
are you coming down 79?
it is kinda hilly, some good eoc if u can.
Yeah, probably coming down I-79 to Charleston, then taking I-64 into Kentucky. Can't EOC (engine-off coast, right?) my cars are both automatics, and neither are on the 'flat towable' list.

Quote:
but that is about it... i know at 70-75mph pittsburg is 3.5 hours away from charleston.
interstate 64 is also 70mph limit, once u leave charleston toward huntington it is "mostly" flat, not too awful,no long grades like 79 has, but u will be coming down hill most of the way.
That's cool. Any points of interest we should keep an eye out for on the way into Kentucky?
Old 09-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Yeah, probably coming down I-79 to Charleston, then taking I-64 into Kentucky. Can't EOC (engine-off coast, right?) my cars are both automatics, and neither are on the 'flat towable' list.

That's cool. Any points of interest we should keep an eye out for on the way into Kentucky?
I lived in Glasgow Ky, which is only a few miles away from Mammoth Cave. Actually I happen to love the state of Kentucky and can tell you we have all sorts of nice places to visit. Your going to be heading to the western side of the state, so the most obvious place to check out is a park with a large water fall near by the Cave. Man, it's been so long I forget the name.... shesh.. Anyway, here is a starting place to check out for this state: Kentucky State Parks - Home

Also, if you were to find a way to US 23 and come down the eastern/northern side of Kentucky you could take I64 S/W to Exit 133 and then turn left (S/E) - You will find a breath taking National Park called CaveRun Lake, right at the foot hills of the BIG Mountains. You can fish, camp, swim, hike, and ride on the bike trails there. There are bald headed eagles, black bears and more wild turkeys than you can count, that are breeding quick. I know because THAT'S WERE I LIVE!

You could take US 23 down to Ashland KY, get on W I64, get off at Exit 133 and check out Caverun, then get back on I64 and keep going west to Lexington, which will connect you with another leg of I 64 and go to I 65 south to where your Cave is. I would advise getting a CB radio for the trip, even a cheap one is enough. GPS units often fail in the mountains here!! A cb radio in these parts will get you all of the directions you will ever need on channel #19 from the truckers and locals here. With a CB you will never need to pull off the road for directions. I think Amazon.com sells a small Uniden and magnetic antenna together for around $50 bucks (just remember to keep the radio on ch. #19)

Here is just one of many sites dedicated to Caverun Lake: http://www.caverunlake.com/

Have fun!

Last edited by Jammer; 09-25-2009 at 05:41 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread