Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Then I would add a warning circuit, a red light or LED (always hot) that grounds through another vacuum switch set for say 10'' to 12'' of Hg.
That way you always have power brakes or a warning light if you don't.
What you say is good. I have been putting off adding a warning for a while. I had my vac pump relay crap out last week - but luckily in the welded closed position, so the pump just ran constantly

I have a low oil pressure light that [obviously] isn't being used anymore. I plan to hook that up to the existing vacuum switch so it turns on every time the pump turns on. Sure, it isn't a second sender, but at least I will be able to see the pump cycle during normal driving and notice when something abnormal happens...ie..the light not going out when it should.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
I've had the power assist go out on my brakes once. I thought I was going to die.

Firstly, the brakes were designed for power assist, so without it the pedal seemed to be only making suggestions to the brakes. I'm certain I could have decent brakes without the power assist, but the pedal travel would probably have to be about a foot and a half to make it happen.

Secondly, the vehicle is a diesel 2-ton with an automatic transmission. There was no way to achieve ANY kind of vacuum by shifting, or restarting, or anything. The vacuum pump belt had broken, so that meant no power assist. Blimey.

Thirdly, it's bad workplace karma when you work for a Christian ministry and the vacuum pump belt goes, and suddenly you're exercising your vocabulary in a non-Christian manner. Oops.

If having more power assist for braking is important to you, why not grab a couple vacuum reservoirs at the junkyard and just plumb them in? You'll have a few more stops left in the system that way.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's the unpredictability that is the problem, right? The extra vacuum reservoir volume seems the right way to go to me. Some indication of the vacuum remaining in that volume would also be useful.

Since the pressure difference is quite low (~10.3psi/70kPa) almost any container could be made to work maybe even a re-purposed carbonated drink bottle or bottles. The PVC pipe is likewise low cost, light and inexpensive.

A restriction in the feed to the additional reservoir volume might be necessary to prevent the engine operating with high inlet manifold pressure on start up for an extended period (maybe you'll get a spike in the idle speed or a hard start).

There'll have to be a one way valve between the inlet manifold and extra volume anyway. One source for an in line unit will be the brake booster vacuum check valve found on cars with a turbocharged gas engine.

A pressure gauge would provide a better indication of the vacuum reserve left than a simple switch and light. The GM MAP sensors (there are others which are similar) are really simple and widely available for very little cost used. Feed it 5V and provide a ground connection and the signal can be read off with either a cheap digital multimeter or a panel meter. They are almost linear wrt pressure vs voltage.

You might want to check what pressure the one way valve that traps the vacuum in the brake booster opens at for reference.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
Coasting in the Carolinas

Blue - '94 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.49 mpg (US)
Suggestion, something stronger than a pop bottle.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Agreed - those are great at holding pressure, but useless for vacuum.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 06-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
So any slight risk that comes with possible loss of brakes/steering is more than offset by the fact that I am conscious.
I would love to see you get a ticket for this so you could try using this defense in court. The judge would throw the book at you and tell you to your face that any sober person that would consciously hamper their brakes and steering is a threat to everyone on the road despite being conscious and sober.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModder-In-Training

Dumpmobile - '95 Honda Civic EX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.99 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
I would love to see you get a ticket for this so you could try using this defense in court. The judge would throw the book at you and tell you to your face that any sober person that would consciously hamper their brakes and steering is a threat to everyone on the road despite being conscious and sober.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
I'm not unfavorable to delete the vacuum brake booster, because of weight and complexity. Altough it's not really heavy, it's one of the few small things that can be modded for weight-savings, and gives more freedom for intake manifold mods. An uncle of mine did it in a Suzuki Vitara, using a Chevette master-cylinder, and it worked well.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
When I started engine off coasting, I drove over the top of a hill, shut the engine off, pumped the brakes until the reservoir was fully bled down, and proved that I could stop on a downhill grade without any vacuum boost. The brake pedal force was high enough to convince me to leave the vacuum boost system alone.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #30 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
I would be skeptical to delete the vacuum boost only in a vehicle fitted with ABS brakes, but since I'm probably not going to get a vehicle fitted with them so soon I'm still convinced to delete the vacuum booster...

Reply  Post New Thread