Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #61 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
I am pretty sure the Ecopias aren't that good in ice and snow. I haven't driven with them in those conditions, but I remember seeing that somewhere.
Oh, and I have driven in quite a bit of rain, with no problems to report.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Are the Defenders supposed to be good in snow? I haven't really had much chance to test that out yet. I think I drove one day in slightly snowy conditions, we've had an unusually dry and warm winter so far. Not enough to make a judgement either way really.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #63 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

F8L's 2012 Prius - '12 Toyota Prius Three with Solar Roof
90 day: 62.14 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdelight View Post
Would either of the two be better on wet/snowy roads? I did take it on the highway today for a 60 minute road trip and managed to average 45 MPG for the trip. I was surprised at that. It was another 10 degrees warmer today (47), if that had anything to do with it. At least now I know I can still get at least 45 MPG with the Defender tires, even if it's only on the highway. I was worried I'd never see that kind of mileage again
The Energy Saver A/S does better in wet, the EP422 does better in snow. The Energy Saver A/S handles better, the EP422 is more comfortable. The Energy Saver A/S offers better fuel economy, the EP422 is cheaper.
2012 Prius Three with Solar Roof - Blizzard Pearl w/dark gray interior: Prius Plug-In 15" Wheels | Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15 tires | TRD Lowering Springs | WeatherTech FloorLiners | Scangauge II | Morimoto/DDM HIDs 5000K | Clazzio Leather Seat Covers | Best Tank: 71.7mpg@702miles | Best Trip: 95.9mpg@233miles
Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #64 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt View Post
I am pretty sure the Ecopias aren't that good in ice and snow. I haven't driven with them in those conditions, but I remember seeing that somewhere.
Oh, and I have driven in quite a bit of rain, with no problems to report.
I used to think the same thing but TireRack tested them in snow and they were great.

Tire Test Results : Eco-Focused All-Season Tires: Do They Deliver on the Promise?

Quote:
Offsetting its underwhelming wet performance was the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422, this time showing impressive snow traction while feeling stable and composed. Right behind was the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max which also delivered impressive results, especially under braking. The Continental ProContact with Eco Plus provided reasonable traction with just a hint of understeer, while the Yokohama AVID TRZ showed competitive, but lower overall snow traction than the others.
2012 Prius Three with Solar Roof - Blizzard Pearl w/dark gray interior: Prius Plug-In 15" Wheels | Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15 tires | TRD Lowering Springs | WeatherTech FloorLiners | Scangauge II | Morimoto/DDM HIDs 5000K | Clazzio Leather Seat Covers | Best Tank: 71.7mpg@702miles | Best Trip: 95.9mpg@233miles
The Following User Says Thank You to F8L For This Useful Post:
wyatt (01-10-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I was referring to either the Energy Savers or the Defenders being better in snow, not the Ecopia. So you still prefer the Energy Saver over the Defender then as an overall tire?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #66 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdelight View Post
I was referring to either the Energy Savers or the Defenders being better in snow, not the Ecopia. So you still prefer the Energy Saver over the Defender then as an overall tire?
I place fuel economy as my number one priority so I much prefer the Energy Saver A/S. I just like seeing big numbers. If the 4+mpg hit didn't bug me so much I would have kept my 17" wheels.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #67 (permalink)
kah
EcoModding Lurker

The Mii - '12 Seat Mii Reference
90 day: 54.83 mpg (US)
Interesting discussion.
I use ecopia EP150 165/70 R14's as my summer tyres, ContiWinterContact during the winter. I felt a huge difference when we changed to our wintertyres, FE did fall a little, but drivng in snow, or even on a cold wet tarmac, the ContiWinterContact feels much better planted and therefore a lot safer. I would definately recommend having dedicated summertyres and wintertyres over all seasons! People think all season tyres are better in the rain than summer tyres, but that is only true for tyre temperatures under 7 celcius (44F). All season tyres will always be a compromise!

I've been looking at changing my wheelsize, and that, of course, also means changing my tyres. I have some 14" alloys, but as i've later found out, they look light, but are actually not that much lighter than steelies. Therefore i've been looking at some ROTA Slip Streams 15", they are quite cheap compared to anything else on the market with such a low weight, and they look alot more aerodynamic than my current wheels. Going from 14 to 15 would also mean that i can get away with only a small increase in tyre width (165->175), and increase my rolling radius by 3,7%..

I found a great online tool for calculating and comparing different tyre sizes here
Visual Tyre Size Calculator | Kouki Tech
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #68 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah View Post
Interesting discussion.
I use ecopia EP150 165/70 R14's as my summer tyres, ContiWinterContact during the winter. I felt a huge difference when we changed to our wintertyres, FE did fall a little, but drivng in snow, or even on a cold wet tarmac, the ContiWinterContact feels much better planted and therefore a lot safer. I would definately recommend having dedicated summertyres and wintertyres over all seasons! People think all season tyres are better in the rain than summer tyres, but that is only true for tyre temperatures under 7 celcius (44F). All season tyres will always be a compromise!

I've been looking at changing my wheelsize, and that, of course, also means changing my tyres. I have some 14" alloys, but as i've later found out, they look light, but are actually not that much lighter than steelies. Therefore i've been looking at some ROTA Slip Streams 15", they are quite cheap compared to anything else on the market with such a low weight, and they look alot more aerodynamic than my current wheels. Going from 14 to 15 would also mean that i can get away with only a small increase in tyre width (165->175), and increase my rolling radius by 3,7%..

I found a great online tool for calculating and comparing different tyre sizes here
Here in North America they cancelled the only really fuel efficient summer tire (Ecopia EP100). The good ones are all-season tires. In the EU it appears the most fuel efficient tires (that also do well in wet conditions) are the new Bridgestone Ecopia EP001S and the Continental ContiEcoContact 5 or the ContiPremiumContact 5 if you need more wet traction.

If you live in very cold climates then I agree, choose an appropriate set of winter or snow tires and a set for warmer weather like a summer or all-season tire.

The Following User Says Thank You to F8L For This Useful Post:
wyatt (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I was a winter tyre sceptic, and in Holland the winters are relatively mild. But my Honda Insight had full summer tyres as opposed to the all season tyres that I had on all my previous cars, and since I drive more than before anyway, I got me a set of Conti wintertyres.
Last November we had a short cold streak. Frozen roads, ice patches and flattened snow. I saw the cars in front and behind me struggle while I never lost grip at all. When the guy in front slid off the road and struggled to get going again, I decided to wait till he was well away and stretched my right leg at the very point he went off. My car clawed to the road and jumped forward.
I would never have believed the difference to be this big.
Even with winter tyres there is less grip on snow than on dry tarmac. But the difference with all weather tyres is huge. I see people struggle to leave their parking spot when the tires dug a hole in the snow. I was struggling like them last year. Sweet memories, now.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Enduro E-bike - '11 PowerPedals Enduro
90 day: 2236 mpg (US)

Jota - '14 Toyota Yaris Hybrid H1
90 day: 53.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kah View Post
Interesting discussion.

Wider wheel will hurt your FE. So wil rims with open spokes layout. Better get use the original steel ones, and punt on fully closed caps.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
crr, ecopia, prius, rolling resistance