Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #51 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
That is a great tax and spend idea

I am for making in voluntary. If you feel like you deserve paying more you can. Call it the Ecomod tax.

I am sure that there are many on this list that would be glad to send in an extra thousand every year on their tax returns. Of course those who get refunds could just burn their checks up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
You are absolutely right. Now IF the only tax were that of how much we drove (or used the road), that would be fine. But the miles we drive is already registered on our odometers and duly recorded when our cars are subject to yearly inspection (with a the mandatory inspection fee levied by the state) and registered (with another mandatory fee levied by the state). Then our vehicles (subject to mandatory liability insurance regulation, also imposed by the state) also collects from us according to how many miles we have driven (as compared to the data collected by the state in inspection and registration records). And then there is also the hidden tax levied on gasoline supposedly collected for road usage or road maintenance, already included in the price of fuel at the pump.

Let's try this: every time you open the door to your vehicle and sit in the driver's seat let's mandate that there will be a required sensor in the vehicle that records your posterior and sends a signal out for you to be taxed by government. Even if your are making love while parked and sitting in the driver's seat you need to pay up. Let's make sure this new tax is in addition to all those other vehicular taxes you already pay.

I'm sure some here will think this to be a good idea and support it. (Perhaps I should not have suggested this, as it might be taken seriously and sent to the administration to be the next thing the government imposes upon us.)

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I'm sure some here will think this to be a good idea and support it. (Perhaps I should not have suggested this, as it might be taken seriously and sent to the administration to be the next thing the government imposes upon us.)
No one here is suggesting it is fair to double-tax people. In fact, I think that any non-road usage based tax is unfair. Ideally, if you own a car and don't use it, you need not pay any tax on it. Not even registration tax, except perhaps a nominal fee for the appropriate "paperwork" filed in the computer system.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I'm sure some here will think this to be a good idea ... Perhaps I should not have suggested this
Mixed message there, but I know where your coming from. Don't give 'em ideas.
Quote:
Then our vehicles (...) also collects from us according to how many miles we have driven (...).
Don't let those parens get the best of you.

Here in *my* undisclosed location there is no vehicle inspection beyond the roadside; and my out-of-state insurer believes whatever I tell them.

I'm not sure that in the current political climate I want a statist solution. No wait; I *am* sure.

Last edited by freebeard; 01-13-2013 at 02:39 AM..
Old 01-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #54 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
No one here is suggesting it is fair to double-tax people. In fact, I think that any non-road usage based tax is unfair. Ideally, if you own a car and don't use it, you need not pay any tax on it. Not even registration tax, except perhaps a nominal fee for the appropriate "paperwork" filed in the computer system.
You live in Philippines. I live in America. What I have described is not only double taxation, but multiple taxation.

Don't move to America if you find this system of taxation onerous. That's the way it is here.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #55 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

Here in *my* undisclosed location there is no vehicle inspection beyond the roadside; and my out-of-state insurer believes whatever I tell them.
Apparently you are lucky enough to live in a state that is not so rigorous about enforcement and state mandated tax or fee compliance. Or perhaps you can afford the mobility of having multiple addresses in more than one state that you use to your advantage or in keeping one step ahead of the law.

Quote:
I'm not sure that in the current political climate I want a statist solution. No wait; I *am* sure.
Does that mean that you want a statist "solution"? Please explain.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #56 (permalink)
Sport Compact Driver

Celica Gts - '84 Toyota Celica Gts
Sports Cars
90 day: 26.32 mpg (US)

The Bee - '96 Mazda B4000 4x4 Base
Pickups
90 day: 20.39 mpg (US)
In montana regrestration is once a year for cars under 11 years old. After that you can buy permanant tags and never have to pay again. No inspections either, if your car is falling apart the highway patrol will pull you over and give you a fix it ticket. I like it here.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
You live in Philippines. I live in America. What I have described is not only double taxation, but multiple taxation.

Don't move to America if you find this system of taxation onerous. That's the way it is here.
Move to America where service crew at McD's make three times as much as I do at my white collar job, where cars and gas cost 50% less due to low sales tax and the unemployed get enough welfare benefits to actually have three squares a day? Where all of my (much) poorer friends have moved to, and where they now make five times as much as me, drive new Civic hybrids and have enough left over at the end of the month to send home the equivalent of my salary to support their families here?

Believe me, the thought has never crossed my mind... I enjoy giving up a third of my salary to taxes, paying 12% in sales tax, even on basic commodities, and being charged nearly 100% in taxes every time I want to purchase a car that isn't shoddily assembled in Thailand. And the nearly five dollar a gallon gasoline is great, too. (Remember, my take home is less than a thousand dollars a month... for a job which is worth $10k a month back there. That's why I have more than one job and source of income)

-

Multiple taxation is inevitable given that taxes are levied on whatever you consume along every step of the chain. A problem that is much worse outside America than inside it.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz
Apparently you are lucky enough to live in a state that is not so rigorous about enforcement and state mandated tax or fee compliance. Or perhaps you can afford the mobility of having multiple addresses in more than one state that you use to your advantage or in keeping one step ahead of the law.
Hey, I'm lucky just to be alive at all.

Not a scofflaw, I've got jury duty toward the end of the month.

Quote:
Does that mean that you want a statist "solution"? Please explain.
Sorry. I'm sure I *don't*. You can pigeonhole me as a social anarchist, or an agorist.

Niky -- I have some idea what your part of the world is like, I flew right over it once. What you describe sounds like me being in computer startups in the 80s. I was at Comdex at Las Vegas, standing at an elevator when this young lady asked me if I wanted to party. What I wanted was to explain that I made $4.50 an hour to her $100, and how long it would take me to recoup, and then replace the lost income; but it seemed pointless.

What I notice is that you seem to drive a lot of different cars (speaking as someone who's driven the same dang thing for 40+ years), and keep track of all their parts. I'm curious about those $1000 1-liter engines from India. What transmission do they use?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Drive a lot of cars on my writing gig. A gig whose pay sucks (when I started, I wrote online for free... now I get paid enough to buy a few Big Macs) but whose other benefits are great. I get to drive a lot of cars.

New Maruti/Suzukis use an updated version of the Suzuki five-speed that's been in the Alto/Metro for like... forever. Not quite sure what the ratios are, nowadays, I have an Excel file that lays it out, but that's on the dead laptop.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #60 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty Modder View Post
In montana regrestration is once a year for cars under 11 years old. After that you can buy permanant tags and never have to pay again. No inspections either, if your car is falling apart the highway patrol will pull you over and give you a fix it ticket. I like it here.
Lucky you! I would guess that of the 50 states in the USA there are very few states like yours. Actually I'd like others to tell us whether their states are so lenient (or not) about vehicular taxes, fees and regulations levied.

Reply  Post New Thread