Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #61 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Move to America where service crew at McD's make three times as much as I do at my white collar job, ... (Remember, my take home is less than a thousand dollars a month... for a job which is worth $10k a month back there. That's why I have more than one job and source of income)
The service employees at McD's make minimum wage at best, which in even the most "progressive" states is less than $7 per hour. From that is deducted social security and other taxes - meaning their take home pay is less than whatever they earn at that minimal hourly wage. So do the math: if you are making $3000 per month (or, as you say it is even somewhat less) that is much more than the counter staff at McD's makes - and not remotely comparable to it.

So it is highly improbable that as you believe, in America the "service crew at McD's make three times as much as I do at my white collar job".

America may seem like paradise in comparison to your country, but it is often said that "the grass appears to be greener on the other side".

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz
The service employees at McD's make minimum wage at best, which in even the most "progressive" states is less than $7 per hour.
Minimum wage in Oregon is $8.95
www.oregon.gov...pdf

And it can hardly be considered a progressive state (exception: Ron Wyden - D). The bottle bill was decades ago, and we're sandwiched between Washington and Colorado (cough).
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #63 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Minimum wage in Oregon is $8.95
www.oregon.gov...pdf

And it can hardly be considered a progressive state (exception: Ron Wyden - D). The bottle bill was decades ago, and we're sandwiched between Washington and Colorado (cough).
Bwahahahah! I just fell off my chair laughing! Surely, you must be joking.

Oh, man - the working poor are going to get rich on this one - even if I might have been off by a dollar or two at most. I stand corrected. There is always some most "progressive" state that will throw pennies at the poor and claim that is helping them. Just as John D. Rockefeller, then the multi-millionaire richest man in America used to hand out shiny new dimes, during the great depression, wowing the destitute.

Find me a more "progressive" state in America, one that pays more than $8.95 per hour in minimum wage.

Actually, please list them all - all the states that have a 'liberal' minimum wage and what that mandated minimum wage is (before the taxes that are levied upon it, that the working poor pay, of course...)

And then, let's ask whether anyone is ever lifted out of poverty by the minimum wage - or whether it's just a way to make people feel they are advancing economically, when in fact... they are only led to believe that they are.

Last edited by XYZ; 01-17-2013 at 09:43 PM..
Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #64 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Oregon (with exception of Portland and Medford) has a very relaxed vehicle registration process. There are no mandatory emission checks and registration is $86 every 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Find me a more "progressive" state in America, one that pays more than $8.95 per hour in minimum wage...

And then, let's ask whether anyone is ever lifted out of poverty by the minimum wage - or whether it's just a way to make people think they are advancing economically, when in fact... they are only led to believe that they are.
I chuckled a little at Freebeard's comment that Oregon can hardly be considered Progressive. I can hardly think of a more progressive/liberal state.

Economists would agree that minimum wage is pointless, and that it is positively correlated to unemployment. From a humanitarian/civil liberties standpoint, it is quite outrageous for any person or group to require a person to sell their labor for some minimum amount, with the alternative being no work at all.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Find me a more "progressive" state in America...

Actually, please list them all..

And then...
I'm not your private Google.

redpoint5 -- Each state has it's strengths and weaknesses. For instance Oregon made the beaches state highways years ago, so homeowners can't build fences down to the surf, but the state disgraced itself in the last election vs WA and CO.

And North Dakota has a State bank. In that way it's ahead of all the rest.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 AM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
America may seem like paradise in comparison to your country, but it is often said that "the grass appears to be greener on the other side".
Before quoting "the grass is greener", consider who you're talking to and where they live.

My take-home pay is less than $1,000. And I'm considered middle management. If I'd chosen to go into advertising like I'd thought of, I might be making more, like $1,500. But too late for that.

Basic minimum wage here is $7 (rural)... per day. To elevate the living conditions of the people, the government raised that to $12 in the cities and nearby factories. Upon which many of the off-shore companies running manufacturing here said "That's all, oktnxbai!"

Gas here costs about $5 a gallon.

A loaded Honda Fit costs $22k.

A loaded Toyota Camry costs $52k.

I have friends who've moved there. Working basic school-teacher jobs, they've saved enough to rent a good place, lease/buy a car, and send home more than my take home pay to their family here every month... and enough extra after that to buy plots of land for future investments.

Sure, food is relatively cheap... if you eat nothing but rice. Beef costs twice as much here as it does there, and we actually grow beef locally.

The reason I haven't moved is because, while my day job sucks in terms of actual cash value, my family owns the company, and I have side benefits and other sources of income. So I'm comfortable, and I don't plan to leave, despite being a US Citizen by birth (born in New York) But for people who don't have family money, America is still the land of opportunity. What most Americans see as barely livable wages is upper-middle-class stuff here.

Hell, during the nursing boom, doctors were dropping the MDs from their name and emigrating there en masse.

Last edited by niky; 01-18-2013 at 06:14 AM..
Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #67 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Wasn't this site supposed to be about the cars?
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Dave For This Useful Post:
brucepick (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #68 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Actually the topic is about taxation on cars. It drifted into discussing taxation in general. If you add up all the hidden taxes and fees already collected on vehicles, it is quite a lot and more than we realize, in most states.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave
Your right (sort of—modded cars). It's a good thing I put in that comment about being able to drive on the beach.

If you want to PM the mods and have them move it to The Lounge, I'm not averse. It is drainoil's thread, you might check with him/her.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #70 (permalink)
live, breath, Isuzu-Ds

puddle jumper - '93 Suzuki sidekick base model

energizer bunny - '86 isuzu trooper base model

Clifford the big red dog - '84 GM S-10 durango
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Oregon (with exception of Portland and Medford) has a very relaxed vehicle registration process. There are no mandatory emission checks and registration is $86 every 2 years.
the max amount of fees.....they can tax yea with....for an ordanary car.
Oregon DMV Vehicle Title, Registration & Permit Fees

Title​ fee $77+
Plate Fee $24+
two years of tags $86+
Multnomah County Fee $19 (per year)​ +
deq fee $19 every two years +
Late Title Transfer Fee (after 31st $25, after 61st day $50) =

$294.00 as the max to put a auto in your name....

excluding the DEQ fee a light trailer is the same cost.
unless its under 1,800LBs then the only requirement is that it have working lights.

if your trailer is over 8,000LBs or auto is over 10K things get real spend-y FAST even if its for 100% personal use....

i know this first hand, even though we have a tree farm we don't qualify for farm plates....the farm product must grow in less then 12 years to be leagal to transport on a auto with farm plates, so we have to have the truck plates that are about $485 a year....that's no typO
http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/6013.pdf
and the fee sheet for farm....
http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/152.pdf

1993 sidekick my MPG toy, epa rating 26.
i get 29/31 with stock drive train.
Reply  Post New Thread