EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Pull the plug on that compressor (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/pull-plug-compressor-24236.html)

user removed 12-07-2012 04:53 PM

Pull the plug on that compressor

I now own two Fords, both of which, from the factory, run the AC compressor when you choose defrost, without any indication that the compressor is engaged.
Pulled the plug on both of those suckers :mad:.
Now those gas sucking compressors will not steal my freaking MPG :eek:.
Maybe one of these days I'll add a toggle switch so I can engage-disengage the compressor, THE SAME WAY THEY USED TO WORK.

edit; no malfunction lights either :thumbup:.

regards
Mech

Daox 12-07-2012 05:01 PM

Yeah, all newer vehicles have this 'feature'... On my Toyotas I've found if you put it on feet/defrost it doesn't kick in the A/C vs just defrost.

pete c 12-07-2012 05:18 PM

Yet another example of car makers catering to brain dead consumers.

user removed 12-07-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 344170)
Yeah, all newer vehicles have this 'feature'... On my Toyotas I've found if you put it on feet/defrost it doesn't kick in the A/C vs just defrost.

In the winter of 1968-69 I was involved in a snow ball fight at Virginia Tech with 7000 participants. 12 inches of show and a pair of sneakers for 3 hours.
I guess it was the Southern Comfort that kept my feet warm, but I like a defroster that actually blows the hot air on the windshield without making my feet sweaty.
Anyway it seems to help my mileage and with the colder weather I'll take any benefit that allows me to actually see outside in 40 degree weather without running a dang AC compressor.
Strictly a Vodka and Orange juice fellow these days, the few times I take a drink anymore. I might actually have enough to feel it Sunday at the family get together, at my house. Rather drink it than put it in my tank, but my govt knows better.

regards
Mech

arcosine 12-07-2012 06:41 PM

Just pull the fuse for the compressor.

ConnClark 12-07-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete c (Post 344176)
Yet another example of car makers catering to brain dead consumers.

Actually its a safety feature to keep the windows from fogging up. At times I wish my AC actually worked.

user removed 12-07-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcosine (Post 344196)
Just pull the fuse for the compressor.

Problem is all the other things that fuse is running, like the whole climate control system.

regards
Mech

Frank Lee 12-07-2012 07:41 PM

My '84 Tempos had nice illuminated a/c compressor switches; too bad that feature went away. :(

arcosine 12-07-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 344206)
Problem is all the other things that fuse is running, like the whole climate control system.

regards
Mech

My saturn as a fuse for the ac compressor that fuses only the compressor. You don't need the ac in the winter to defrost or defog.

a8ksh4 12-07-2012 08:19 PM

I'm pretty sure the compressor in my '99 taco is manually controlled all the time. It sure gets more comfortable in the cab when its raining, I'm running the defrost/heater, and then I hit the AC button. Wonder if this changed w/ the 2nd gen & later tacos...