Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Question for Doax or anyone else really...

He guys, during my last fillup I experienced getting ripped off by my gas station. My gas log shows a 10 gallon fill up, which is what registered on the pump, etc, but I filled up at a point where I would normally have 7-8 gallons religiously. I didn't complain as it was the first time it happened and its fruitless to argue with someone that speaks no english and is powerless to help.

Anyhow, here is the strange part. As you know in most vehicles you can fill above the fill line on the dash gauge. My car usually drops to the full line at about 90miles and then to the 3/4 mark around 130. This tank following the problem I am at 130 and the needle just began to move towards the fill line!!!

Now with this tank I have begun more aggressive EOCing, meaning, instead of neutral coasting to lights I do EOC, but can there be a 30-40 mile swing from it? Only time will tell if my float stuck on this tank or something else happen, but have any other Matrix, Vibe owners experienced sticky gas gauges?

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Is the ground around the pumps level or on a slope? The station near my house is sloped and I've found that my Honda will fill 3-4 more gallons facing downhill vs uphill. At another station that has a small concrete pad I get more in if the front wheels go off the pad. Since you actually did go further than normal, and the gas pump said you took more than normal, somehow you were able to get more into the tank.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Hehe ... I live in South Florida, sorry, the ground is level, the only hills I see here are over passes. The only strange thing about that fill was that the pump was working extremely slow that day and when I asked the attendant about their fuel levels she told me the truck had been there early in the morning and I was filling @ 10:30pm at night ..

If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 06-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Okay, here is an exploded parts drawing for a 2004 Matrix:

The fill pipe connects to #24 Fuel Cutoff Valve. This prevents the tank from being overfilled and keeps the gas in if you flip over. Maybe this stuck open.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

That could be possible considering the slow rate at which the gas was pouring out. However, wouldn't that also cause the gas to overflow at the nozzle? Which didn't happen ...

Either way I am watching this tank real carefully, because I am either going to have my best tank ever, or someone is playing a joke on me by adding fuel to my car each night, in which case I'll continue to encourage the practice .. LOL

Reply  Post New Thread