EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   radiator block question (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/radiator-block-question-24317.html)

steve05ram360 12-15-2012 01:14 AM

radiator block question

Looking to raise coolant temps & engine compartment temps, Thinking the radiator block is the best way, quick & easy to undo if temps get too hot.

In doing so is there anything I'm missing? Tranny pan has a gauge so I can keep an eye on that as well...

Frank Lee 12-15-2012 01:20 AM

Don't block right on the rad; do it at the grille- inside or out, your choice. If there's a trans cooler leave the air flow open to that.

steve05ram360 12-15-2012 01:43 AM

Ok thanks

brucepick 12-15-2012 09:59 AM

If you have a ScanGauge or UltraGauge set it to monitor coolant temp.

Or you could run a dash light off the radiator fan wire. But that's almost a "sorry, too late" indicator.

steve05ram360 12-15-2012 10:34 AM

I have Torque (phone app) which I am monitoring IAT's, coolant temp, boost, ambient air temp, calc load and something else (I forget what it is atm).

This is a temporary block which I would most likely remove after testing (unless there is a clear benefit).

MetroMPG 12-15-2012 12:03 PM

It's almost a given that there will be a benefit, but the improvement will be small enough that it may not show up above the usual variability in tank-to-tank results. (If you're planning to do some kind of as-controlled-as-possible test, that's another story.)

So... be wary of using that yard stick. Many modifications on this site are known to work, but they make a very small individual improvement. You'd end up dismissing things that collectively would make a meaninful & measurable improvement.

brucepick 12-15-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 345625)
It's almost a given that there will be a benefit, but the improvement will be small enough that it may not show up above the usual variability in tank-to-tank results. (If you\'re planning to do some kind of as-controlled-as-possible test, that\'s another story...

I agree. I also think a grill block is one of the most effective projects you can do especially when you consider the low cost in money and in time invested.

steve05ram360 12-15-2012 01:10 PM

I picked up some foam board from wally world for the test and should have it done pretty quick. I wouldnt view this as an aero mod since the blockage would be behind the grilleThe goal is to raise engine compartment temps along with IATs.

brucepick 12-15-2012 01:24 PM

Sounds good. Expect somewhat faster warmup times so less time spent in open loop.

It may not look aero but by reducing the amount of air blowing around in the engine bay you will reduce the turbulence there. Your fuel provides the energy for that.

steve05ram360 12-15-2012 01:54 PM

there is no open/closed loop... diesel. blocked off almost 50% of the grille & an area open to the bottom of the truck where it could draw cold air. test run time...