Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2023, 06:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

3D Printed Cross Wind Deflectors/Stabilizers

I was recently informed by another forum member that my Active Shutter topic (Which included the airtabs within the thread) be split or a new thread created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
How did active radiator shutters suddenly become 3D printed aerotabs?
Maybe the aerotab posts were meant for another thread?
Thus I've created a new one just for the airtabs..

Last we spoke I had the shop 3D print 6 Black airtabs and 6 Blue airtabs.. we held these up to the dark blue of the van and have selected the black tabs as being the best (less noticeable eye sores) while carefully placed on the van.

We sent word to the shop saying that we need approx. 30 more of these airtabs for the van. Actually we needed 24, but Wanted a few more just in case. We'll keep the 6 blue ones in the van just in case someone stops to comment about what we've done to the van and I'll prob end up giving them the 6 blue tabs in return.

We're hoping to gain some fuel economy, but it's very doubtful. However we still have high hopes that these airtabs will offer us something more in the lines of a cross wind reduction. We wont know for sure what the outcome will be thus the reason we selected the black tabs over the eye sore blue color.

Last edited by LostinTransit; 02-21-2024 at 01:29 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-21-2023, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
We wont know for sure what the outcome will be thus the reason we selected the black tabs over the eye sore blue color.
That's why they make rattle cans.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

Both the Blue and Black airtabs have a rippled texture about them which makes them look like carbon fiber. But as I said the black is more suitable plain with out any other modifications or repainting. Although I would consider myself to be fluent at painting, I would not trust painting the blue airtabs and left out in the elements.
The Following User Says Thank You to LostinTransit For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-21-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Any news on MPGs with the air tabs?
Thanks
LostinTransit (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

Appreciate the interest on this, But after selecting the black airtabs, the shop closed down for the holidays. However they reopened for a short and have started printing more of these for us. I'm really liking the black textured look to these as they appear to resemble carbon fiber. We've informed the shop that we need at least 36 of these and while waiting, I've been searching for the best way to adhere these to the van. I'm not thrilled about the double side tape type stickers to apply these tab to the van.

We're not expecting to see any thing along the fuel savings etc, but do hope that these will reduce cross winds as well as reduce the amount of dust/dirty left on the barn doors. Thus making the van cleaner. I will be surprised if we see at least a 2% increase in fuel economy but I really doubt it.

Ideally, the black tabs will be less of an eye sore and should only be used if you're on major highways between 50mph - 70mph. Also, I've checked with other sites and seem some RVers are installing these on their RV's but either these airtabs are too far apart of too close together.. The official Airtab site suggest 4'' center to center.. which looks to be about 1 1/2 inches apart. So it seem obvious that some of there RVers will not see any sort of fuel savings if the tabs are not installed correctly or in the correct location.

Hang in there till the shop completes these
Old 12-11-2023, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

Update:

So far the shop has 3D printed 36 of these tabs and they still have a few more coming before the shop shuts down for the holidays again. The tab edges will need to be cleaned up as they have small printed edges which can be very sharp. I'll prob just use a knife to scrape these edges down. Then we'll go look for the adhesive and prob install these sometime next spring.
Joggernot (12-11-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 04:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

approx 46 tabs have been printed. very pleased with what the shop has done to a free 3D printed design. Most will end up on the rear sides and rear roof of the van. However, I may mount a couple near the front wheel well as well as under the mirror to divert the wind flow to help with the hood flutter.
Joggernot (12-13-2023)
Old 02-07-2024, 03:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

Final tally, 48 tabs have been 3D printed for the van. Now waiting for warmer weather and getting the roof wrapped. Then we'll have the van professionally clean and start applying the tabs. I'm also having the shop print a few more extended tabs that have longer or taller winglets for under the rear bumper to act as rear defusers. Once we start mounting these up, i'll post some results.
Joggernot (02-07-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinTransit View Post
Final tally, 48 tabs have been 3D printed for the van. Now waiting for warmer weather and getting the roof wrapped. Then we'll have the van professionally clean and start applying the tabs. I'm also having the shop print a few more extended tabs that have longer or taller winglets for under the rear bumper to act as rear defusers. Once we start mounting these up, i'll post some results.
HI,

In the meantime, any way to see some pics of the tabs? do they look more like the Air Tabs vortex generators or like the PODS style ? or maybe something different ? Thanks!
LostinTransit (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 04:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

https://ecomodder.com/forum/689366-post24.html

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2827019

Joggernot (02-21-2024)
Reply  Post New Thread