Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2023, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
awy
EcoModding Lurker

xc90 tinkering

wife wanted me to get some fender protectors to protect against paint scratches on the new family hauler (xc90), so naturally this is an excuse to overinterpret the mandate and mission creep into aero tinkering.

This car is really gas guzzling at city driving (~18 mpg) but is fairly efficient on highways, so the aeromodding is pretty much just for fun/tinkering, rather than any real effort at saving gas. I think this SUV, despite having big frontal area, is fairly aerodynamic in the class at a 0.33 cd, but could be better. i'm thinking of going primarily in the vortex generator/airflow modification direction, rather than doing any huge and ugly shape modding. i'll just state the starting specs to serve as control baseline. I think modding for airflow separation has the additional benefit of reducing wind noise if it works out.

on the last road trip with new tires and about 5500 lb in gross weight, we had a highway mpg of about 30 at 70-75 mph. however, the mpg gets noticeably worse going over 80 mph. it also came with 275/40R21 pirellis which are pretty heavy and inefficient, but we can't change that for a while.

I'm thinking of experimenting with some vortex generators on the top and sides, front and side skirts, possibly vortex canards in front, and covering up the wheels with carbon fiber patterned wheel covers that mimic the new volvo EV wheel covers. It'll be limited to DIY level tinkering since part of the fun is tinkering on it myself.

I've been reading some CFD studies on the car to identify big gain areas will update this thread for specifics as I digest them.

Last edited by awy; 09-05-2023 at 01:18 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to awy For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-07-2023)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-07-2023, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by awy View Post
wife wanted me to get some fender protectors to protect against paint scratches on the new family hauler (xc90), so naturally this is an excuse to overinterpret the mandate and mission creep into aero tinkering.

This car is really gas guzzling at city driving (~18 mpg) but is fairly efficient on highways, so the aeromodding is pretty much just for fun/tinkering, rather than any real effort at saving gas. I think this SUV, despite having big frontal area, is fairly aerodynamic in the class at a 0.33 cd, but could be better. i'm thinking of going primarily in the vortex generator/airflow modification direction, rather than doing any huge and ugly shape modding. i'll just state the starting specs to serve as control baseline. I think modding for airflow separation has the additional benefit of reducing wind noise if it works out.

on the last road trip with new tires and about 5500 lb in gross weight, we had a highway mpg of about 30 at 70-75 mph. however, the mpg gets noticeably worse going over 80 mph. it also came with 275/40R21 pirellis which are pretty heavy and inefficient, but we can't change that for a while.

I'm thinking of experimenting with some vortex generators on the top and sides, front and side skirts, possibly vortex canards in front, and covering up the wheels with carbon fiber patterned wheel covers that mimic the new volvo EV wheel covers. It'll be limited to DIY level tinkering since part of the fun is tinkering on it myself.

I've been reading some CFD studies on the car to identify big gain areas will update this thread for specifics as I digest them.
* after 4,000-miles on the new tires, the rolling resistance will fall to the minimum for that tread depth. As you continue to wear the tire tread down, the R-R will continue to drop, and reach minimum R-R when they're worn out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* wheel covers would be a 'GO'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* skirts would be a 'GO.'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* automotive VGs were introduced by aeronautical engineer, Gary Wheeler, which became 'Air Tabs.' Gary designed them for his notchback Honda Accord, for the same reason Mitsubishi would later incorporate them on their nasty notchback Lancer EVO, which otherwise would have had total flow separation beyond it's backlight header.
* since your Volvo is a 'two-box' design, with 'nothing' behind it's separation line, there's nothing for the separated airflow to reattach to, rendering the VGs impotent as far as drag reduction.
* a 'boat-tailed', receiver-hitch cargo-carrier, snugged up tight against the back of the XC90 would be about the only thing capable of meaningful drag reduction ( you could tell your wife that you're so lousy at fabrication that, you were incapable of creating 'straight' lines, and it was only incompetence which is responsible for the 'crooked' tail ).
Old 09-07-2023, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
On a heavy big car low rolling resistance tires like e. Primacy is the king of mods. Which year model you have? Depending where you live you might find some cheap bargains like in Germany.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Old 09-15-2023, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
awy
EcoModding Lurker

mine is brand new MY2023.5, and came with rather chunky 21 inch pirelli AS, which are middling to bad on rolling resistance. i would probably change them out just for ride quality and noise. looking at a few options but the ones that fit this rim are rare. the bridgestone alenza as ultra might be an option but i don't see any rolling resistance figures for these.

The VG is more of a science experiment to have fun with turbulent flow, I agree they are likely useless on the back and top side of this. There's no flow reattach point and the fins are not big enough to energize the entire back area. Although I think putting a few near the mirrors/sides could help to reduce wind noise. I didn't get the model with laminated side windows. I got some sharkfin ones to look cooler.

The rear diffuser area has a gigantic hole for putting on the towing hook which I don't need, so I think sealing that off may help.

The mod I think would really help would be aero wheel covers, like the ones they have with the new volvo evs. EX90 21" 8-Spoke Aero (can't post link yet)

but this thing is even heavier than my current 21 inch rims so idk. it does look nice though. I'm thinking of taping up the wheels to test for potential gain in this area.

The cfd on this car suggests that extending the top spoiler may help a little bit, but i can't see a way of doing this that isn't ugly.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-525434/2025

Old 09-16-2023, 06:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
awy
EcoModding Lurker

for tires i'll just throw on some slightly worn crossclimate2. the crosscontact RX is supposedly lower rolling resistance still, but i haven't been able to find much reliable numbers on them. tesla owners with them as OE are frequently complaining about wear speed but that might just be EVs eating up tires.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
awy
EcoModding Lurker

at the rear underside of the car there's these big cavities, how much does sealing them up help with aero?

see e.g.
[can't post a link yet]
Should You Buy a Volvo XC90 Recharge? Thorough Review By A Mechanic
17:50
aerohead (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
rear underside

Quote:
Originally Posted by awy View Post
at the rear underside of the car there's these big cavities, how much does sealing them up help with aero?

see e.g.
[can't post a link yet]
Should You Buy a Volvo XC90 Recharge? Thorough Review By A Mechanic
17:50
Typically, a rear modification will not be done until all the upstream flow is as optimized as possible.
If you had a means of 'photographing' tufts under the car, that might inform your next move.