Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
We have driven our 2 EV's more than 45,000 miles, and we have never been stranded without a charge. We still have the Scion xD, and my son has been driving that a lot, because he has been commuting ~80 miles round trip (and that is more than our leases can support per day). I have driven our gas car 4 times in the last ~2 years.

I have found that as you drive an EV, you learn how far you can go, and the estimated range is very accurate, especially in warmer weather. As the weather gets colder, your expectations are gradually adjusted.

My spouse has anxiety about range, and so when I would be comfortable letting it go - we just plug in and charge, even if we don't really "need" too.

The caveat with driving an EV on longer trips - is you have to take the slower speed route, which can be a shorter distance, as well. And if you use quick charging, it adds ~30-60 minutes to getting where you are going, and on the return trip.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
We have driven our 2 EV's more than 45,000 miles, and we have never been stranded without a charge.
But you live in Massachusetts, no? They put things pretty close close together there.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Yes, but how does that matter? Range is range - and I have driven multiple times on trips right at the edge of the range, and trips that require a charge to complete.

Slight correction, we have over 46,000 miles total on our EV's.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Yes, but how does that matter? Range is range - and I have driven multiple times on trips right at the edge of the range...
Because if things are close together, then almost everywhere you want/need to go falls within a 70 mile range (or whatever), so an EV with a 70 mile range works. If it's a 40 mile trip to the grocery store, then even if there was a charging point at the store, you'd still have to hang around several hours waiting for the charging to take place. (And that's assuming someone else didn't get to it first, and left for a few hours :-()
Old 08-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
James, those issues are true no matter where you live.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
The Volt's design really solves the range issue relatively cheaply, compared to the Tesla solution of big, expensive batteries (which as cool as can be, love that car). For me a Volt would be the perfect temptation device, but when I test drove it I hated 4 person capacity and less cargo space than I anticipated. I know the new Volt seats 5, but why not the first? Were batteries that much larger 8 years ago? The Tesla seats 5. Why does a Tesla have so much more space than the Volt? The Volt has a generator the Tesla does not have, but the Volt probably has a smaller battery pack. Just wondering... rambling... I think about a second hand Gen1 volt for my daughter (currently 14 years old).
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
For me a Volt would be the perfect temptation device, but when I test drove it I hated 4 person capacity and less cargo space than I anticipated. I know the new Volt seats 5, but why not the first?
Why should a car have to seat 5 people? Why's that the magic number, and not 6, 8, 10...?

Seems obvious to me that if the car seats fewer people, it can be made smaller/lighter, and thus will have better fuel economy/battery range. If you look around you on the highways, you'll see few cars with more than one person in them, almost none with more than two. So, just as with the argument that a 70 mile range is sufficient for most trips, so would a 2-seater be sufficient.

For myself, if I were to buy a Volt, I'd likely take the rear seats out to create more cargo space.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Why should a car have to seat 5 people? Why's that the magic number, and not 6, 8, 10

For myself, if I were to buy a Volt, I'd likely take the rear seats out to create more cargo space.
Agreed

My relatives would only own old 3 row station wagons for a car and many times would fill all 9 positions.

Most 5 seat cars really are 4.5 seat and most adults won't sit in the rear.

At 6'3" I've never been bothered by too little space, just have to sit funny.

Having a volt, I can say that I've made 3 of the 4 seats useless so I could fit more cargo.

I've never need seating for 5, if so I have a mostly idle truck that fits 6

Silly argument
Old 08-29-2016, 05:40 AM   #29 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I believe the Honda Prelude went from a five-seater to four in 1991. I once had four other adults with me. That was fun!

It is nice to have the option for a fifth passenger, but if you only ever had one or two back there, they just might have enjoyed the setup slightly better.

Doesn't the Tesla have seats in the trunk?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #30 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
But you live in Massachusetts, no? They put things pretty close close together there.
Quote:
Yes, but how does that matter? Range is range...
Yes, but:

Quote:
The caveat with driving an EV on longer trips - is you have to take the slower speed route, which can be a shorter distance, as well.
Here in New England where things are close together and the interstates were shoehorned in wherever we could find space, the back roads may well be a shorter distance. If they're not, the better mileage you get can still outweigh a few more minutes or miles of driving. Out where things are farther apart there may only be one road, or the speed of your choice may add so much time to the trip that it's just not worth it. It may be great to make that choice, but buying a car that turns it into your only option isn't going to be a popular idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Reply  Post New Thread