Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cool Rants & raves about how other drivers ruin it for us!

Hi. I just joined, very excited to find this place.

So anyway, my main focus at this time is aero enhancements for highway speeds, but I've been reading a lot in the driving techniques area and I think it would be fun to have a thread where we talk about common scenarios where other drivers ruin our little games.

As much as I'd like to use some choice words, let's refrain from offering our opinions as to the mental capacity of these other motorists--for all I know, the one who ruined it for me today was rushing to school after hearing her kid is sick. (that's one of my mental tricks for dealing with this, feel free to share).

Anyway, sometimes I am coming up to a traffic light on a multi-lane road and the light is red, but through shrewd observation of the cross signals and/or pedestrian signals, I realize that if I coast down a bit, I'll be able to catch the green while still going at a decent clip and not lose too much momentum! Those moments are the spice of life to me.

In this scenario, there is only one lane that's clear to do this--there is at least one car already at a dead stop in all the other lanes. So as I cruise up to this stoplight, already excited by the prospect of saving time & fuel, what happens but a car zooms ahead/around me to take my place at the front of the line? Of course, chances are, the kind of person who does that is also someone who does not watch the cross street signals to anticipate the light turning green, so there's also a significant pause once the light actually turns green, which basically results in my whole plan going up in smoke.

It's times like these when I wish I had a disintegration ray.

Please share your thoughts and/or your blueprints for said ray. Thank you.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

pontiac trans am - '00 pontiac firebird trans am

jeep 1 - '02 jeep wrangler
90 day: 16.76 mpg (US)

jeep 2 - '07 jeep wrangler x
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Toyota - '09 Toyota Corolla lx
the one that always bugged me is when i am going 55 in a (what else) 55 speed zone, a person will rush to pass me literally cutting me off and slaming on there breaks causing me to stop just so that they could make there turn.. never did understand that..

ooohhh another good one, the "bullies" on the highway. i was driving along the highway 65 in a 65 driving my M-I-L's old alero (mother-in-law, wonderful lady she is, and no im not being sarcastic) anyhow, a person comes onto the highway about a car length or two ahead of me, maintains 65, i dont like to be that close behind a person (not to mention it is rude imho) so i move over to the next lane. a person comes up behind the person that just got on and position themselves so i cant move over. out of the blue a Jeep Liberty comes bareling up behind me (one of the new box shaped libertys none the less) and stays less than a cars length away from me. i slow down so the right lane can pass me so i can move over, after the lane passes i resume 65 and move over. the liberty driver moves next to me and stares and starts doing the "what was that about" dumb look (the one where the arms are raised and uper body forms a W) he then speeds off and was gone from sight within about 2 miles (keep in mind this was a pretty flat stretch, he was really booking)

i think a huge electro magnet design to be a repeller instead of an atractor would do wonderfully for some of these situations, its a little less violent and much harder to prove of any wrong doing.

liberty driver "officer i swear i was ramed by that little car"
officer "you mean the one without any damage??"

lol
/rant
Old 04-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
The old Me's out there

I used to be a raging racer lunatic on the roads -- lane weaving and all that.

Those people grind my gears these days. Hopefully they're come around.

And I know they have time schedules, but truckers who insist on riding my arse when I'm doing a reasonable speed. They get all bent out of shape if the tables are turned.

Same with people with larger vehicles than mine: most on the road these days. Just the big "grill in the rearview" thing.

To avoid road rage I generally just get out the way, when possible, or speed up a bit.

You work with what ya got, and hope that others see the light eventually.

RH77

_
_
Old 04-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
Smile

my vehicle looks so strange that generally the only problems i have, are kids wanting to race, adults wanting to pass only to ride along side for 3 miles taking pictures with little flat instruments that fold in half, being buzzed by the highway patrol but never have been stopped. but the funniest was when i had a full fairing on it, and the propane delivery guy asked if i had to drive through weeds a lot. When i pull up to a four way stop last, i might as well just go ahead, because the other three just sit, they want to see what the h__l the back end looks like.
So when you can't tell what kind of car it is anymore, then it gets to be fun. (read dangerous)
Old 04-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
I'll occasionally get a diesel truck floor it as they pass me on my ride home and I'll get surrounded by diesel smoke for a few seconds... I guess they're just jelous that I'm not consuming fuel by cycling and it hasn't ruined my games

While driving..... every time someone zooms around you - think of it as a free aero boost
Old 04-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post

While driving..... every time someone zooms around you - think of it as a free aero boost
That what I'm thinking when you look into the rear view mirror and all you see is grill. Nascar baby. I actually had some one try to pass me on the right shoulder today because I was doing 60 in a 65 until he saw that there was a car parked 1/4 mile up the road

Old 04-02-2008, 01:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
That what I'm thinking when you look into the rear view mirror and all you see is grill. Nascar baby. I actually had some one try to pass me on the right shoulder today because I was doing 60 in a 65 until he saw that there was a car parked 1/4 mile up the road
I've have that happen to me in Houston. You don't expect it. The funny part, is we all meet up at the light or toll booth anyways.

Treb -- Diesel does the body good

RH77

_
_
Old 04-02-2008, 01:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
I hate it when I'm coasting and someone pulls out from a side street or driveway and slows me down when there is absolutely NO ONE behind me. I could understand them pulling out in front of me if they were concerned that I might slow then down if I were in front of them, but pulling out in front of me just to drive slower than I coast makes me CRAZY!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
I'll occasionally get a diesel truck floor it as they pass me on my ride home and I'll get surrounded by diesel smoke for a few seconds...
I get those every few weeks or so...

But at $4.39/gallon for diesel I figure the joke's on them.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
I try to stay as calm and cool-headed as I can while I drive just because I think life's more enjoyable that way...but not getting pissed is like learning how not to swear. It's a *****...

I'm sure there is much more road rage aimed at me then I give out, so I try not to get too angry when people do dumb things. I only really get mad when someone makes me use my brakes...it hurts when driving a whale.

Hell, I even get mad at greens turning red, especially when it is on a major thoroughfare and one car is making a turn. I also hate it when a nice coast on a red light comes up just too fast and I have to brake. I also hate it when a coast is timed perfectly and a car swerves in front to fill up the "vacated" lane caused by my speed. Lastly, I hate it when cars switch lanes while cruising along and then hit their brakes. Really, I just hate having to slow down...because speeding up is so slooow.

- LostCause

Reply  Post New Thread