Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #131 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yella Peril - '80 Mercedes 240D sedan
That's going to be fun to watch Pete but it's not something I can do here, we aren't allowed to modify factory frames .... thus the postie bike for a reduced frontal area.

Have you done any work on the rear air flow from the 90? I think that would pay off well.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-19-2015, 02:46 AM   #132 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A minor update, I just enquired as to how long it will take for the new EFI 110s to get to auction ...it appears about a year or even more.

So maybe I'll buy a CT 110 first up, I can always refit any fairing I build to the EFI model when one becomes available . A bit of a bugger but so be it.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:54 AM   #133 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
There is this website that sells FI setup for motorbikes, maybe cheaper than a new-ish postie bike ?
Old 11-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #134 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yes, that is a good possibility and something that could be added later when the aero is done.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #135 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi all,
I thought I might update you on my latest developments, and share some of my observations.

The screen(roof) has been installed with a modicum of success, and tested properly over the past week or two over a range of terrain and weather conditions.

I did around 200 miles last week, and a 700 mile tour of the lake district last weekend, enough to test the concept and get a general impression, some good, some not so good.

I love the effortless cruising on motorways and dual carriageways, no wind noise or buffeting, warm, dry and cozy in my little bubble. The only problem was that I had to wind it up to flat out on occasions to relieve the boredom.

The screen does flex a little in disturbed air, but not by much because of the double curvature. It's made from 3mm Lexan because its easy to work with, but there's always a price to pay, it's too soft and scratches easily. This really is the biggest problem.

After only a few hundred miles the screen top was scratched to hell from light contact with the top of my helmet (see photo), so a harder material, maybe acrylic or a safety glass insert is a possibility.

I rode through a thunderstorm last week and got wet arms and legs, so for last weekend I gaffa taped the fairing vents and added a rubber rain channel to the edges to prevent the water running off the edge on to my sleeves, result!. We had some light rain on Saturday, I stayed dry.

The light rain highlighted another problem, despite using RainX on the screen, visibility was not good enough, it was ok in the storm but the light rain would gather in droplets and not run off the screen at any speed below 40mph.

Part of the tour was on badly surfaced, single track mountain passes, with 100 foot drops on one side, and dry stone walls on the other, when it rained I had to look around the screen rather than through it.

The Hardnott Pass, Cumbria

A widscreen wiper of some description is needed, it would soon make the Lexan opaque, another reason for a harder screen material.

The view through the screen, ever wondered why car dashboards are matt black? notice the 'heads up' display.

Access to the topbox is easy because of the flexible screen.

In conclusion, I would say the concept was proven to be a success.

I'm going to put the original screen back on for the summer and hopefully somehow resolve the visibilty problem before next winter.

Oh, almost forgot, surprisingly, the 'roof' didn't improve the fuel economy, it stayed the same at around 120mpg imp., go figure!

Last edited by Ironside; 07-26-2017 at 01:38 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ironside For This Useful Post:
gil (04-04-2017), Piwoslaw (04-08-2017), sendler (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 04:17 PM   #136 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks for the update, it is good to see that you are making progress.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #137 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hi Pete, good to see you ! I reckon that if you ''faired'' the rear section of your bike your fuel economy would improve. Thanks for the update .... it's complicated isn't it !
Old 04-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #138 (permalink)
Permanent Lurker

Dáčenka - '10 Dacia / Renault Logan MCV 1.5 dCi (X90 k9k)
90 day: 47.08 mpg (US)
Cellphone accessory shops advertise here glass treatment. Its either scratch resistant foil or kind of ?resin? that hardens andakes the glass scratch resistant.maybe to ask to harden your windshield locally, keep it flexible elsewhere?
The Following User Says Thank You to seifrob For This Useful Post:
Ironside (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 07:33 AM   #139 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

PeterS
Quote:
I reckon that if you ''faired'' the rear section of your bike your fuel economy would improve
Hi Peter, Rob Ring's Guzzi has been rebuilt with new bodywork, the old rear fairing is laying in someone's back yard and is available if I want it. Work on the FF 400 is close to completion and once that's done I'll investigate the possibility of streamlining the rear of the 90.

Rob Ring Guzzi

Having said that, I'm quite happy with the 90 as it is, it does everything I want in terms of practicality, but it would be an interesting to see what difference it makes.

I expected the 'roof' to make a difference to economy, but it didn't. Motorcycle aerodynamics is complicated, I try not to think too much and use the 'seat of the pants' approach. As I've said before, the most slippery bike in the world would be no good to me if I coulnt use it on the street.

When are you going to make a start?.

Thanks seifrob, never thought of that, I'll investigate further.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #140 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

My projects have come to a bit of a halt this last year Pete. I got a brain cancer and had to have an operation to remove a tumour, then radiation and chemo.

The result has been a slow tired year and not much done .... but I'm alive and happy !

I'm still riding my old BMW but am thinking I might sell it and play this game.

Last edited by PeterS; 04-07-2017 at 05:16 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread