Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Walt Kelly was a far wiser man than RonOld Raygun. The predicate nominative would be "the problem is we." But, Kelly didn't say that, so I didn't paraphrase him to correct his grammar. I did it to echo his point. Here's what Pogo really said.

Put the communist bogeyman back in the closet. He doesn't scare anyone anymore. We should worry more about our sheeple willingly selling themselves into slavery to buy goods from capitalist and communist alike.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
The Following User Says Thank You to SentraSE-R For This Useful Post:
UFO (02-29-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Must have put the fear of Frank into em

Rules to prevent car back-over deaths delayed - Yahoo! News

The link notes that large SUVs and Pickups are the main problem... yet this was gonna go across the board.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
If a manufacturer can make a vehicle that gets better mileage at the same cost as their competitor, they'll sell more and make more money. Manufacturers already have the ability to increase fuel economy--it's just that it increases the cost more than the consumer would like to pay. All the regs do is force the customer to accept a more costly vehicle than they otherwise would.
Dead wrong. Sure, manufacturers could build cars with much better fuel economy, and many people would buy them if left to themselves, as they did in the '70s and '80s. But (excepting a few like the Prius) manufacturers don't WANT to build cars that get good fuel economy. They would much rather build gas guzzlers, and spend billions on advertising to convince people to buy them.

As for having to pay for things we don't want... Well, I don't want power windows, remote-control door locks, GPS units, "infotainment" systems that interface my car with a cell phone, or a number of other things that manufacturers add to cars without being forced to do so through regulation. But (unless government intervenes) it looks as though I'll be stuck with all of those, and with paying for them.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Dead wrong. Sure, manufacturers could build cars with much better fuel economy, and many people would buy them if left to themselves, as they did in the '70s and '80s. But (excepting a few like the Prius) manufacturers don't WANT to build cars that get good fuel economy. They would much rather build gas guzzlers, and spend billions on advertising to convince people to buy them.
Why would the manufacturers build ineffecient cars just for the sake of building inefficient cars? If manufacturer A can make a car that gets 40 mpg and offer it at the same or a better price than manufacturer B whose car gets 30 mpg, all else being equal manufacturer A is going to sell more cars. Case in point is the Japanese automakers (Toyota, Honda, etc.) that came into the US market in the 70's & 80's. They made cars that got better mileage than the big 3 US automakers and sold their cars at a better price. It took some time and they had some other issues to take care of, but today look at how much market share those companies have gained. Or look at how well the Prius has done vs other hybrids. Other comanies have made hybrids, but the Prius is better than most in terms of FE and their sales are a reflection of that.

As far as increased cost goes, here's my point. Manufactures could make a car that gets unbelievable mileage by, for example, going with a small diesel engine with two-stage turbocharging (to meet the power demand). Of course, with that diesel comes an expensive 30,000psi+ fuel injection system and an aftertreatment system to meet modern emissions (which cost as much or more than the engine BTW). We'll put machined titanium compressor wheels in those turbos too so we can get more boost out of them. We'll go with an aluminum block and head(s) to reduce weight. We'll add a turbo compound and/or a waste heat recovery system to recover the exhaust heat energy. We'll polish all the intake and exhaust ports & manifolds and add a ceramic coating inside & out. We'll put in electrically driven cooling fans, coolant pump, & lube pump. Of course, it will be a hybrid with the latest, most power-dense batteries money can buy, accompanied by a regenerative braking system. We'll make all the frame and body out of aluminum and/or carbon fiber to reduce the weight. We'll spend gobs of money on engineering, CFD, and windtunnel testing to perfect the aerodynamics. We'll put high-efficiency LED in every light bumb on the vehicle. And, voila! We've just made you a 100+mpg mid-sized sedan...that will cost $100,000+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
As for having to pay for things we don't want... Well, I don't want power windows, remote-control door locks, GPS units, "infotainment" systems that interface my car with a cell phone, or a number of other things that manufacturers add to cars without being forced to do so through regulation. But (unless government intervenes) it looks as though I'll be stuck with all of those, and with paying for them.
I didn't want to pay for power windows, remote-control door locks, GPS units, or "infotainment" system--so I found a truck without them and bought it (fairly inexpensively too).

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 02-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...on some GM models all those "gadgets" cannot be "deleted"--the car comes with them or else!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...on some GM models all those "gadgets" cannot be "deleted"--the car comes with them or else!
And by GM, I assume you mean the GM that just went bankrupt. Hmm...might be something to that.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 02-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...on a different website, I derisively state: "...'new' GM = 'old' GM with new paint..."

...and, the more often that I have to interface with mothership GM, the more certain I become of my perception of them.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
Why would the manufacturers build ineffecient cars just for the sake of building inefficient cars?
I don't know why they do it. However, the observed evidence that they do just that is overwhelming.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #29 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
The current meandering direction of the thread, and its discussion so far, prove a couple of things.

1. If you want true change* to occur, you have to legislate and enforce it.
2. Sometimes you can't enforce it.
3. You can't satisfy everyone, ever.

*except for the rare sea change, like the invention of the wheel, light bulb, etc.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 03-01-2012 at 11:32 AM..
Old 03-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
*except for the rare sea change, like the invention of the wheel, light bulb, etc.
Not even light bulbs :-( There are people and communities that still use gas lighting: Gas lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply  Post New Thread