Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #351 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Yeah I do want to pull all the plasti-dip off but I had a friend coming over to do mountain bike things and didn't have time to do it all immediately.

I'm asking $1200 OBO and it is a little high for a beat up Civic, but then it has basically ALL new suspension. I put a "make an offer" note on there too. I would like to get a grand for it since I put three times that into this pos in maintenance, but we'll see.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #352 (permalink)
0.29 Cd and decreasing

Red Rocket - '90 honda CRX HF
Team Honda
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 53.46 mpg (US)
I think you'll be able to get it, especially when you explain the range of mpg a driver could get out of it

Old 10-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #353 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm having a hard time getting people to come look at this thing. I got one guy say he was going to buy it, then back out later that night.

If anyone on this site wants to buy it, I would like that. I'm willing to let it go for $1k cash. Tell your friends... winter is coming and I don't want to have this thing sitting in the parking lot.

If you want any of the parts, come get them. 14" HX wheels, $50. Spare DX trans, $50. Instrument cluster surround, $5. Carbon hood, $100 + any color steel hood. Rear seats, $10. strut bar, $20

Last edited by Sven7; 10-03-2014 at 10:36 AM..
Old 10-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #354 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Do you have a dedicated for sale thread going?

For Sale
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #355 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Edit: It's there now

Last edited by Sven7; 10-03-2014 at 10:18 AM..
Old 10-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #356 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

So stupid.

I've been trying to sell it for two months now and it's still in my parking lot. Apparently no one wants to pay anything over about $800, which is not worth it for me.

I tried the car rental thing over LSPR two weeks ago and Enterprise (a two mile bike ride from work) charged $40/day for insurance, which helped raise my five-day rental to about $350. I wanted a "Chevy Spark or similar", hoping for a hatchback, and got "upgraded" to a Hyundai Elantra sedan. The car had low mileage and worked flawlessly for me. It had manumatic to keep me sane and a painters tape grille block to get me 41mpg on the highway.

But $350! For five days!

That's insane. It doesn't seem like other rental places are much better, and certainly none are closer.

I emailed my insurance agent to see how difficult it would be to switch insurance on and off of this thing. I've been wanting it gone for months, and now I'm leaning toward keeping it. It needs a hundred dollars or so in rust repair for that water leak, and I'd need that done immediately.

I'll need to fight the temptation to spend money on the car, but I think I may be able to be frugal about it.

Last edited by Sven7; 10-27-2014 at 01:53 PM..
Old 10-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #357 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Throwing these here for inspiration.

GPRauto 92-95 Civic Closed front end
Carbon Fiber 92-95 civic hatch back Drag wing

Edit: Got word back and I'm just going to keep the car and have it on storage insurance for now, while I collect my thoughts. I don't want to sell the car then realize I should have kept it. It maybe a piece of crap, but it's MY piece of crap with mods that fit MY life.

Last edited by Sven7; 10-27-2014 at 02:27 PM..
Old 10-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #358 (permalink)
Not bad for a machine

Maechunbu - Retired - '00 Kia Sephia 1.8I4 16VDOHC
Last 3: 45.28 mpg (US)

Slasher - '96 Chevy Corsica 2.2L 3speedauto
Duct Tape Aero Crew
Team Chevy
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
I really like the car and even if you don't need one all the time it's got to be cheaper and more fun then a rental car.

Also try craigslist I used to rent my pickup out to random people for cheap. It helped cover the insurance for a vehicle that wasn't used much but still needed.

Just keep the Honda and do whatever you want to it. It is your POS you can do whatever you want. That's why I love POS cars. Im not afraid of driving a total POS around or long distances. This idea that modern America has that you NEED a new car. Uhh my car is 15 years old and I will drive it anyplace I need to go. If something stops working I will buy the part and replace it.

I say keep this car. Make it how you want too. This is your car. Enjoy it. Continue pissing off mainstream America. Keep it slow and smooth. Keep making em late for work!

Old 10-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #359 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah, a big part of the decision was the fact that I can't rent a small, manual hatchback. I'm not going to rent my car out, though. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

And yep, I'm looking forward to modding it as long as I don't spend too much money on it. I haven't used this car since July, so it's not as if it's anything near a daily.

Working on my fab guy to get this water leak fixed, and then I can think about modifications.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #360 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Mazda3 - '08 Mazda 3 S
90 day: 29.65 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '13 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 46.16 mpg (US)

Wife's - '12 GMC Terrain SLE-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
So stupid.

I've been trying to sell it for two months now and it's still in my parking lot. Apparently no one wants to pay anything over about $800, which is not worth it for me.

I tried the car rental thing over LSPR two weeks ago and Enterprise (a two mile bike ride from work) charged $40/day for insurance, which helped raise my five-day rental to about $350. I wanted a "Chevy Spark or similar", hoping for a hatchback, and got "upgraded" to a Hyundai Elantra sedan. The car had low mileage and worked flawlessly for me. It had manumatic to keep me sane and a painters tape grille block to get me 41mpg on the highway.

But $350! For five days!

That's insane. It doesn't seem like other rental places are much better, and certainly none are closer.

I emailed my insurance agent to see how difficult it would be to switch insurance on and off of this thing. I've been wanting it gone for months, and now I'm leaning toward keeping it. It needs a hundred dollars or so in rust repair for that water leak, and I'd need that done immediately.

I'll need to fight the temptation to spend money on the car, but I think I may be able to be frugal about it.
If you rent with a credit card you may have some insurance there as well. My Visa will insure me up to $27,000 (or something near there) for repairs/replacement of any car I rent with it. My auto insurance covers be for injury/liability on whatever I am driving. So I never get the extra insurance.

Looking at the pics of your car I can understand why it's not selling. Sure it might be mechanically sound, and I think any vehicle that is should sell for at least $1K. But man does it look like a POS! A few rattle cans of spray paint to get it all 1 color would go a long ways towards getting it sold. Lose the wheel covers and clean the windows off and I bet you'd have no problem getting it moved.

Also, if you are listing on Craigslist that's why you are having trouble getting people to come look. Too many flakes. Everytime I've sold a larger item (Jeep, welder, motorcycles, etc) on there it seems about 1 out of 50 people that contact you "extremely interested" actually show up.