Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tall rider seeking recomendations: ~250cc bike/scooter for best mpg's

6'4 and 35" inseam, looking for a cheap/USED bike or scooter, (for fun, not going to try to justify it for practical/economic reasons). I have motorcycle endorsement but haven't owned a motorbike in around 10 years.

REQUIREMENTS
-65mph+ sustained on a slight incline (ie highway/interstate capable for at least short distances, in benign/safe conditions)
-Safely carry a passenger around town (I am 210lbs+gear, 150lb passenger)

-Scooters
A major plus for a scooter would be ability to easily store 1-2 (full face) helmets out of sight, cons: the automatic / cvt transmission inefficiency and the excessive amount of plastic to access the engine/mechanical for DIY maintenance & repairs.

Honda Reflex
Helix
Elite ch250
Aprilia
Kymco
Piaggio
Linhai or any other Chinese made
Sym
Genuine

-Motorcycles
I would prefer a standard or cruiser style bike, I have a strong aversion towards street and dual sport bikes but I am (of course) open to ANY suggestions. I would never be riding tucked on a Ninja 250 or cbr , for example, and although dual sport bikes seem to have higher seat height, I don't really like the style or handling (on road) much... and in the smaller sizes they seem marginal for carrying a passenger.

Simple modifications like a fairing, different handlebars, forward controls, and raised seat would be reasonable suggestions, but this will not become a full streamlined type project or anything like that. Gearing and performance changes would be considered down the road but not right away.

Suzuki tu250
Yamaha sr250
Honda Nighthawk 250
Suzuki gx250, gz250
Yamaha Virago 250
Kawasaki kz250
Honda cb250/cm250/twinstar/cb400/rebel 250 (seem too small, or at least too short of seat height from what I remember in the past)
Baja, Hyosung/etc?

These are just a partial list of what I have seen for sale used locally this winter (and all except for the tu250x for under 2k). I am not at all adverse to an 80's bike and/or a project, as I have the time for it. I definitely do not mind single cylinder in this size range, infact I really like the "feel" of all the single cylinders I have been on. I almost bought a honda reflex, but the seating position was not ideal, the amount of plastic seemed excessive, and I decided I better go look at other options before pulling the trigger.

The bike will be driven conservatively, with fuel economy in mind. It would be used for an equal mix of city driving and 55-65mph highway use.

I am wondering if there are any other taller riders out there who have experience with any of these models. Or anyone with any thoughts about the best 200-400cc fuel economy, given my requirements

Hence this post. Any thoughts or specific recommendations VERY MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread