Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Now available from EcoModder: ScanGauge II fuel economy gauge.  Click for details.  

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 77

The Odyssey Van - '11 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 29.1 mpg (US)

silver racecar - '13 hyundai accent GS
90 day: 38.8 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Requesting aero mod ideas (pickup: dodge ram 2500 4x4)

I have an 06 dodge ram 2500 4x4 raised 2.5" in the front to be leveled and running 325/55R22 tires. My frontal area is around 38 sq. ft. per my calcs. Looking for ideas for aero mods. Here are my ideas so far: Will eventually be going to a smaller tire size to help lower frontal area some. Thinking of a grill block of some sort but it seems to me that having a somewhat flat surface on the front would raise drag? Maybe a lower front air dam to keep air from going under truck but unshure on looks of this and effectiveness. Will probly block off fog light holes and spaces in front bumper. Also thinking of folding my mirrors back an placing a small mirror on each. With my mirrors being probly 1-1.5 sq. ft. each I could cut this in less than half folded back helping to reduce frontal area some. Give me some pointers along with effectiveness of mod. Thanks.

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Batman Junior
 
MetroMPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1000 Islands, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 16,408

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 69.06 mpg (US)

ForkenSwift - '92 Geo Metro EV
Last 3: 95.68 mpg (US)

U.F.O. - retired - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 88.21 mpg (US)
Thanks: 936
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,412 Posts
As far as individual modifications go, adding a properly designed aerodynamic cap will yield the biggest drag reduction: 20%

Quote:
Texas Tech University Aero Lab publishes: pickup cab wing good for 6-per cent drag reduction,1/2-tonneau gives a 6-per cent drop, full tonneau gives 7-per cent, cab wing and 1/2 tonneau together nets a 17.5-per cent gain, and an "aeroshell" is good for a 20-per cent drag reduction. - source
You might want to peruse the data in the index of links on this page: Index of Phil Knox Aerodynamics Seminars & Mod-data lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbzcummins View Post
Thinking of a grill block of some sort but it seems to me that having a somewhat flat surface on the front would raise drag?
Diverting excess air flow that isn't needed for cooling improves drag because the path through the dirty engine bay and eventually underneath the truck is worse than sending it around the outside of the vehicle. The flat front doesn't matter so much, provided the transition to the sides and top have enough of a curve (which your truck does).

If you're going to block the grille, do it progressively, and monitor temperature like a hawk. Also, you have to pay attention to the intercooler if you have one. Some of the other diesel drivers may pipe up.

Quote:
Maybe a lower front air dam to keep air from going under truck but unshure on looks of this and effectiveness.
Big Dave swears by his. There is data in the link provided to support their effectiveness. As for looks, well that's your call!

[quote>Will probly block off fog light holes and spaces in front bumper. [/quote]

Coudn't hurt.

Quote:
Also thinking of folding my mirrors back an placing a small mirror on each. With my mirrors being probly 1-1.5 sq. ft. each I could cut this in less than half folded back helping to reduce frontal area some.
If you can do it without compromising safety, go for it. Rare are the mods that reduce both Cd and A.
__________________
Latest test: Ecodriving comparison: 2014 Mirage CVT vs. Mirage 5-speed vs. '98 Metro 5-spd
Latest project:
Honda Insight boat tail extension (cardboard) tuft video; ABA test +9.7%



EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Big Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Steppes of Central Indiana
Posts: 1,213

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 94 Times in 72 Posts
Cleaning up the bed is the aerodynamic big enchilada for pickups.

A tonneau is good. A sloped bed cover is better.

Don't forget an air dam.
__________________
2000 Ford F-350 SC 4x2 6 Speed Manual
4" Slam
3.08:1 gears and Gear Vendor Overdrive
Hard Tonneau and Rugged Air Dam
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is a guy on the CumminsForum who posted his new front airdam pics yesterday. He put a 10" airdam on the front, below the front fender. Claims to have raised mileage between 3 and 4mpg. I have the same truck, 2004 quadcab 2500 longbed 4wd. I am thinking of doing a similar mod, but with different materials. I was thinking that I could build a spacer between the bumper and the little oem airdam, extending it down about 6 more inches. I would also be able to vent my homebrew cold air intake there. I don't think the ideas of warm or hot air intake work with a turbodiesel. Heat is the enemy of that engine.
Good Luck,
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbzcummins View Post
I have an 06 dodge ram 2500 4x4 raised 2.5" in the front to be leveled and running 325/55R22 tires. My frontal area is around 38 sq. ft. per my calcs. Looking for ideas for aero mods. Here are my ideas so far: Will eventually be going to a smaller tire size to help lower frontal area some. Thinking of a grill block of some sort but it seems to me that having a somewhat flat surface on the front would raise drag? Maybe a lower front air dam to keep air from going under truck but unshure on looks of this and effectiveness. Will probly block off fog light holes and spaces in front bumper. Also thinking of folding my mirrors back an placing a small mirror on each. With my mirrors being probly 1-1.5 sq. ft. each I could cut this in less than half folded back helping to reduce frontal area some. Give me some pointers along with effectiveness of mod. Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 6,013
Thanks: 4,657
Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,146 Posts
Mopar parallel heat-exchangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
As far as individual modifications go, adding a properly designed aerodynamic cap will yield the biggest drag reduction: 20%

You might want to peruse the data in the index of links on this page: Index of Phil Knox Aerodynamics Seminars & Mod-data lists



Diverting excess air flow that isn't needed for cooling improves drag because the path through the dirty engine bay and eventually underneath the truck is worse than sending it around the outside of the vehicle. The flat front doesn't matter so much, provided the transition to the sides and top have enough of a curve (which your truck does).

If you're going to block the grille, do it progressively, and monitor temperature like a hawk. Also, you have to pay attention to the intercooler if you have one. Some of the other diesel drivers may pipe up.

Big Dave swears by his. There is data in the link provided to support their effectiveness. As for looks, well that's your call!

[quote>Will probly block off fog light holes and spaces in front bumper.
Coudn't hurt.

If you can do it without compromising safety, go for it. Rare are the mods that reduce both Cd and A.[/QUOTE]

Be extra carefull blocking your Dodge.I believe the heat-exchangers are parallel ( side-by-side ) instead of serial as in most vehicles.
Dr. Korff would say that your inlet,while only 1/6 the height of your exchangers,would still have to be full-width,and the duct would have to be as "deep" as the full height of the cores.And completely air-tight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a link to the guy who just fabbed a airdam for his Dodge Cummins. 2-3 MPG increase - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Enjoy,
Dave
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 77

The Odyssey Van - '11 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 29.1 mpg (US)

silver racecar - '13 hyundai accent GS
90 day: 38.8 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I am going to try the "fastback" bed cover like big dave has on his truck since he made gains of around 3mpg with this mod. I will also be folding mirrors back for less frontal area and improved fe and less drag. Front lower air valence will come later.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbzcummins View Post
I am going to try the "fastback" bed cover like big dave has on his truck since he made gains of around 3mpg with this mod. I will also be folding mirrors back for less frontal area and improved fe and less drag. Front lower air valence will come later.
I like the fastback bed design that one of the members was showing that would have an opening top. I think I would go to pick-and-pull and find a hatchback car with the right angle hatchback and a big window. With creativity, you could leave with the hatch, the hingemounts from the roof of the car, and the pin mechanism for locking it. Get a key made, and you would have easy locking access, and a rear window.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1995 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 - 25 mpg possible? superchow EcoModding Central 11 03-09-2014 03:01 AM
Report: Improving the Aero Characteristics of a Dodge Ram Pickup Truck MetroMPG Aerodynamics 36 08-05-2013 11:25 PM
Video: aero cap on 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 MetroMPG Aerodynamics 4 01-03-2010 10:20 PM
jeep aero mod ideas johnpr Aerodynamics 22 08-27-2008 07:45 PM




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com