Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
second the remove the half shafts suggestion, figure out how to accelerate it (push it with another car and a tire?) and do some coastdowns without the axles. Then put it back together and do coastdowns with the axles and the difference is the transaxle/driveline.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Actually, I had used this as my starting place with:
Evalutaion of 2004 Toyota Prius Hybrid Electric Drive System, R. H. Staunton, C. W. Ayers, L. D. Marlino, J. N. Chiasson, T. A. Burress, May 2006, ORNL/TM-2006/423, UT-Battelle
But roll-down tests would be impractical.

If I do this, I will put the front on jack-stands and some mechanism to keep the tires rotating at the same speed . . . some kind of hillbilly dyno. But I won't be putting 3,000 lbs of rolling, unpowered metal on the street.

Bob Wilson
Old 06-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

For rolling resistance I thought you could push it at a constant speed, and measure the force required, and then another speed, and measure the force required, and get a line from that. So remove the halfshafts, and push it 2 mph (measure the force), and push it 5 mph (measure the force). Even if the short test stretch of has a slope, you can back out the effect of that by using the same stretch each time you test. You use a low speed to keep aero effects out of it. You're smart enough to do big piles of math, but you are also smart enough to know that nothing beats actual data.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Actually I had thought about a 5th wheel or trailer setup to measure tire rolling resistance. I saw a photo where the test tire was on a towed trailer with force sensors. My thinking is the trailer with 4-lug and 5-lug configuration would allow testing of 14", 15" and 17" wheels and hauling the unit to GreenDriveExpo. Then we could survey any tires that anyone wants to 'loan' for testing.

The other thought is to rig up a 4-wheel, multi-zone, IR thermal setup so we could measure temperature distributions across each tire tread, three are all that are needed. Then offer it as a free, dynamic alignment check with EZ-shim or metal tab shims available at cost to support 4-wheel alignment. In the meanwhile, collecting the ratio of tire temperatures to road and air temperatures would give a good, 1st order metric of relative rolling resistance. Same idea as before, offer it at GreenDriveExpo.

I like the second approach because no tire changing is involved which will speed up data collection. Best of all, the owner gets useful information that they can follow-up with if they want to optimize their alignment. Everybody wins.

As for the transaxle testing, I'm really interested in the relative transaxle oil effects and the study cited earlier has loss curves that show an exponential curve. I should be able to use the viscosity formula to make a parametric set to understand what is the likely effect, the magnitude. Then do a couple of point-measurements to apply to the curves and voila, a practical transaxle friction/viscosity loss model.

As for the measurements, I really want to avoid hill rolling in this case as I think I can get better data with known drive and load forces.

Bob Wilson

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
crr, rolling resistance, rrc, tire