Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoPlotting

Sliver - '12 Hyundai Elantra limited
Team Hyundai
90 day: 35.1 mpg (US)

t-ruck - '06 chevy Colorado Lt
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)

Bob - '09 Harley Sportster Nightster
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Pearl - '14 Toyota Prius C 3
90 day: 48.1 mpg (US)
I know that this is still off topic for this particular discussion but I found this on another thread while looking into torque converter lock up. Brings me back to the cold causing more RR for the drivetrain possible even when in neutral. I still think this could be a factor in decreased coasting distances in cold weather.

[QUOTE=orange4boy;128030]Interesting find from an Amsoil ad, so grains of salt should be consumed:

Quote:
Over 40 percent of total energy loss in a transmission can be attributed to the act of pumping automatic transmission fluid (ATF) to the transmissions components during transfer of power. The mechanical efficiency of an automatic transmission is directly affected by the viscosity of the transmission fluid. When temperatures drop and cause ATF to thicken, transmission efficiency and power decline. Industry tests on torque loss demonstrate that a temperature increase of 150 degrees F increases transmission efficiency by up to 37.5 percent. In other words, as viscosity decreases, transmission efficiency increases.

This means to two things for this winter:

1) Synthetic ATF
2) Transmission preheater.

Quote:
While the average conventional transmission fluid has a Brookfield viscosity of 15,000 cP, Amsoil synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid far exceeds the minimum standard with a Brookfield viscosity of 7,454 cP ensuring maximum transmission efficiency and power even during the coldest winter temperatures.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread