Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
It's also worth to remind that certain loads which could be safely moved with a trailer might exceed the payload rating when a roof rack is used instead.
Right a load that is within the ability of a roof rack would probably be within the ability of a hitch mounted cargo carrier, no trailer required. The best of all would be a hitch mounted carrier that was actually designed to improve the aero shape of the car. Too much weight there could mess with handling but most FWD stuff is already front heavy so it wouldn't be too bad.

Here is my Forester loaded for camping, the hitch is better and I don't want to lift even a 55cc motorcycle onto the roof.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Right a load that is within the ability of a roof rack would probably be within the ability of a hitch mounted cargo carrier, no trailer required. The best of all would be a hitch mounted carrier that was actually designed to improve the aero shape of the car.
That makes sense, and would probably be easier to enhance the aerodynamics, while also not raising the center of gravity.

Quote:
Too much weight there could mess with handling but most FWD stuff is already front heavy so it wouldn't be too bad.
Not so front-heavy at all, especially nowadays with that downsizing trend.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

In OZ that cargo hitch would be illegal due to too much rear overhang.
Rear overhang here can't be more than 1/3 wheelbase from the rear axel meaning a lot of cars and especially Utes can't legally even put a bike carrier on the back.

You also can't cover tail lights or number plate but that's an easy fix.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez77 View Post
In OZ that cargo hitch would be illegal due to too much rear overhang.
Rear overhang here can't be more than 1/3 wheelbase from the rear axel meaning a lot of cars and especially Utes can't legally even put a bike carrier on the back.

You also can't cover tail lights or number plate but that's an easy fix.
1/3 the wheel base or 1/3 the overall length? I would think a lot of cars from the factory have body panels that extend over 1/3 their wheel base especially before about 1993 when the whole "cab forward" design trend started. I think a normal 120" wheelbase 8' long bed Ram pickup has more than 40" behind the axle.

Anyway it's ok here besides maybe covering the plate but worst case you will just get a "fix it and your ok" ticket. 1/2 the cars you can't see the plate this time of year because it's covered in brown slush residue. the taillights you can see just fine as it's really not that wide, worst case some spokes are in front of them. Orange strap ends work as a flag and that's what's required on a load sticking way out past the bumper around here.

We have about one patrolman per 700 miles on duty at any given time so they do have plenty of better things to do with all the meth and other illicit trafficking crossing our state.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
1/3 the wheel base or 1/3 the overall length? I would think a lot of cars from the factory have body panels that extend over 1/3 their wheel base especially before about 1993 when the whole "cab forward" design trend started. I think a normal 120" wheelbase 8' long bed Ram pickup has more than 40" behind the axle.

Anyway it's ok here besides maybe covering the plate but worst case you will just get a "fix it and your ok" ticket. 1/2 the cars you can't see the plate this time of year because it's covered in brown slush residue. the taillights you can see just fine as it's really not that wide, worst case some spokes are in front of them. Orange strap ends work as a flag and that's what's required on a load sticking way out past the bumper around here.

We have about one patrolman per 700 miles on duty at any given time so they do have plenty of better things to do with all the meth and other illicit trafficking crossing our state.

Sorry got that wrong.
It's 60% of the wheelbase is the max overhang.
I remember we looked into it on our landcruiser at one time and could leagally only have something sticking out 300mm behind the it. By the time we put a spare tyre on the back there was no room for anything else.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Aerokee - '97 Jeep Cherokee XJ sport
90 day: 18.22 mpg (US)

Scrambler - '74 Honda CL200 Motorcycle
90 day: 55 mpg (US)
good question
Old 01-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Aerokee - '97 Jeep Cherokee XJ sport
90 day: 18.22 mpg (US)

Scrambler - '74 Honda CL200 Motorcycle
90 day: 55 mpg (US)
If possible, the best is to place cargo on the back, like attached to the hitch.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I also prefer a hitch cargo carrier so that I can easily access my stuff.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
roof rack, trailer