Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
You could eventually do such upgrades like the increased engine size and disc brakes in a Honda-based project motorcycle, but it would require less frame mods which seem to be a more critical point regarding safety (and bureaucracy).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yella Peril - '80 Mercedes 240D sedan
You are correct. I had a good look at a CT110 yesterday and it does have a better frame for the job but the brakes are uninspiring. I'm going to see if I can find a front disc at least that will fit.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
I'm going to see if I can find a front disc at least that will fit.
Remember: retrofitting a front disc brake is always easier than a rear disc brake in a motorcycle originally fitted only with drum brakes. Is the Honda Wave 125 available in Australia?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Its not a model sold in Australia I would have to get it through ADRs which would cost more than the scooter is worth which is a pity as it's just about the right spec.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi PeterS,
Sorry for the delay in reply, I've been away for a few days.

The first observation is, how will you lower the seating position (necessary for a number of reasons) without modifying the frame?. You've already told us there may be a problem with your vehicle licencing authority.
An 'underbone' frame won't need modifying.

Secondly, small wheels will do nothing for stability, if that's not an issue then it might be easier to start with a Chinese clone scooter.

There is a HUGE worldwide aftermarket for the Honda stepthru models, pretty much anything you need, from complete motors, uprated suspension and brakes to that little rubber widget are easily available. Plus you would have access to any any number of secondhand spares. There must be tons of scrapped postie bikes laying around.

There seems to be a little lack of faith with regards to the handling and braking of these little stepthu's, well I'd like to say ' don't knock it 'till you've tried it '. I am a motorcyclist with almost 50 years of riding experience, and have owned and ridden hundreds of different bikes in that time, so I think I'm qualified to comment.

Set up correctly, the handling and braking are adequate for speeds up to 70 mph., bearing in mind that normal cruising speed would be between 50 and 60, and if I wanted to get my knee down I'd buy an R1. It's different horses for different courses, it depends on your needs.

The Sym and other Chinese copies are what they are, copies. They are not Hondas, you could be forgiven for assuming they are the same because they look the same, they are not !.

Finally, if you decide to use a Honda stepthru platform for your build, I'll probably be able to offer advice because I've been there and done it.

Regards
Ironside.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

If you can't get any front-wheel disc brake setup in an underbone platform from Honda, you may want to take a look at the brakes of a CBR 125 or a XR 125.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
Hi PeterS,
Sorry for the delay in reply, I've been away for a few days.

The first observation is, how will you lower the seating position (necessary for a number of reasons) without modifying the frame?. You've already told us there may be a problem with your vehicle licencing authority.
An 'underbone' frame won't need modifying.

Secondly, small wheels will do nothing for stability, if that's not an issue then it might be easier to start with a Chinese clone scooter.

There is a HUGE worldwide aftermarket for the Honda stepthru models, pretty much anything you need, from complete motors, uprated suspension and brakes to that little rubber widget are easily available. Plus you would have access to any any number of secondhand spares. There must be tons of scrapped postie bikes laying around.

There seems to be a little lack of faith with regards to the handling and braking of these little stepthu's, well I'd like to say ' don't knock it 'till you've tried it '. I am a motorcyclist with almost 50 years of riding experience, and have owned and ridden hundreds of different bikes in that time, so I think I'm qualified to comment.

Set up correctly, the handling and braking are adequate for speeds up to 70 mph., bearing in mind that normal cruising speed would be between 50 and 60, and if I wanted to get my knee down I'd buy an R1. It's different horses for different courses, it depends on your needs.

The Sym and other Chinese copies are what they are, copies. They are not Hondas, you could be forgiven for assuming they are the same because they look the same, they are not !.

Finally, if you decide to use a Honda stepthru platform for your build, I'll probably be able to offer advice because I've been there and done it.

Regards
Ironside.
OK, you've hit the nail on the head. Thanks Ironside.

As you say, you've done it and if you think all's well, so be it. I admit that the brakes were my main concern in that all the postie bike around here travel at 25 to 30 mph not 50 to 60 mph..

Last edited by PeterS; 05-13-2014 at 06:36 PM..
Old 05-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Since one of the eco-driving rules is to avoid using the brakes, it may not make sense at all to upgrade them
Old 05-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The question of brakes is the need for one quick stop vs repeated braking on an eco-bike. Lowering the seat height means you are less likely to be thrown over the handle bars by a strong front brake. Disc front and drum rear is common enough. Proportioning can be adjusted based on weight distribution and tire sizes.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
gil
EcoModding Lurker

The Drift - '85 Toyota Corolla GTS
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)

!Rally - '02 Subaru Impreza WRX
90 day: 27.68 mpg (US)

Cinnamon - '13 Honda PCX 150
90 day: 75.86 mpg (US)
Don't even think about it.

A good friend of mine owned a Sachs Madass. The worst bike he has ever owned. It suffers from bad engineering, assembly and sub par quality parts. In the rain the speedometer stops working. A seal on the kick start pops and leaks oil, common issue. Forums report bolts falling off, like the bolts on the wheel axels and swing arm.

Keep far far away from it..

Look at the Honda Grom. Check the forums. Even if you can't purchase one new, you can still purchase the engine with all the components to make it run, used on the forums. My friend replaced the Madass with the Grom, 3,000+ miles and no issues, all stock.

Keep looking.

Reply  Post New Thread