EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   ScanGauge II Upgrade (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scangauge-ii-upgrade-35499.html)

puddleglum 08-17-2017 01:44 AM

ScanGauge II Upgrade

I have an older SGII 2008 I think with 3.17? firmware version. I'm wondering if it is worth sending it in for upgrade. Does anyone know what all's been changed? Would it help the operation in a non hybrid car?

MetroMPG 08-17-2017 03:24 PM

Best thing to do is download the manual for the latest version - it'll show you the features that yours lacks. You can get the manual from scangauge.com.

The best available change in my opinion is getting the "EM" version of the firmware, which handles engine-off coasting better, if you do that:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-eoc-6545.html

puddleglum 08-17-2017 05:57 PM

Is that still available and is it still free? I saw the thread but it looked old. Is it a different upgrade that the normal one? I contacted the Canadian supplier and they will upgrade it to version 4.42 for $25 Canadian plus one way postage.

puddleglum 08-17-2017 09:37 PM

I double checked and it's actually version 3.15. Anyway, I read through that thread. I do seem to remember having that problem of not showing 9999 mpg ( 0 LHK) before I installed my kill switch. With the kill switch it works fine though. It takes a couple of seconds but it goes to 0 so that is not my issue. I am in Hybrid as well. I was more interested in the data logging (Does the EM update do data logging?) and wondering if the upgrade might help some other little annoyances that I've had since new.

One is the LOD reading in both cars I've used it on never reads very high. You guys talk about 80-90% LOD on the pulse. At WOT I've never seen more than 75- 80 in either car. Also, it is nearly impossible to keep calibrated accurately.
I'm wondering if that daily reset issue that some of you mentioned after the update resolved itself or do they take longer to reset now?
Thanks.

oldtamiyaphile 08-18-2017 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puddleglum (Post 547714)
At WOT I've never seen more than 75- 80 in either car. Also, it is nearly impossible to keep calibrated accurately.

OBD2 is a generic protocol. Not all sensors will report correctly. You should see the values I get in my Fiat! Load is basically a random number generator so I've taken to accelerating via ignition advance - even then -50 us about the sweet spot!

People put way too much stock into OBD2 consumption figures, particularly in city use. You really can't expect much better than +/-5%. That's the limitation of measuring air rather than fuel.

puddleglum 09-11-2017 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puddleglum (Post 547592)
I have an older SGII 2008 I think with 3.17? firmware version. I'm wondering if it is worth sending it in for upgrade. Does anyone know what all's been changed? Would it help the operation in a non hybrid car?

In case anyone is interested, I've been in contact with Linear Logic regarding upgrading my SG. Joey Snyder has been very helpful. The 4.13EM update is apparently not a part of the other upgrades but it does include the performance monitoring feature that the newest upgrade has.
He has offered to ship me a new circuit board for FREE that I can change out myself rather than make me ship my unit to Arizona and have to pay international shipping. I am really pleased. The Scangauge is expensive but it's nice to know thy provide excellent support.

puddleglum 10-13-2017 01:02 AM

Update: I received the circuit board for the SG about a week after they shipped it. I just installed it Monday as I have been waiting till I was close to wanting to fill up. The new board was very easy to install and instructions were clear.
So far I've noticed the same problem that was mentioned in the linked thread above, the daily average doesn't reset overnight like it used to. I had to leave my car at work today so I'll see if it resets tomorrow. Not sure why it would do that but it's not a huge deal. I did prefer to record my daily trip avg rather than the current ones.
The voltage gauge is more accurate than before and LOD feels like it's reading higher than before (purely subjective, might be my imagination). I never had the problem that others were having with showing fuel use in EOC so it seems nothing changed. I saw 0 L/100 km in EOC but it changed to 9999 L/100 km when stopped. It still does the same now (I thought it should read 0 even stopped). I'm still looking forward to playing with the performance monitor and see if it is helpful. So, as if now, the jury is still out as to whether the upgrade was worth it. The nice thing about the board is I can still go back if I decide I don't like the new version. I probably won't though.

CigaR007 10-16-2020 05:32 PM

My scangaugeII has a somewhat old version (3.17) and I was told by Linear Logic that they no longer offer the Ecomodder version 4.13EM. I have been told that the newest version 4.54 incorporates the ecomodder fixes.

I will be upgrading mine given that x-gauges for Honda/Acura hybrids require version 4.5 and up.