Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Scuderi Engine

What are ya'lls thoughts on this ???

Web site - Home | Scuderi Engine

Quote:
The SCUDERI™ Engine's innovative
split-cycle design drastically
Increases Power
and
Decreases Engine Size
while at the same time
Reducing Fuel
Consumption Rate.

Quote:
Key Features
•Scuderi-Cycle combustion process—fires after top dead center
•One combustion cycle per crankshaft revolution
•Heat release optimally phased with peak power location
•Fully variable intake and exhaust valves
•Outwardly opening Crossover Passage valves
•High geometric compression and expansion ratios

Independent laboratory results confirm that the Scuderi Engine has unusually fast and robust combustion; has a diesel like, flat torque curve; is highly knock resistant; produces less NOx than conventional internal combustion engines and is ideally suited for air hybridization.
Quote:
The Air-Hybrid System

Unlike electric hybrids that use recovered kinetic energy to charge high-voltage batteries, our Air-Hybrid system uses kinetic energy to charge an air storage tank.

Key Benefits
•Low cost and light weight—only requires an air storage tank and controls
•High power density
•Efficiently converts kinetic energy to high-pressure compressed air energy
•High speed charge and discharge of stored energy
Sounds interesting to me.

>

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Scam.

The Scuderi Group has been saying this for well over 10 years now, and have yet to deliver a vehicle that is propelled by this engine. It could be any vehicle. Even a vehicle like a go-kart.

Scuderi claims that their engine technology can easily be retrofitted to a normal engine. Okay, if this is so, then they should show us.

If some unknown 50+ year old engineer can spend 1200 hours and create a complete miniature V-12 that actually runs, surely a multimillion dollar group can come up with one working prototype engine that can push a vehicle forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
Ryland (06-10-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I thought they did have a working prototype? I saw a sectioned motor that was clearly a split-cycle Scuderi engine at their booth @ the DC auto show 2 years ago. Not a hacked together job, and also not a just-for show unit from what I could tell.

They have certainly been at this a long time, and I agree I haven't seen may real-world results. Only fancy animations, graphs, and presentations.

Quote:
What is happening now with the prototype?
Testing of the naturally aspirated, one-liter gasoline engine at Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, TX, continues to meet or exceed the initial computer simulations. A recent study modeled various Scuderi Split-Cycle engine designs in a vehicle computer model of a 2011 Nissan Sentra.

The Sentra model was simulated through a standardized Federal Test Procedure-75 (FTP-75) drive cycle for each SSC engine design. Preliminary results of the Study showed that up to a 25 percent decrease in fuel consumption (i.e., up to 33 percent increase in MPG) was achievable with an SSC engine replacing the Sentra’s engine when factoring in fuel cutoff during deceleration and idle in the model. Results also showed that up to 35 percent decrease in fuel consumption (i.e., up to 54 percent increase in MPG) was achievable when compared to the model Nissan Sentra using a stock engine without fuel cutoff.
Makes me wonder why they don't just PUT IT IN THE DAMN CAR. As my co-worker says: "Don't get caught in the paralysis of analysis"
Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Agreed. If the Scuderi Group managed to come up with a professional looking sectioned engine, they can also come up with an actual engine.

There's a YouTube video floating around here, showing what is purported to be a working Scuderi engine without a muffler. However, it's on a static test stand, and while the external moving parts are neat to watch, there's nothing to conclusively show one way or another that it actually generates its own power, let alone is capable of pushing a car.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Let me get this straight: Instead of 4 strokes it is 2+2 strokes, the intake and exhaust stroke pairs being divided between two cylinders. The only upside is what? A power stroke with every crankshaft revolution? Well, a 2-stroke engine has that, with much less pumping losses and internal friction.

This isn't the first company that has been spending investors' money on making animations and models which a college student could do in his free time.

At first glance this may look promising, but until some tangible evidence shows up it won't get out of the Unicorn Corral.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 04-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Last I knew they had several working prototypes running and being evaluated. They never publish BSFC numbers which is the true test of efficiency. I did speak with one of thier engineers at the SAE conference last year in Washington D.C. 296g/Kwh works out to about 28% efficiency. The Scuderi group is very good at raising money and getting patents on what I consider duplication of prior art. I think there is signs of investor remorse as I know a person who got thier money "cheerfully" refunded rather than litigating in court.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
http://www.scuderigroup.com/assets/D...eet0510123.pdf

Now there is few charts which say at best 233 g/kWh. I would say interesting consept that could work. Specially that air pressure capture system was something that I had through about before saw that system.

I do agree that they need to prove their claims. Make a mule car witht their engine and let the press test drive it and test the fuel efficiency levels. You could make that kind of engine pretty easily iy you have the money what they do have.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Old 06-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
You could make that kind of engine pretty easily iy you have the money what they do have.
Or "did" have. It would be interesting to see how well they've been compensating themselves.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

This motorcycle engine work about the same, I like the air tank to have a supply of high pressure air.
Ducati V-One – Twin to Supercharged Single Conversion
On the comments section, some people response with a link for the Z-engine who use almost the same principle. It look like many people are working on this, but with very little result when it's question of daily use.

Le_KiD_Qc
French guy doing is best in English
Old 03-11-2013, 03:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
This strikes me as pretty mild for a re-imagining of the internal combustion engine. Ponder this:

I just discovered the Scuderi design, and found the thread through the forum search.

I view everything through the prism of "how would it work with a Volkswagen boxer 4". This looks pretty doable to me:
  • paired cylinders? check.
  • unequal size cylinders? no problem. Separate 'jugs'.
  • connect the two cylinders? choose between the single port and dual port head.

The single port intake would be adequate to accommodate the air hybrid feature, but if better breathing is needed for an intercooler, the dual port head is more available.

Two exhaust ports would become the new intakes. The hardest problem I see is positioning the turbo since the intake and exhaust are at opposite ends of the engine, but it's no worse than a cross-flow head, I guess.

The biggest problem to solve would be the custom ~20° offset crankshaft in billet steel.

I could post about this over at thesamba.com, but I'll let everyone tell me how wrong I am before I do.

Reply  Post New Thread