Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Sedan boattail

Obviously I own a Sentra. I have been thinking about doing a boattail on the trunk, but am curious how much of an improvement that would make on a small sedan.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
There's a Tempo on here with a Kammback.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
How big of a boattail? If you do it correctly it'll have to come off the top edge of the rear window unless you already have a kammback to build off of.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I had never thought of trying a kammback on the car. I was debating on extending the back of the car about a foot and a half and narrowing the sides of the car. I messed up the deck lid while trying to reweld the top, and forgot to cover the back glass, so there is a lot to fix. The rear quarterpanel was dented when I bought the car and the back bumper is shot. Thus the time to try something custom. On to road legalities, is there anything illegal about testing something like this while blocking the back window? Also, how would a partial kammback and a boat tail work out? Might be time to do some testing
Old 02-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentraguy View Post
On to road legalities, is there anything illegal about testing something like this while blocking the back window?
Maybe. Do the online research. Here are two sites I quickly found:

North Carolina Traffic Laws - FindLaw
North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 20 Motor Vehicles - Legal Research

But take Frank Lee's advice and check out the Tempo Kammback thread first:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post276457

It's informative. He did the testing you are considering, IIRC.... seriously, don't miss it.

I'll be following you with interest... every now and then I get the Kammback daydream bug again... but I still have too many half completed mods needing cosmetic work before I try another.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentraguy View Post
I had never thought of trying a kammback on the car. I was debating on extending the back of the car about a foot and a half and narrowing the sides of the car. I messed up the deck lid while trying to reweld the top, and forgot to cover the back glass, so there is a lot to fix. The rear quarterpanel was dented when I bought the car and the back bumper is shot. Thus the time to try something custom. On to road legalities, is there anything illegal about testing something like this while blocking the back window? Also, how would a partial kammback and a boat tail work out? Might be time to do some testing
Hucho and his team streamlined the Jetta notchback by boat-tailing from the rear wheel centerline,back to the trailing edge,losing 125mm from each side.Cd dropped from around o.425,to 0.375.About 12% drag reduction ( 6% mpg @ 55 mph).
If you did a corresponding roof extension,you'd see greater reduction.
The Sentra should already have some side body camber.You could just pick up from where Nissan left off,gently curving in as you move aft.
If you can find a Mercedes Benz 190 from the 1980s,it would serve as a wind tunnel tested example of a proper notchback boat tail,as is mentioned by Hucho.I saw one yesterday here in Denton.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The Sentra should already have some side body camber.You could just pick up from where Nissan left off,gently curving in as you move aft.
If you can find a Mercedes Benz 190 from the 1980s,it would serve as a wind tunnel tested example of a proper notchback boat tail,as is mentioned by Hucho.I saw one yesterday here in Denton.
Like this?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Yeah, the Sentra boattail has been eating at me for a while. I am wanting to fix the car up, but there is so much wrong with the body. I'm gonna look at making a semi temporary one from cloroplast and thin plexi, so I can tweak it until I am happy. I am thinking about just completely redoing the back end from scratch. I will have to see what I can dream up. Now to find the time and money in the same spot at the same time. Would I do better trying a partial kammback or just go ahead and test the full? I am leaning toward the full.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Okay, just reviewed the Tempo Kammback writeup, was there ever a follow up to thishttp://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ford-tempo-kammback-19904-3.html Definately going with the bumper removal and redesign. I have been playing with designs all day on napkins, I am thinking about tapering the kammback a good bit and slightly tapering the car sides, about eight inches or so. The bumper will come off and it will gently taper down to the back axle. The underside of the Sentra is a pan already, so I don't know if it will make a huge difference to put the full "pan" on. I will do a partial on the front and back. Smoothing the rear bumper up to the end of the car should help seperation as well right?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I am waiting for time to do the kammback, but I have done the wheel skirts I have been planning for some time (motivated by $3.61 per gallon gas). Anyway, I have been playing around with the photo editor, and let me know what ya'll think of this.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sentra Kammback Idea.gif
Views:	57
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	10283  
Reply  Post New Thread