Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Buggie - '01 Vw Beetle TDI Gls
Variable valve train

I have spent way too much time driving and watching the scangauge, I posted previously that my car likes throttle position at 23 units.

Today I had an idea while driving, maybe you guys can help me out; cruising at 70mph I get the same instant mpg as 60, this is over thousands of miles and yes 55 is way better, but bare with me. At one pointing in the rpm range the oil pressure increases and the variable valve train goes to work to give more lift or lo get lift I have no idea. When that happens more air enters the engine, so it would work harder which would mean decreased throttle for more manifold vacuum

So which is better, more lift and less throttle or less lift and more throttle?

If changing valve train geometry is important, would changing to thinner or thicker oil benefit to change oil pressure

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I don't know you well enough to get bare.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Mustang Dave (05-18-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The variable valve switching isn't because the oil pressure changes. The ECU determines when the variable switching should occur and then uses oil pressure, via solenoid actuated valve, to perform the switching.

Can't you get the answer to the question from the Scangauge?

Changing oil viscosity won't alter the switching point. At worst it would only alter the speed of the actuation. That's of no real consequence.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Dakota - '99 Dodge Dakota R/T
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

The Honda - '88 Honda CRX DX
90 day: 47.43 mpg (US)
In your system, is it giving you more lift, duration, or both? Some VVT systems may also only affect camshaft advance. Perhaps, when your VVT switches over, it's going to a cam profile/timing that promotes volumetric efficiency at substantially higher RPM/throttle than you're giving it. That would mean that, because the charge in your intake system doesn't have the ramming inertia to keep filling the cylinder when the intake valve closes after BDC, it's acting more like an "Atkinson" than it was at the mild profile. If you think about it, the cam timing that Toyota calls "Atkinson" in the Prius, sounds a lot like what they use in, say, pro-stock, where they use the long duration and late closure to trap more charge at high RPM. Your engine may be trying to give you power but accidentally giving you economy in this way.

Reply  Post New Thread