Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rodney - '00 Plymouth Neon Base
90 day: 33.05 mpg (US)

Tojo - '99 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.99 mpg (US)
Bit the Bullet, still a question, need input? (Got a set of Bridgestone B381 LRR's)

Well,
I just bought a set of 185-70-14 Bridgestone B381's. Found them reasonably priced (relatively speaking) at $100.46 per tire. My questions are

1 )I have read that New LRR tires will get worse fuel economy than broke in tires even non lrr, so how long for a new tire to "break in"

2) Does anyone have exprience with these? Everything I have been able to find shows them as the LOWEST RRC of any tire, and some reviews showing 60,000 miles out of them.

3) I went from VERY old dry rotted tiger paws, is it possible that old hard rubber will actually have as low of an RRC as these new tires once broke in?

4) Do you guys think I made a wise choice?

Any input and feed back, positive or negative would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
Ottis

Goal is 47 MPG

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
I hope I can provide my own personal experience...

The only time I have heard about breaking in tires is with motorcycles. That is because new tires come with a coating on them that could make it slick if you push the tire a lot on a ride. I would imagine the same would be for a car tire.

As for the rolling resistance thing... Yes as tires age the rolling resistance does decrease. Here is an article about that...
Tire Tech Information - Tire Rolling Resistance Part 3: Changes to Expect When Switching from Worn-Out to New Tires

The dry rot tiger paw tires were dangerous. The best thing you could have done for your own safety and the safety of others around you was to get some fresh rubber.

as for tire choice? Here is a thread
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...res-12918.html

Project Avalon: E bike build
Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rodney - '00 Plymouth Neon Base
90 day: 33.05 mpg (US)

Tojo - '99 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.99 mpg (US)
Thanks for the iput. I had read this post during my research phase, but I had read so much it slipped my mind. I went and reviewd his fuel logs. Did some math from the date he put the tires on, excluding the tank he was in the middle of and have deternined CRAP, I probably could have bought some less expensive tires and been money ahead. Oh well, I will see what happens, probably compare this to some michelin defenders and end up irritating myself. Anyway, I will see what I can get out of these now that I am a decent chunk of a paycheck deep in them.

As a side note, I thought that these were discontinued, but Sears ordered them straight frin bridgestone??

Goal is 47 MPG

Reply  Post New Thread