Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Side Video Mirrors - When Will They Be USED?

We will see a rear view video mirror (optionally by the driver) on the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV:

It will have an 80 degree view, and the display is built into the rear view optical mirror.

But when will we see side view video mirrors on production vehicles? Will Japan have them first? Here's an interesting article on Green Car Reports that discusses this:

Japan may beat U.S. to allowing camera-based side mirrors

Here's my post on that thread:

Quote:
I drove for over 5 years with side video mirrors, and overall they are a big improvement over optical mirrors. I am fairly certain that the drawbacks I experienced would be largely reduced if not totally eliminated with better quality cameras and monitors; and fully engineered integration.

I used inexpensive backup cameras, that had overly wide view angles - I had a massive field of view, with no blind spots - which is good. The main downside was barrel distortion, which compressed the depth of view - the farther things were away from me, the harder it was to gauge how far away it was.

I was however, able to see large vehicles behind me in BOTH side view video mirrors; in addition to in the conventional rear view optical mirror. And I could see the rear bumper of any vehicle <b>that was even with my shoulders</b>.

I had NO BLIND SPOTS.

With about 80-100 degrees of view (instead of 140-170 degrees of the various cameras I tried), and with better lenses - I think the barrel distortion could be minimized. Combined with an 80 degree rear view video mirror - like the one in the upcoming Chevy Bolt EV - we can have total coverage of the back and sides of the vehicle.

IF all three monitors were in ONE location, then one glance would let the driver see everything at once.

On a foggy and rainy day, video mirrors have a HUGE advantage of clarity. With side view optical mirrors, there are multiple layers of water drops and misting that prevent you from seeing things. Combine this with headlights, and some situations make optical mirrors virtually useless.

Two more advantages of video mirrors: no blinding headlights, and no adjustments needed for different drivers.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-11-2016), BamZipPow (07-11-2016), niky (07-12-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-14-2016, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grand Imperial Poobah

I had rear view cameras and monitors on the last truck (the BulletTruck) in addition to DOT legal mirrors. The cameras were not really "waterproof" as the manufacturer claimed, as one completely flooded in a hell of a rain storm in Virginia. Good thing I had a spare.

I am currently working with a very large automotive Tier 1 vendor for some upgraded cameras. They claim to be IP6K9 ingress protection. And I believe them.

Petition for Temporary Exemption from Certain Provisions of FMVSS No. 111; Rearview Mirrors.

I applied to the feds (the Administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) for a very unique camera in lieu of mirrors exemption about 3 months ago. I know they received the request because I sent it Priority Mail with a tracking number. They are supposed to reply with an acknowledgement of receipt within 30 days. I have not heard a peep from them. Our tax dollars at work.

http://www.airflowtruck.com

Last edited by Shepherd777; 07-14-2016 at 02:00 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shepherd777 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-15-2016), NeilBlanchard (07-15-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread