Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I don't think this is the video because it doesn't have additional data in the description, but I like it because it shows the truck under construction and good views of it turning.

You get to work with Luigi Colani?

In my browser, the crummy vBulletin software turns my perfectly cromulent link into a box that says I need to install a plug-in. (Ugh!) Can anyone else see a video? Here it is obfuscated: YouTube/watch?v=ewbWxRK5DPU
No, that is the exact copy of our video without the explanation. The right version was posted by the "TUM Youtube Channel" and has an earlier date and more views.

I met Mr. Colani a couple of times on project meetings and events, but we are not working together.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I'll second on that. Individual hydraulic rotors with a kind of a CVT for each wheel would be a good way to manage the traction in response to terrain variations.
Unfortunately, in-wheel motors are not the focus of this project, and will not be added anytime soon.
One of the reasons is that there are plenty of other active research projects with in-wheel motors in this region.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

chrisgerman1983 - '96 chevrolet astro
90 day: 14.02 mpg (US)
Very cool test vehicle! Was aero a major focus on this? Just wondering why so little attention was paid to the rear of the vehicle?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmercep View Post
Unfortunately, in-wheel motors are not the focus of this project, and will not be added anytime soon.
One of the reasons is that there are plenty of other active research projects with in-wheel motors in this region.
I didn't say motor, I said ROTOR. Have you never seen those Yamaha YZ-426F 2-Trac, WR-450 2-Trac and TT-600R 2-Trac which had a hydraulic rotor at the front wheel hub driven by a PTO in the gearbox? In a truck, a similar setup could lead to an optimization of the driveline positioning, which could decrease its weight and allowing improvements to the mass centralization.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I didn't say motor, I said ROTOR. Have you never seen those Yamaha YZ-426F 2-Trac, WR-450 2-Trac and TT-600R 2-Trac which had a hydraulic rotor at the front wheel hub driven by a PTO in the gearbox? In a truck, a similar setup could lead to an optimization of the driveline positioning, which could decrease its weight and allowing improvements to the mass centralization.
I've got to admit I'm out of my league here, since my work is concerning HMI and driver assistance electronics.
I'll let the question slip into the meeting with our mechanical engineer next week.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgerman1983 View Post
Very cool test vehicle! Was aero a major focus on this? Just wondering why so little attention was paid to the rear of the vehicle?
Aero was not the major focus of our team (under Prof. Spiegelberg).
We are doing the engineering, electronics and software.
The aero came from Prof. Lugi Colani and it was not implemented 100% as envisioned with the original 1:1 mock-up, since it would make the actual vehicle production quite difficult.

Reply  Post New Thread