EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Simple question: 2003 Toyota Echo or 2003 Civic (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/simple-question-2003-toyota-echo-2003-civic-27256.html)

starcr0ss3r 10-13-2013 09:38 AM

Simple question: 2003 Toyota Echo or 2003 Civic

If you had your choice of a car to eco-mod, which would it be: a 2003 Toyota Echo Sedan w/automatic transmission or a 2003 Honda Civic Sedan with a manual transmission? (Looking, of course, at overall fuel efficiency as the goal, here.)

UltArc 10-13-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starcr0ss3r (Post 395268)
If you had your choice of a car to eco-mod, which would it be a 2003 Toyota Echo Sedan w/AT or a 2003 Honda Civic Sedan with MT? (Looking, of course, at overall fuel efficiency as the goal, here.)

Those Echo's are pretty impressive fuel economy wise, but don't look nearly as cool as the name hypes...lol.

Honda Civic w/ a five speed would be my choice only because of transmission (not that there's anything wrong with it, just an Echo standard would beat it in my opinion). Paying attention, and being moderately careful, one should always be able to keep highway MPG in a standard*.

Save rare occasions like NYC driving, terrible snow storms, so on.

mort 10-13-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starcr0ss3r (Post 395268)
If you had your choice of a car to eco-mod, which would it be: a 2003 Toyota Echo Sedan w/automatic transmission or a 2003 Honda Civic Sedan with a manual transmission? (Looking, of course, at overall fuel efficiency as the goal, here.)

Hi starcr0ss,
The automatic will lose a small amount of efficiency compared to the manual. But the Echo curb weight is listed at 2035 lbs and the Civic is 2403 lbs. I think the weight difference more than makes up for the automatic. EPA: Echo 31 Civic 30 (combined)
The Echo is smaller than the Civic so if you make mods to reduce cda you'll be ahead as far as wind drag too. I'd take the Echo, I see it as a better starting point.
-mort

War_Wagon 10-13-2013 02:12 PM

The weight difference would have more of an effect with a lot of stop and go driving than highway driving. Once it's rolling, the weight doesn't matter as much. I personally would go with the Civic 5 speed because of the manual transmission. You can tailor your driving style to suit your needs easier. The manual allows for more adjustment of "the nut behind the wheel". :snail:

E.Roy 10-13-2013 07:19 PM

I'd definitely go with the Civic and manual Trans.

Reasons:
1) I like Toyotas but the Civic is a larger more attractive car but can get about the same FE
2) Manual Trans is better if your serious about FE because an auto doesn't up shift or lockup the torque converter soon enough for max FE . I have read on here and it's my experience that low rpm high throttle opening is a more efficient way to accelerate
3) resale value

echo-francis 10-13-2013 10:42 PM

go with the manual civic or try to find a manual toyota echo;)

SentraSE-R 10-14-2013 01:33 AM

Either one, but equipped with a manual transmission. Automatics will lose 10-20 mpg to a manual under a wide range of conditions.

starcr0ss3r 10-14-2013 02:05 AM

I appreciate the advice, guys. I'm going to make certain that I go with a manual transmission.

:turtle: