Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModder Blog Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
Great write up, I enjoyed reading that. I like how you put it all into perspective, size =/= safety and the additional risks associated with speed.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Good read, thank you for posting.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Quote:
exponentially
There should be a $100 fine for that. (No i don't care about his exuses)

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Old 12-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Some people value time. Doing 55 or 65 vs 75 while on a significant trip equates to dozens of minutes or halves of hours or more. Your welcome to crawl along at your own pace, though. Time is one thing you can never get back in life.

Also "Of course, going even one mile per hour over the posted speed limit is a crime. This is not an opinion, nor is it open to interpretation." -this is false.

California:
Speed Law Violations

22351. (a) The speed of any vehicle upon a highway not in excess of the limits specified in Section 22352 or established as authorized in this code is lawful unless clearly proved to be in violation of the basic speed law.

(b) The speed of any vehicle upon a highway in excess of the prima facie speed limits in Section 22352 or established as authorized in this code is prima facie unlawful unless the defendant establishes by competent evidence that the speed in excess of said limits did not constitute a violation of the basic speed law at the time, place and under the conditions then existing.

You can exceed the posted limit and not be in violation. Per the same, though, you could be driving at the posted limit in rain/fog/blizzard and be in violation of speeding. Common sense is required.

Driving efficiently is fine - taking it to a whole religious style belief system is beyond me. The article is preaching and as such you will find believers and non-believers. I'm in the latter.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Reasonable and Prudent
Quote:
...nor is it open to interpretation." -this is false.
This is only true for California and other Basic Rule, as opposed to Absolute Rule states. I can't be bothered to find a list, but a scan of Google's first page adds Oregon, Michigan and Nevada.

Speed limits in the United States - Wikipedia adds Texas and Rhode Island, and states:
Quote:
Prima facie -- Most states have absolute speed limits, meaning that a speed in excess of the limit is illegal per se. However, some states have prima facie speed limits.[73] This allows motorists to defend against a speeding charge if it can be proven that the speed was in fact reasonable and prudent.
Maybe some of our non-USofAian posters can expand on the subject.

The Basic Rule cuts both ways, blocking us from saving too much gas.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
radioranger

I wonder why they even allow cars to be built which can exceed the limit, kind of a false freedom we've all been tricked into believing , speeding isn't freedom , and personally when you think of all the safety features built into cars it's surprising they haven't worked on it more. of course you could argue that it gives you more time , but the average trip of say a few miles it more likely takes it away in terms of cost and danger to yourself and others. The world is full of people who dont manage their time properly and think that a bit more speed will solve it, my trick is to leave early and try to enjoy the ride, hey it's costing me a lot . so why not enjoy it and view the scenery is my idea, save gas and less dangerous to boot. I think some insurance companies are working on this idea already . discounting people whose cars have recorders
Old 12-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I wonder why they even allow cars to be built which can exceed the limit...
...my trick is to leave early and try to enjoy the ride, hey it's costing me a lot . so why not enjoy it and view the scenery is my idea, save gas and less dangerous to boot...
...I think some insurance companies are working on this idea already . discounting people whose cars have recorders
I wonder why they even allow cars to be built which can drive off-pavement.

I can do that as passenger. When I'm driver, my attention circulates from the forward horizon to the rear view mirror and (to a lesser extent) the dashboard.

Google is the one working on the real solution——self driving cars. No more stop lights, every intersection will be like a circle eight race.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The red one - '00 Ford Zx2
Team ZX2
90 day: 37.98 mpg (US)
I really wish more people would read this. It's so often that i overhear people complain about gas prices but then continue driving 80 mph down the freeway honking at anybody not following suit. The safety part also gets to me, here in California i constantly see large suv's and full size trucks being driven by soccer moms who claim that a more efficient sedan is too unsafe.

People here seem to share the mentality that a car needs sub-9 second 0-60 times, making small, efficient cars either not enter the market or be phased out because they aren't "zippy" like people seem to expect all small cars to be. Sorry for the rant, this annoys me.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
radioranger

personally I blame the car magazines, every car is too slow to them , if it's got huge power , then it doesn't brake good enough , or a car will be the best one ever, only to become two years later , not so good, same mentality as the regular news always got to be stirring the mud, then overlook the real stuff people want to , or should know. very true about four wheel drive in cars, almost nobody needs it, just buy four studded snows and front or rear wheel drive is so much better, course funny thing is most four wheel drive cars are running around with nearly bald tires, seen lots of em in the shopping center. then crash city , and of course you can afford an I phone, but not tires.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfstar View Post

Also "Of course, going even one mile per hour over the posted speed limit is a crime. This is not an opinion, nor is it open to interpretation." -this is false.

California:
Speed Law Violations

22351. (a) The speed of any vehicle upon a highway not in excess of the limits specified in Section 22352 or established as authorized in this code is lawful unless clearly proved to be in violation of the basic speed law.

(b) The speed of any vehicle upon a highway in excess of the prima facie speed limits in Section 22352 or established as authorized in this code is prima facie unlawful unless the defendant establishes by competent evidence that the speed in excess of said limits did not constitute a violation of the basic speed law at the time, place and under the conditions then existing.

You can exceed the posted limit and not be in violation. Per the same, though, you could be driving at the posted limit in rain/fog/blizzard and be in violation of speeding. Common sense is required.
It does not say "in excess of posted speed limit". It says "in excess of the prima facie speed limits in Section 22352"
In order to interpert it, you have to actually read section 22352:
V C Section 22352 Prima Facie Speed Limits

Its referring to times you can exceed 15 or 25 mph in alleys, railroad crossings, school zones, etc. Nothing in what you quoted indicates any circumstance in which you can legally exceed POSTED speed limits in CA, only the prima facie speed limits spelled out in Section 22352 (which, barring proof of complying with the basic speed law of safety) applies whether signs are posted or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to JacobAziza For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-01-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread