Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Smelly rainwater

My Mom got two rainwater barrels last year, and when it got warm a few weeks ago they started to STINK! Since I recently installed a barrel a my place last weekend, this is a problem I'd like to see solved.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of the smell? I've read about putting chlorine bleach or copper into the tank, killing any microorganisms, but these treatments don't do any good to plants (our rainwater is only for garden watering).

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

What is the smell?
Is it the material the tanks are made from (plastic) or from the contents held their earlier?

Activated charcoal may help remove the smell and improve the water quality BUT it is limited and may not remove some chemical residue.

It may be the water is simply stagnant from sitting unused.

Pete.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Perhaps if you wait a bit, the barrel will develop a stable ecosystem and purify itself. New aquariums are typically a mess for a few weeks, whatever one does, and then "snap" and clear up.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
PaleMelanesian's Disciple

City - '04 Honda City iDSI EXi
90 day: 47.47 mpg (US)
Probably you should hold your complaints and preferences till the plants start complaining... I mean if the plants take to that rainwater ok, you have no reason to even think about it. (Maybe just some inconvenience when watering the plants, that's all).

Don't put all sort of vile stuff to 'kill micro organisms'. You will needlessly poison your own ecosystem.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

I'm not sure exactly what the smell is, since this is at my Mom's place (in NC), while our barrel is only a week old, so no smell. My Mom installed her tanks new last August or September, and only a few weeks ago did they start to smell. It probably is stagnant water and maybe something is growing in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Don't put all sort of vile stuff to 'kill micro organisms'. You will needlessly poison your own ecosystem.
I totally agree with you, that's why I'm looking for alternatives. I personally could live with some smell, but other people might not be too happy about it.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
The saying goes "Use it or lose it". Maybe it just needs to be used more often.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sounds very much like some stagnant water or perhaps some sort of bacteria or algal growth since temperature plays a part.

Perhaps using it as quickly as possible then letting it refill with fresh water may be the solution?

I agree using chemicals is a last resort especially if there are vegetable in the garden along with flowers.

Pete.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

So I guess draining the tank just before a storm would be a good idea.
What about ultraviolet? Would dropping a UV lamp every now and then get rid of whatever is causing the smell?

Old 05-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
I think if someone is aware enough of the environmental benefits of catching rain water, they should also be aware (and unoffended by) the wonderful (and not so wonderful) smells of nature - that is, if this smell is a biotic smell and not the smell of the tank material. If anything, the plants you water will like the added nutrients of the algae or whatever is in there better than just plain jane rainwater. IF it is actually stinking up the whole house and surrounding area (which I can't imagine is the case), then I would find some use for ALL of the current water, and use some baking soda and vinegar to clean out the sides and bottom of the tank. That will shut down ANY smell. You could also choose to use citrasolv, or a strictly citrus oil based solvent to clean up the inside of the tank, but I really think the baking soda and vinegar will do the trick, be cheaper, and won't harm anything you use the water for after rinsing the tank out.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
6'8" Comfor and Safty

Odd, my grandmother has been using rain barrels for years, and never noticed a smell except for when a squirrel fell in, drowned, and was not discovered until later. (PU)

What was the barrels used for before converting into rain barrels? My Grandmother only uses spent food grade plastic barrels.

If cleaning the barrels are not an option, then poor some bleach in. This is two fold. One to kill the green matter, and the other is to kill the misqito larva. Syhe has never noticed any nasty effects on her plants. (Roses, Hardwood honey suckle, azaleas, Japaneses Red Maple, and vegetable garden)

If the top of your Mom's house is in the shade, and has shingles, she could have an algae infestation that could be causing the problem. (According to my Grandmother.)

Reply  Post New Thread