Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2017 Honda Civic LX - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.92 mpg (US)
3M Do-It Yourself Fuel System Tune Up Kit

Anybody ever use one of these 3-part engine cleaners which are supposed to remove carbon from inside the engine? I had it done at a Valvoline Oil Change place a few years ago, and a crap-load of smoke came out of my car when they were doing it. It was supposed to be the carbon being removed. I found some DIY kits online. Do these actually work and improve performance, or are they all smoke and mirrors...or more smoke? If they work, does anyone have recommendations for a good one, or are they all similar? My car currently has about 184,000 miles on it, and my mileage isn't as good as it was a couple years ago. I did a basic tuneup (plugs, cap, rotor, air filter), but not a big difference. Have used fuel-injector cleaner stuff. Mileage still down.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TUNDRA - '04 TOYOTA TUNDRA SR5

ML320 - '99 Mercedes ML320 SUV

XTerra - '00 Nissan XTerra SE

Camry - '12 TOYOTA Camry LE
Use Seafoam, you can get this from Autopart Store. Direction should be on the can.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I have been reading different stuff about the Seafoam. Does it work well? Some places say 1/3 can into the fuel, 1/3 into the vaccuum line, and 1/3 into the crankcase. Others say full can into the fuel, 1/2 can into the crankcase and 1/2 can into the vaccuum line. I normally get my oil change at the dealer. So I can just add the Seafoam to the oil maybe a day before my scheduled oil change, and should be okay? Do all these need to be done at the same time? Or can I dump a can of Seafoam into the fuel tonight, and intot he crank case on Friday (with my oil change scheduled on Saturday morning), and maybe do the vaccuum line stuff Saturday afternoon?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Okay, I bought two cans of Seafoam. I ran half a can through the brake assist vacuum line, and poured a full can into the gas tank. I will add the other half a can of Seafoam to the oil on Friday, and am getting my oil changed on Saturday and should have some miles with the stuff in the oil. Hopefully it works to improve my gas mileage and and make the engine run smoother.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I've had good luck with Sea Foam as well, I have not used any of the 3M fuel system cleaner nor have I even seen it for sale any where.
I think the idea behind putting sea foam in all parts of your engine at once is that you eliminate the risk of just moving the gunk from one place to another, that any crud that blows past the rings stays suspended when it gets to the oil and any crud that comes out of the PCV valve gets cleaned away as it's sucked in to the intake and hopefully burned up.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I put the Seafoam into the brake assist vacuum line. Does anyone know if this feeds all of the cylinders on my 2000 Honda Civic VP (dx engine)?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
The vacuum assist line will disperse the seafoam to all your cylinders on your car, but for future reference, seafoam does have a spray style specifically for use in the intake system: SeaFoam Spray

I've personally seen it becoming a normal stocking item at all the local parts store here in MN. And if something is commonplace in the midwest, it should be stocked elsewhere with regularity.

I have always had a pressurized spray bottle that I used to dispense the Seafoam in the past, but now with the new style spray will no longer need to do that.

Hope this info helps out

It is also a good idea to get a small rag wet with seafoam and to wipe off any buildup on the throttle body plate and surrounding ares in the intake manifold if you use the vacuum line method with the seafoam. That way you get all the gunk out of the intake manifold.

The Following User Says Thank You to TomO For This Useful Post:
rjacob (03-24-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I checked the local Auto Zone, and they didn't have the Seafoam Spray. I looked online and Advance Auto Parts seems to stock it. I will pick up a bottle. Looking at the how to video they have, you only use half a bottle. So I may try it only wife's car (also a 2000 Civic VP), and maybe try a second application on my own car to see if I still get a lot of smoke.
Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to rjacob For This Useful Post:
TomO (03-24-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
My intake is covered internally with oily soot and i want to remove it. Thing is, the intake manifold is part of the head so removing it would mean removing the head. I hear you guys talking about seafoam but i'm guessing it is mainly for gasoline engines. With diesel engines ths soot is much heavier and i'm afraid of some larger lumps of soot falling into the engine and causing problems. I believe there is a version of seafoam to go in the oil but i have a sneaking suspicion it won't do much in the intake manifold. The spray may be the one to use.
What do you guys think? Is it safe to use on a diesel engine?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacob View Post
Okay, I bought two cans of Seafoam. I ran half a can through the brake assist vacuum line, and poured a full can into the gas tank. I will add the other half a can of Seafoam to the oil on Friday, and am getting my oil changed on Saturday and should have some miles with the stuff in the oil. Hopefully it works to improve my gas mileage and and make the engine run smoother.
hopefully it works, i've been looking for something easy to use for my Jeep, if it works for you i'll likely try it out

Reply  Post New Thread