Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #131 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
The world would probably be a better place if most every conversation I have ever heard on a cell never occured. The useless cesspool of ignorance conveyed in 99% of cell conversations would be no loss to anyone including those on the phone.
I don't even care if something useful IS being discussed (although I agree with you that it is doubtful). Drivers have to make a choice: what is more important, the conversation or the commute? If the former wins, pull over and finish talking. Otherwise, you have to wait.

I feel that many people lack the ability to accept even mild inconveniences, and this theme is being reinforced because not enough people know how to just say 'NO' to a bad idea. What, are they afraid that a strong stance against cell phone use just might hurt someone's feelings?

The Following User Says Thank You to Kodak For This Useful Post:
rmay635703 (03-14-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #132 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

American - '06 Ford Ranger STX
90 day: 27.05 mpg (US)
Frank, I guess to sum up what I have been trying to say is that AAA takes all the data from the manufacturers and various engineers and recognizes that alot of people will be attempting some techniques that when not properly understood can end in a bad result. Like a kid filling his dads cadilac's tires by the way they look. The kid doesn't know better, but If he was educated he would get it. People who don't know how to hypermile are like people who add coolant to the washer fluid bottle.
My examples were to show little things combined can add up to something larger.
My explanations can be meek for small cars and even light trucks, but in contrast the extreme conditions of racing, from Dakar, rally, drifting, track, to NASCAR and Funny cars on a 1/4 mile these things are taken seriously and end up applied to "race" or "track" proven stuff applied to everyday cars.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #133 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
In the case of severely underinflating tires to 28PSI, yes a mistake to the south of that mark could definately claim their life and furthermore why would you want to be only 9 PSI above the 75mph blowout mark?
I know each tire is different from goodyears to continentals to Michelin. The 28 psi adjustment is only applied to my vehicle.
The 9 psi difference is still about 47% above the mark.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #134 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
Technically it could be a possibility, but if it was true then going from 45mph to 47mph or something would lead to the same risks/results.
Yes, exactly... slightly increasing the vehicle speed (and therefore rotational speed) will have the same effect on rotational inertia as slightly increasing the diameter... I do hope that the Ford engineers designed the brakes to handle slowing down that Ranger from it's top speed (what is it, something like 75mph if it's going full throttle down hill with a tail wind?) without the rotors turning into the consistency of melted cheese...
Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #135 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
Yes, exactly... slightly increasing the vehicle speed (and therefore rotational speed) will have the same effect on rotational inertia as slightly increasing the diameter...
Apply that to my old 4 door bronco, my c-350 by centurion. With only a driver seat, gauges and the steering wheel not removed from the steering wheel it weighed 6644 bls at weigh in.

"I do hope that the Ford engineers designed the brakes to handle slowing down that Ranger from it's top speed (what is it, something like 75mph if it's going full throttle down hill with a tail wind?) without the rotors turning into the consistency of melted cheese..."
Top stock speed is 95 mph. Pretty sure all ford trucks within the last decade are speed limited like that. With the Cortex tuner from Superchips my truck will go over 120 but the needle will bottom out and I dont want to break any of the gears or burn out the tiny little motor that drives my gauge.
The rotors heat up along with the pads more when they have about 1/3 life left and will start to smell like gouda cheese going down a steep windy hill. Like the hill I traveled every day 17 a from greenwood lake ny to tuxedo ny to Mahwah nj.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:07 AM   #136 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It's a simple answer for me about this.

I consider insurance companies illegal,predatory, worthless, and pointless. It's a pure graft forced on a unsuspecting public (much like car registration, drivers license, etc is) None of the stuff I mentioned guarantees a safe driver, period. It just means more profit for a corporation/government.

Think i'm off my rocker? Ask yourself this:

If you die tomorrow in a car accident, do you think the government/insurance company cares when more people are born every second/minute/hour/day/month/year who are forced to pay up for their graft? You die, and probably 10,000 people behind you are turning legal age to drive....

The answer is easy to figure out!

Reply  Post New Thread