Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 01:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
LostCause -

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
I think the argument against cell phones is poorly thought out.

I've heard people argue that our upcoming "hands free" law needs to be expanded to "cellphone free." Keeping your hands on the steering wheel makes sense. Keeping people from having telephone conversations is ridiculous.

- LostCause
I'll disagree with that one. My brain does lose "attention" when I am talking on the cellphone (with cheesy headset). When I am more self-aware, I deliberately increase my driving attention while talking. If the conversation involves an emergency, my attention can go down the tubes.

It's like when people say "don't get in the car when you're angry". You're state of mind can effect your driving.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
They will never be able to ban cell phone from use in cars because of how dependent we have become to them. A handsfree law would be as good as it can get, especially now with people text messaging while driving, it is only going to get worse, meaning, more and more distractions in the vehicle. Besides, I cannot imagine police in densly populated areas, monitoring people on cell phones, let alone ticketing them.

Best case scenario, police agencies carry cell jammers in their cars disabling cell phone for x radius around a police car ... that would be funny.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 06-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

NewBlue - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 38.13 mpg (US)

The Better Half - '97 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 25.84 mpg (US)
I think they should carry portable spectrum analyzers and directional antenna's then any car with a cell phone transmitting would be pulled over.
Starting point 30mpg ready...... GO.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

LR3 - '06 Land Rover LR3 HSE
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue07CivicEX View Post
I think they should carry portable spectrum analyzers and directional antenna's then any car with a cell phone transmitting would be pulled over.
Not effective enough. We need cameras and microphones in vehicles to assure complete compliance. There shouldn't be conversations with passengers, radio tuning, cd changing, etc.

Perhaps sensors could be built into the steering wheel such that failure to have two hands on the wheel would signal the authorities who would then pull the offender over and issue a citation for reckless driving.

Or maybe just impound and sell the vehicle to pay for the monitoring system.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
They will never be able to ban cell phone from use in cars because of how dependent we have become to them.
Who're you calling we? I've never owned one, and have no plans to - unless the price comes down to where it's lower than my land line, and even then I'd probably leave it at home.

As for laws, I'd suggest this: the cell phone provider tracks calls & timing for billing purposes. So if someone is in an accident, the records are checked. If they were making a call at the time, they're 1) presumed to be at fault until evidence proves otherwise; and 2) are liable for extra punitive damages.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Looks like you an me are the only two dinosaurs left that don't have em.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Who're you calling we? I've never owned one, and have no plans to - unless the price comes down to where it's lower than my land line, and even then I'd probably leave it at home.

As for laws, I'd suggest this: the cell phone provider tracks calls & timing for billing purposes. So if someone is in an accident, the records are checked. If they were making a call at the time, they're 1) presumed to be at fault until evidence proves otherwise; and 2) are liable for extra punitive damages.
This is a very civil board so I counted 10 before replying. "We" means the populace in general, not each and every individual. I applaud your cell phone free life and wish you all success in that regard. "We" don't all have that option.

The idea that someone should be presumed to be at fault if they were making a call is over the top, imho. There are many distractions available to drivers, the cell phone being one. Others are talking to your passengers, disciplining your children, changing the cd player/radio, checking a map or gps system, having a drink of water or soda, eating, etc. That's not to mention the ludicrous ones such as reading a magazine, newspaper, or book (I've seen it), applying makeup, watching television or a dvd, etc. If any one of the above can be shown to have caused an accident, let the ticketing and lawsuits begin but presumption of fault based on an active cell phone call is wrong.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Looks like you an me are the only two dinosaurs left that don't have em.
You guys do have computers though, right?

Oh, never mind...
Old 06-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA32R View Post
This is a very civil board so I counted 10 before replying. "We" means the populace in general, not each and every individual. I applaud your cell phone free life and wish you all success in that regard. "We" don't all have that option.

The idea that someone should be presumed to be at fault if they were making a call is over the top, imho. There are many distractions available to drivers, the cell phone being one. Others are talking to your passengers, disciplining your children, changing the cd player/radio, checking a map or gps system, having a drink of water or soda, eating, etc. That's not to mention the ludicrous ones such as reading a magazine, newspaper, or book (I've seen it), applying makeup, watching television or a dvd, etc. If any one of the above can be shown to have caused an accident, let the ticketing and lawsuits begin but presumption of fault based on an active cell phone call is wrong.
Yeah I had to count to 10 first too. Inevitably, when I nearly get creamed at an intersection or out on the road, it is by a dolt with a phone stuck to their head. It really is.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Yeah I had to count to 10 first too. Inevitably, when I nearly get creamed at an intersection or out on the road, it is by a dolt with a phone stuck to their head. It really is.
Does that happen to you a lot?

Reply  Post New Thread