Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 08:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Some Hypermiling techniques denounced by AAA

Well Now we will see what the court of public opinion has to say. I imagine this is just the first in a long line of article to be coming out.

Quote:
AAA opposes all of those methods, noting that cutting off a car's engine may negatively affect power steering and power brakes; overinflating tires leads to uneven tire wear; and rolling through stop signs and tailgating trucks puts drivers at risk.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

NewBlue - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 38.13 mpg (US)

The Better Half - '97 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 25.84 mpg (US)
Well, here goes,

First off, half the people on this site have cars without power steering, my car has power steering but it's light enough and small enough I can steer it quite well without the power assist.

Second, shouldn't they be glad we're overinflating out tires to whihc "leads to uneven tire wear" because that will give them more business out on the highway when your tire blows.

Third, I personally come to a complete stop at all red lights and stop signs, I may not want to but I do, my office window overlooks a 4 way intersection and during the course of an hour I'll see MAYBE 1-2 cars come to a complete stop. So, that makes me question, is ALL of Albany NY hypermiling? if so shouldn't it be safe if we're all doing the same thing?

Fourth, the above goes for red lights, I've been nearly broadsided multiple times by people racing to make lights and just blowing through them AFTER THE DELAY, my light will have already turned green and they are still running it, BUT they must be hypermiling too as only hypermilers do this to keep from ruining their mileage.

Ok, that's my rant,

Ps. I hate idiots, people that stereotype and can't come up with coherent thoughts are idiots in my mind. Also people who have extremely flawed logic, IE, AAA in this case.
Starting point 30mpg ready...... GO.

The Following User Says Thank You to Blue07CivicEX For This Useful Post:
JacobAziza (03-14-2011)
Old 06-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

True but I doubt there are online communities endorsing those practices.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
OMG! But, what about all those cars back before they had power steering or power brakes!? How did they ever function!?

This is why I always tell people that ride with me and ask about saving gas to practice in a parking lot and make sure they know what to expect before they EVER go on the road and do it. I also tell them to make sure they know how it's going to act with EVERY movement you make. For example, if your steering locks when you turn off the ignition, then you should not EOC or else you might die. Make sure you pump your brakes several times so you know EXACTLY how much force it's going to take to stop your car without power assist brakes. Make sure you know where your hazard lights are without even thinking about it so in case your car doesn't start back up you can get them turned on VERY quickly and get out of the road as fast as possible.

All of these articles I have read assume that everyone does it without knowing what's going to happen before they do. Granted, a lot of the general public probably would, but this is in a country where you can also get your driver's license without any mandatory driver training and education. IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the majority of hypermiling techniques. Rolling through stop signs and drafting, in another of my opinions, yes, is unsafe, however, if the driver chooses to do it then they are taking a risk that could potentially cause them and other drivers harm (more so the stop sign thing then drafting). Not to mention, those two are also the only techniques that are illegal which begs the question why, if so many people are tailgating and rolling stop signs, why haven't more people been getting pulled over for these things?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
So what is their position on driving while using a cell phone?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Who wants to start up "How_to_drive_like_an_a**hole.com" so AAA will write and article about them discussing unsafe techniques on the almighty interweb?

Old 06-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
I understand all of your outrage. Personally, i am a LEGAL performance driving enthusiast. I have a track-only car that i haul to race days. Many people I know also use street legal vehicles with performance mods. A lot o media attention in Ontario has created laws that are unjust and affect these people that I know adversely without them actually doing anything illegal. It has created a anti-performance attitude in the police.

Anyway, my point is, all that crap was caused by a number of idiots who absolutely do not act like the "purists". The purists lose out because of the stupid people.

Consider this... one of the purists on this site who has trained himself for years and modified his car in many ways tells a moron that his tires are at 50psi. Moron equates: If i set my tires to 50psi, i will get 80mpg! Moron then pumps up the tires, tailgates a truck on the highway, the truck hits the brakes, so does the moron and his tires lock up hard because he no longer has the grip he's used to. Moron dies, purist gets blamed. That is what is going on.

As a racer I understand the affects of tire pressure VERY much. If my car is acting oddly, i can adjust 2 tires by 1psi and notice a massive differnce. The reason for the massive difference is that I am ALWAYS on the ragged edge of my car's performance. The only time that a street driver is at the edge of his performance is in a major emergency. No training, no safety gear, no grip due to overinflated tires = dead person.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Well stated, so... AAA should be denouncing morons instead of educated purists, I like it :-) (I know that's not what you said but it's the reality of the matter).

Old 06-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Well, i may have used a lot more words, but yeah... that's exactly what I said.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

You can't compare racing on a closed course with group of people who know what they are doing to hypermiling USA.

The point of posting this was that in order to get the movement going you need to have people interested. By telling people and indorsing(not that this site does it) to do what most would consider risky at minimum and illegal operations is not going to help in the court of public opinion. It will alway be a bunch of kooks getting in everybodys way. Especially when you can get great result without breaking the law or risky behavior. I think that AAA has it right on the things that they had a problem with in the article. As always YMMV

Reply  Post New Thread