EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Somebody talk me out of this 1984 CRX!!! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/somebody-talk-me-out-1984-crx-14811.html)

Gasoline Fumes 10-08-2010 09:02 PM

Somebody talk me out of this 1984 CRX!!!

I found a 1984 Honda CRX 1300 for $700. This is the 1.3L that was only sold for one year before the 1.5L HF made its debut. It's been in a barn since the early 90s, so it's really only about 10 years old. Some rust, but nothing serious. It runs, but the engine might have bent valves. I'm going back to do a compression test. I don't need another project, but I love these cars! :D

user removed 10-08-2010 09:16 PM

I remember either Motor Trend or Car and Driver drove one of those at 55MPH and got 73MPG when it was new.

I bought an 84 new, made in July 1983. It was serial number 1018.

The problem is the spaghetti factory of vacuum lines, switches, servos, and all the issues with them and the carburetor.

They were slow, with 0-60 times of 13.5 seconds, the 1.5 I got was good for 44 MPG and I was not trying to drive it as efficiently as I would today, but it would do 0-60 in about 10 seconds.

If you are patient you might get it back to OE operational condition, but it will certainly be a challenge.

regards
Mech

Gasoline Fumes 10-08-2010 09:28 PM

I used to have an '84 Civic Wagon with the 1.5L, so I know the spaghetti pretty well. I still have the 1.5L engine, but unfortunately it got filled up with water due to a leaking tarp.

Ryland 10-09-2010 11:00 AM

The vacuum lines are not all that bad if you have the diagram on the underside of the hood.
I say to get it! I think their EPA mileage was 52-58mpg for the 1.3L engine as they also have really good gearing if I remember correctly, so it's even better then the HF in some ways.
I've never looked under the hood of the 1.3L but the HF has an aluminum air intake instead of black steel, the steel wheels are narrower and light weight, it's an all around great car.

cfg83 10-09-2010 12:01 PM

Gasoline Fumes -

I agree that you should get it. If you can get it into good running condition, you could always try to put it up for sale here. If you don't want to buy it, maybe you could take PMs and give someone the address for a small finder's fee(?).

CarloSW2

bestclimb 10-09-2010 12:26 PM

might have bent valves is a good your 700 is a bit to high bargaining point.

Gasoline Fumes 10-11-2010 02:43 AM

I haven't gone back yet. The 1984-1987 CRX is one of my favorite cars, but I have no place to put it and have too many projects already. I'd hate to just park it in the woods to rot and attract homeless mice. I might be tempted to make a low offer next time I go by, but anybody here is welcome to pick it up. Better than some kid buying it, half "pimping" it out and then junking it when a "cooler" car comes along. It is (or was on 10/8 anyway) on route 414 in Clyde, NY 14433. "Victoria Red" paint.

jamminjimmy 10-11-2010 04:41 PM

that's awesome that you are sharing this "find" with ecomodder to make help it go to a "loving home"! that's cool.... too far for me though....

comptiger5000 10-11-2010 04:47 PM

It's only about an hour from RIT, but unfortunately, I have nowhere to put a second car, and don't need a second project to work on. As is, the Jeep takes up enough of my time...

Wonderboy 10-11-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

It's only about an hour from RIT, but unfortunately, I have nowhere to put a second car, and don't need a second project to work on. As is, the Jeep takes up enough of my time...
Ditch the f-in jeep. The CRX probably has more cargo space and runs more reliably (and efficiently) anyway.

Gasoline Fumes - BUY IT!! If need be you could easily find someone to bite on redpepperracing dot com. That site is a fantastic resource for 1st gen CRX owners. Tons of parts for sale/trade and very specific knowledge. If the valves are bent, you've got a nice light shell for an electric car. (More projects!!! haha)

Seriously though, do it.