Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 12:12 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
It's not about the virtue of selfishness, it's about earning your way in life. You can still be kind and a good friend without supporting some low-life that's too lazy to work for a living. This doesn't mean that I'm picking on disabled people. I know many intelligent people that require assistance because they are disabled that have contributed greatly to society. Does the name Steven Hawking ring any bells?
The purpose of Objectivism is not to be selfish in one's actions, but to earn your pay and expect the same of others, regardless of the hand you have been dealt in life.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-30-2008, 02:49 AM   #32 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Funny -

They're Ayn Rand's words, not mine :

Virtue of Selfishness
http://www.objectivistcenter.org/cth...lfishness.aspx
Quote:
What does Ayn Rand mean when she describes selfishness as a virtue? - Answered by J. R.

Ayn Rand rejects altruism, the view that self-sacrifice is the moral ideal. She argues that the ultimate moral value, for each human individual, is his or her own well-being. Since selfishness (as she understands it) is serious, rational, principled concern with one's own well-being, it turns out to be a prerequisite for the attainment of the ultimate moral value. For this reason, Rand believes that selfishness is a virtue.
This is admittedly one of her adherents, but it's also the title of her collection of essays on Objectivism. I think you would argue that she is *redefining* the meaning of the word selfish, yes?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 05-30-2008 at 04:42 AM..
Old 05-30-2008, 03:22 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Minded

Lunar Mist - '02 Toyota Tacoma SR5
90 day: 25.31 mpg (US)

Silver Streak - '08 Toyota Corolla S
90 day: 38.25 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chris D.
Does anyone else chuckel or smile out of pity when you see a Suburbon on 24's hauling balls with only 1 person behind the wheel?

I'm sick like that..

Old 06-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
"This is admittedly one of her adherents, but it's also the title of her collection of essays on Objectivism. I think you would argue that she is *redefining* the meaning of the word selfish, yes?

CarloSW2"

I had not read this particular article, and yes I do believe that she must be redefining selfishness. I am not saying that either one of us is wrong, because I still hold to my original statement.
We need more productive people that don't ***** about their work and actually earn their pay, rather that survive by leaching off of other people. I will always hold to that statement. I think the fact that this county is full of people that feel the government and the country "owe them something" when they haven't earned it, is despicable and the worst form of leaching/mooching that one could accomplish. These people aren't willing to help themselves, but they expect you to work so they can collect their welfare check on the first of the month.
I am a registered Republican, however there was a Democrat whose words echo through time and are as true when they were said as they are now. "It is not what the country can do for you, it is what you can do for your country" - JFK
I really should start my own political party of "Americans" because right now, both parties are making me sick.

Reply  Post New Thread