Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
90 day: 121.34 mpg (US)
Ok well the results are in from the highway tank. 35.95 MPG which I think is very good considering I have a couple days of work on the tank too. Which is just cold running the car the mile to work a couple times a day. I think something is playing a factor here I don't know.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Ok been awhile since last update. I got the passenger side mirror deleted, and I got my wing in from the UK. Let me tell you I got a steal on the wing. I picked up a Civic Type R factory Honda wing shipped from the UK for $125. You can't even buy a re-pop or CF one for that price. The Type R wing does require some Modification because the hatches from the Type R and the American EP3 are different. Figured it out and cut the bulk were I needed to and fiberglassed over the hole to keep the water tight integrity of the wing. Then added a strip of foam sealer so when it bolts up the wing wont bounce against the window, it looks amazing. Now working on getting this underbody ready for soothing it out.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:53 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
I believe I see a belt-driven power steering pump on your engine. It might be a stretch since the car is front heavy, but a power steering delete will gain a decent amount of mpg. Your tires don't look too wide so I think turning effort could be tolerable.

If you really want P/S while saving gas, you can buy an electric steering pump off an old MR2 or from a UK Vauxhall or something on ebay.co.uk and hook it up. That's how I would do it on a heavier car.

Another thing that may be a stretch is a racing mirror on the driver's side. It won't have electric adjustment so that might be a problem. My MR2 has the driver's seat bolted straight to the frame so I can do that mod without trouble.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I believe I see a belt-driven power steering pump on your engine. It might be a stretch since the car is front heavy, but a power steering delete will gain a decent amount of mpg. Your tires don't look too wide so I think turning effort could be tolerable.

If you really want P/S while saving gas, you can buy an electric steering pump off an old MR2 or from a UK Vauxhall or something on ebay.co.uk and hook it up. That's how I would do it on a heavier car.

Another thing that may be a stretch is a racing mirror on the driver's side. It won't have electric adjustment so that might be a problem. My MR2 has the driver's seat bolted straight to the frame so I can do that mod without trouble.
Thanks I'm going to look into that now!
Old 11-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
ok on that note I have been schooled more on this EP3. They came stock with an EPS system so don't have to delete that. The thing you are seeing is the AC unit which I'm looking into getting rid of.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
The A/C is clutched so drag is very small. You basically have a belt on a free-spinning pulley. I doubt removing it will show up in your fuel economy above background noise, and the weight savings will be minimal. Still, it might help to make some room under the hood, making other things easier to work on?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Xist (11-09-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
The A/C is clutched so drag is very small. You basically have a belt on a free-spinning pulley. I doubt removing it will show up in your fuel economy above background noise, and the weight savings will be minimal. Still, it might help to make some room under the hood, making other things easier to work on?

I want to remove it due the fact that it's tied to the heating and you can't turn it off when I'm using the defroster setting. Which make no sense to me and when that kicks in you can see the MPGs go down on the UG and can also feel it on the power side of the house.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Nice car. Still running the tires at 35PSI? Bumping that up a bit would be free MPGs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by compdrag View Post
I want to remove it due the fact that it's tied to the heating and you can't turn it off when I'm using the defroster setting. Which make no sense to me and when that kicks in you can see the MPGs go down on the UG and can also feel it on the power side of the house.
Why not just put a switch to disable the AC clutch for when the car wants it but you don't?

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 11-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Nice car. Still running the tires at 35PSI? Bumping that up a bit would be free MPGs.
Why not just put a switch to disable the AC clutch for when the car wants it but you don't?
Was thinking that or just pulling he fuse for it.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by compdrag View Post
ok on that note I have been schooled more on this EP3. They came stock with an EPS system so don't have to delete that. The thing you are seeing is the AC unit which I'm looking into getting rid of.
Ah okay, that's nice. Some Honda K engine powered cars had belt driven power steering, which consumes about as much power as all of the electric accessories combined, sometimes even more.

It's funny that you're getting rid of A/C. I'm in California, I have the heater core disconnected but you would have to pry the A/C from my cold dead hands before I get rid of it, and I'm not even in Socal where it's actually hot year round.

For cost effectiveness I think you can get this "F1 style" mirror off Ebay. Not the lowest drag design, but an improvement over stock:
For 01-05 Civic 2DR F1 Manual Adjustable Carbon Fiber Painted Side View Mirror

The carbon fiber is fake and fitment is probably not the best, you probably want to paint over it with black paint.

Reply  Post New Thread