Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joggernot View Post
Darcane - I, too, owe you one. It worked on the 2000 Accord V6 as well. No flashing lights, so I just held it for several seconds. When restarted, I could turn the A/C on and off with the defrost on. Thanks for the link.
You're both welcome.

I was a little surprised when I first found out about it. I'm glad Honda decided to put the feature in, even though it's not widely known. Now if more automakers would allow the option...

Compdrag: earlier you stated that it didn't make sense "why" A/C and defrost are linked. You came from Montana, right? When it's cold and dry, heat alone will do a decent job clearing the windshield. Here in Washington, it's not as cold, but it's very wet. These conditions often require drying the air (A/C does that) before heating it to clear the fog off the windshield. Even in cold, dry conditions, the windshield will clear faster with A/C on, so manufacturers link them together.

I find myself turning the A/C on in the winter far more than in the summer. In the long run, think you'll be glad you changed the behavior of the HVAC controls rather than completely diasabling it.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following User Says Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
Xist (11-09-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
90 day: 120.17 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
You're both welcome.

I was a little surprised when I first found out about it. I'm glad Honda decided to put the feature in, even though it's not widely known. Now if more automakers would allow the option...

Compdrag: earlier you stated that it didn't make sense "why" A/C and defrost are linked. You came from Montana, right? When it's cold and dry, heat alone will do a decent job clearing the windshield. Here in Washington, it's not as cold, but it's very wet. These conditions often require drying the air (A/C does that) before heating it to clear the fog off the windshield. Even in cold, dry conditions, the windshield will clear faster with A/C on, so manufacturers link them together.

I find myself turning the A/C on in the winter far more than in the summer. In the long run, think you'll be glad you changed the behavior of the HVAC controls rather than completely diasabling it.
Oh I get why this is just the first Honda I have had that they linked the system to. My wife's Pilot doesn't do it, so thats why it doesn't make sense to me why they just didn't make the A/C option work of the show room. And yes Montana you just throw the heat on and don't worry so much about the moisture.

On another note I have Sparkle up on jack stands right now, Mocking up pieces for the belly pan. Hardest one is around the oil pan, because it needs to be able to come down. But good news is I can connect the pieces to the front skid plastic. So underneath the complete engine will be sealed up. Also getting one of the channels sealed up to about halfway back. I only have three pieces of plastic right now, I will have to get more. But hey everything has to have a starting place.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Ok well I got as far as I could with what I had on hand for the corrugated plastic. But under the engine is completely covered. I'm about halfway back on the left side. Now to get more so that I can go back further.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Ok so I have been messing around with P&G with engine on the past week or so on my highway trips. Since I had a 65 mile round trip to take my son to therapy then back home to swimming why not see what numbers I could achieve using the technique. Well I'm surprised I almost made it to 50 mpg. I was pulsing to 70 then gliding to 50mph. I saw 49 for a little, but hills on the way back killed it. Some good stuff though. Think I'll stick with it.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:08 AM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Impressive! You're starting to get into Insight territory, there are plenty of people who drive these cars and get less than 50. If you had the opportunity to lower your speed a little you might even see 60. Aero drag goes up by the cube of speed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
compdrag (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Impressive! You're starting to get into Insight territory, there are plenty of people who drive these cars and get less than 50. If you had the opportunity to lower your speed a little you might even see 60. Aero drag goes up by the cube of speed.
So what numbers should I got to. 65 to 50 or do smaller pulses and glides staying 60-50. I'm open to any number I just did 70 because I could get there staying at or about 20 mpg and only taking anywhere between 15-20 secs on the pulse and gliding the equal or more.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Boat tail it and you can go hammer down all the time.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Generally speaking, the lower your average speed the better your numbers will be. Drag goes up by the cube of speed so 65 to 50 should be better than 70 to 45.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
compdrag (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Generally speaking, the lower your average speed the better your numbers will be. Drag goes up by the cube of speed so 65 to 50 should be better than 70 to 45.
I'll try 65 to 50 this next week on the same stretch of 65 mile distance.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Well another 65 mile trip down, and I didn't get a higher number, but I did get around the same. 47.5 so a .4 drop. So I went back to the weather calendar and noticed that last week it was 20 degrees warmer than it was yesterday. I don't know how much that would play into it, but it might. I did get a good overall tank average at 33 mpg, which I think is due to the two trips of 65 miles averaging over 47 MPG. Even still this rig is only supposed to get 25 mpg combined/ 28 highway. So I think I'm doing a little something right. I'm going to keep trying to hit that magic number of 50. I was almost there when I did the first leg of the journey I hit the off ramp to take to get to my sons therapy at 49, but the city driving to it dropped it to 48 something when I parked. I might just bump the tire pressure a little more to see if I can get there.